Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

5 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

Scott Carson re signed for another 12 months as city number 3. Bit unsure where that puts Trafford in the pecking order if it all. Highly unlikely he’ll replace that Ortega

City will be cashing in asap 

Scott Carson left back?  They'll still win the league though, unless Trafford is their no 2 instead of Walker.

5 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Jonson Clarke Harris has the kind of scoring record you rarely see these days. It's definitely a grade above anything on our books. Posh spent £1m on him so will want a return. But he's 28 now. Not exactly over the hill but equally its at that age when someone's value just starts to slip ever so slightly. I suspect an offer of £800K might succeed provided there was no auction. That's probably a bit rich for us unless we flogged an asset to part pay for him.

We were talking about Toney being a relatively late developer yesterday, and JCH similar.  I hadn't realised till I just checked he played a combined 57 games for Bury and Oldham!  Only scored 11.  Then 9 in 71 for Rotherham and 12 in 58 for MKD, Doncaster and Coventry.  Upto the age of 24/25.  Makes no sense to the outsider that's he's now bagging 20+ goals a season year after year.

Edited by Johnnyrotten

23 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We were talking about Toney being a relatively late developer yesterday, and JCH similar.  I hadn't realised till I just checked he played a combined 57 goals for Bury and Oldham!  Only scored 11.  Then 9 in 71 for Rotherham and 12 in 58 for MKD, Doncaster and Coventry.  Upto the age of 24/25.  Makes no sense to the outsider that's he's now bagging 20+ goals a season year after year.

Nope. It can happen and there are good examples. 

Best example of a late developer at Bolton (admittedly not a striker) is Steve Thompson.

58 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Nope. It can happen and there are good examples. 

Best example of a late developer at Bolton (admittedly not a striker) is Steve Thompson.

I think if it was the current era, with social media and every goal on TV, Tomo would have been snapped up well before he was.  A class act once he was playing central midfield, 1st season 83-84 he was out of position on the wing and was never a winger with his lack of pace.  Scored 50 goals for us from midfield, I'd be amazed if many others have done that. 

In the current team the nearest to him in style is Morley, passing long and short, good from dead balls and capable of a long range shot on target.  On pitch personality not dissimilar too, just get on with the job and seem modest and good team players.

And I worked for Tomo's brother Mark for a few years, had a season ticket at Blackpool.

7 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think if it was the current era, with social media and every goal on TV, Tomo would have been snapped up well before he was.  A class act once he was playing central midfield, 1st season 83-84 he was out of position on the wing and was never a winger with his lack of pace.  Scored 50 goals for us from midfield, I'd be amazed if many others have done that. 

In the current team the nearest to him in style is Morley, passing long and short, good from dead balls and capable of a long range shot on target.  On pitch personality not dissimilar too, just get on with the job and seem modest and good team players.

And I worked for Tomo's brother Mark for a few years, had a season ticket at Blackpool.

It was only really in his fourth of fifth full season that he became the player we knew. He was chucked in at the deep end too early and expected to play week in week out. What a good un though. Talent spotting is such a massive job in football. The trick is picking out a gem like Tommo in a very average team and investing in the player. We've done it with Morley, Toal and one or two others. It'll be interesting to see if we make any of those style of signings this summer.

8 minutes ago, tomski said:

Johnson Clarke Harris should be avoided for 2 reasons.

1 is his name being the wrong way round.

2 that clearance at full time for Peterborough v Sheff deserved jail time.

... & the cost of kids having that on the back of their shirts.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, tomski said:

Johnson Clarke Harris should be avoided for 2 reasons.

1 is his name being the wrong way round.

2 that clearance at full time for Peterborough v Sheff deserved jail time.

I dont normally take any note of oppo players, but this fella stands out cos of his size

Ive seen him live twice and been v unimpressed

Maybe its cos hes the perfect opponent for santos

Peterborough are releasing Francis Kent. Please do not be fooled into thinking JCHarris will be the solution to our goal scoring misdemeanours. Franny Kent is the CB we should be going in for only young and pboro transfer policy is list them whilst on last year of contract. 

Oscar Norburn also could be coy singing. 
m

48 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Not as close as he was, but he’s still got plenty of inside info… not sure why he has so many haters. 

Because, & it's part of his job I guess, he drips info. in small bits, never quite firmly saying anything. Always ensuring deniability. It's fckg irritating.