Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

13 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Well remembered!  Dutch midfielder, played at Burnden for Millwall and looked like a cross between Kluivert & Rijkarrd 😁 I was buzzing at the prospect of signing him but he hardly played after he left Millwall.

Indeed. Though Rioch brought John McGinley ... ex Bury & Yeovil who was in Millwall reserves, and Leith Brannighan who also couldn't buy a game down at the Den.

Who knows if a time with is, under Rioch would have made it a different story.

12 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Remember being linked with Eoin Jess on teletext clubcall.

At the risk of turning this into a 90s transfer rumour nostalgia thread I think there was a point where we were linked with pretty much all of Aberdeen's forwards at the time; Eoin Jess, Scott Booth, Duncan Shearer and Dean Windass. 

I think the thing is that Evatt has a very specific style of play in mind and Markham et al have a very data driven recruitment model so it wouldn't surprise me if we get more players who can run for miles, have strong physical attributes but can't score goals for toffee. Dan for example is a specimen but he has the touch of a rapist. Victor is a decent midfielder who was pushed up front at Burton out of necessity and as he wasn't required to track back and press got all the chances they created - but in our system he doesn't get them.

I bet JDB's running stats are pants - but I'd back him more than anyone in the squad to put away a chance in the box. If we want players who have both workrate AND goals we need a bigger chequebook IMO.

The system Evatt wants us to play requires better quality players to work efficiently.

4 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

I think the thing is that Evatt has a very specific style of play in mind and Markham et al have a very data driven recruitment model so it wouldn't surprise me if we get more players who can run for miles, have strong physical attributes but can't score goals for toffee. Dan for example is a specimen but he has the touch of a rapist. Victor is a decent midfielder who was pushed up front at Burton out of necessity and as he wasn't required to track back and press got all the chances they created - but in our system he doesn't get them.

I bet JDB's running stats are pants - but I'd back him more than anyone in the squad to put away a chance in the box. If we want players who have both workrate AND goals we need a bigger chequebook IMO.

The system Evatt wants us to play requires better quality players to work efficiently.

Cameron Jerome?

11 hours ago, Zico said:

Imagine if after all this we go and sign devante cole in a swap deal with Dion Charles 

Hopefully not Zico but if rumours of Rico being sold come to pass then I wouldn’t mind their centre half Andersen who looked a real battler and saved their bacon several times with blocks against both us and the Wendies.

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Data driven bants? If so all good.

Yeah man. 86.% of his attempted jokes are funny.

He does a full routine like that bloke who does the noises off police academy, led zeppelin the lot.

6 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

I think Evatt still has much to learn about systems and despite his desire to play his way through teams, which I do admire, he needs to accept that you can’t always do that and sometimes you do need a plan B. At the moment all our changes in games are like for like because all our players are much the same and it rarely affects the outcome. Despite the size of our squad we don’t have one player who is an aerial threat from crosses or corners and I’d like to see someone brought in who can provide that when a bit more route one is needed.

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Said many times bizarre signing this especially the length of the deal 18 months for a 36year old journeyman!

Difference for me over “What was the plan signing him?” and “Has the plan worked?” 

Clearly the plan hasn’t worked 

But In my eyes the plan was very clear.

We desperately needed forwards after JDB and Dapo became unavailable for different reasons. Furthermore, at the time he ticked lots of boxes; big target man, a striker who would compliment Charles, a forward who brings a wealth of experience, a striker who was valued and appreciated at the championship club he was at, an impact sub to give us a different option and a respected professional within the game who the younger players can learn from.

And being a January transfer he was probably only going to move for an 18 month contract. 

Don’t think picking up niggly injuries has helped. But after that first game against Charlton it seemed those plans for signing him would prove fruitful.

But I agree, he certainly hasn’t kicked on from this, there’s been cameos, like the Wembley game, when his hold up play and movement created a couple of late chances.

But it’s not enough.

23 minutes ago, gonzo said:

He does a full routine like that bloke who does the noises off police academy, led zeppelin the lot.

Hard to argue any of that.

If he was at 95%+ he’d be at Real Madrid. Bargain really.

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Expected Laughs 1.85

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Difference for me over “What was the plan signing him?” and “Has the plan worked?” 

Clearly the plan hasn’t worked 

But In my eyes the plan was very clear.

We desperately needed forwards after JDB and Dapo became unavailable for different reasons. Furthermore, at the time he ticked lots of boxes; big target man, a striker who would compliment Charles, a forward who brings a wealth of experience, a striker who was valued and appreciated at the championship club he was at, an impact sub to give us a different option and a respected professional within the game who the younger players can learn from.

And being a January transfer he was probably only going to move for an 18 month contract. 

Don’t think picking up niggly injuries has helped. But after that first game against Charlton it seemed those plans for signing him would prove fruitful.

But I agree, he certainly hasn’t kicked on from this, there’s been cameos, like the Wembley game, when his hold up play and movement created a couple of late chances.

But it’s not enough.

I get the idea we’ve seen in the past it’s worked with Taylor, marshal, bobic etc on this occasion it hasn’t (well last season)

nobody was expecting him to rip it up but you’d be looking at him at say barnsley away 2nd leg to bring his expertise to the table he wasn’t brought on until 85 mins

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Think it is clear thar Evatt had no faith in either his fitness or style, or both.

Maybe he just wasn't quite fit enough when he arrived, and suffered injuries as a consequence.

Whatever the case, he was a disappointment.

Experience and dressing room presence aside, it seems unlikely that CJ was an out and out gamble given the data stuff, but when you lose a guy like JDB who can hold the ball up, bring in other players and finish like a good 'un, finding a replacement ain't easy - as Dan, Victor and CJ found out.