Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

2 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

I fully accept he wasn’t good enough but when he first came in the defence in front of him wasn’t the best and after we signed Trafford he got virtually no football from week to week as he wasn’t even playing regularly for the B Team. Just throwing him in occasionally just wasn’t fair to me and it was no wonder that the lad always looked nervous and lacking confidence. I do think he’s a better keeper than he’s showed here and I just hope that out of the spotlight and playing regularly at Hartlepool he can get his confidence back and show that.

2nd choice goalkeepers very rarely get any game time.  Calling him up for the occasional game isn't treating him shabbily, it's giving him chance to prove he's up to the job, but he failed pretty much every time.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, DazBob said:

2nd choice goalkeepers very rarely get any game time.  Calling him up for the occasional game isn't treating him shabbily, it's giving him chance to prove he's up to the job, but he failed pretty much every time.

We only lost 1 game when he was in goal last season, and that was against Aston Villa. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sorry to see him leave. Just think his "failure" has been massively over-egged.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
Just now, DazBob said:

So he didn't make any fuck ups in any of the other games he played?

If conceding a goal is a "fuck up", then yes he made a few. So did Trafford. So does the best goalkeeper in the world.

10 minutes ago, Cheese said:

If conceding a goal is a "fuck up", then yes he made a few. So did Trafford. So does the best goalkeeper in the world.

Conceding a goal isn't a fuck up.  Conceding a goal through a horrendous error is a fuck up ... and Dixon made far too many.

If you don't agree then fair enough.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Conceding a goal isn't a fuck up.  Conceding a goal through a horrendous error is a fuck up ... and Dixon made far too many.

I neither agree nor disagree. I just think his level of "failure" has been massively exaggerated.

29 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Felt like every game he was given a chance. There's conceding and there's just being not good enough and error prone, like De Gea but more common.

29 minutes ago, Didledee said:

Felt like every game he was given a chance. There's conceding and there's just being not good enough and error prone, like De Gea but more common.

De Gea, the gift that keeps on giving.  I don't think he did one thing in the cup final that Dixon couldn't have done equally.  Then again neither did City's keeper.  

As much as anything else a keeper needs to instil confidence in the defence and at Pro level the crowd. 

Dixon did neither at Bolton. I was at Hartlepool when he made probably his biggest fuck up. The abuse he got that night when trying to apologise was disgraceful, he was a long way off our worst player that night. 

The fact he came straight after Crellin I think people were already nervous and the fact Trafford was so good magnified his shortcomings. The level he has dropped to probably reflects how badly his time here went.