Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

5 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Dion seems to have cut out that "one touch too many" syndrome from last season. He's a learning football still on an upward curve. I'd love him to get 20 goals this season without the aid of penalties - and I think he's capable of it.

Pity we can’t get a fully fit JB all season, think dion would be even better with a settled partnership up top.

26 minutes ago, onefinfrandsen said:

Pity we can’t get a fully fit JB all season, think dion would be even better with a settled partnership up top.

Presumably the settled partner is Vic?  Without checking there can't be many league games since his first start in Feb that the front 2 hasn't been Charles & Vic.  It looks very much like those two start if fit.

1 hour ago, Horwich said:

Evatt backing his squad here.

Could die on his sword?

Dion has the workrate Evatt demands so it's good business on many levels. Sell and the contract has to be bought out, keep and he'll do the job. With a good partner we're OK up front - it's the midfield that needs upgrading.

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

Dion has the workrate Evatt demands so it's good business on many levels. Sell and the contract has to be bought out, keep and he'll do the job. With a good partner we're OK up front - it's the midfield that needs upgrading.

Sadly the thing that has not been mentioned with Rico now injured and Toal not back playing we are starting to look light at centre half too. 

so apart from upfront, midfield and defence we are sound. 😀

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

Rob Holding likely to leave arsenal this window, apparently we'll be owed a sell on fee

I was gutted about that. At the time I saw Holding,Vela and Connell as the basis of a team that would keep us going when times were very hard and we were facing oblivion, Rated Holding even though he was young and naive and thought we were robbed when we let him go. Could do with all 3 of them now IMO - especially if they'd benefited from Evatt's tutelage.

Even today, I'd happily swap Vela and Connell for Sheehan and Morley.

Edited by Wanderlust

• Moderators
1 hour ago, burnden said:

Didn't KA cash that in? 

Apparently we cashed in on his add ons relating to appearances and all that  

As in it was meant to be like 500k after 50 appearances but we took 200k instead after 20

But not the sell on clause, that remained as was

6 hours ago, desperado said:

Wow

Wow to your wow. Are you seriously saying you'd prefer to keep our soft centre?

If you want to make it a hat trick I'd also swap any of our CBs for Holding if it were possible - but it's all theoretical because we had little choice but to cash in on Holding, Vela and Connell at the time and couldn't therefore benefit from the Championship standard leaders they are today.

34 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Wow to your wow. Are you seriously saying you'd prefer to keep our soft centre?

If you want to make it a hat trick I'd also swap any of our CBs for Holding if it were possible - but it's all theoretical because we had little choice but to cash in on Holding, Vela and Connell at the time and couldn't therefore benefit from the Championship standard leaders they are today.

Vela championship standard? you must be joking

The main reason for us being in top six nearly all last season was a sound defence built, at various times, on Santos, Johnston, Toal and Aimson. Only Toal of those likely to be on a pitch for us in next few weeks so anything that happens between now and Friday night you'd think would be focused on that area. Aside from that I'd still like to see Evatt getting in a genuine screening DM. 

Much as it'd be fun to be thinking of JCH plus Charles and Vic as scoring options I can't see it. Evatt's nailed his colours firmly to the Nlundulu project, not suddenly going to ditch him and I can't see him loaning Jerome out unless he himself pushes for it. 

44 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

For me we still have an issue up top but really no room to add another

dion & vic being the starters then that’s about it, still not sure vic will deliver if I’m honest 

JDB will spend more time out

Dan & Jerome who unfortunately don’t seem to have much about them 

JDB and CJ will be bit part players unless we're playing against lower league opposition in e.g. the EFL Trophy or losing with 20 minutes to go when IE throws on as many strikers as are available I reckon.

The thing with Dan though is that his stats for workrate and successful passes are decent which highlights the issue with the moneyball approach to recruitment. Similar to our possession stats, it's all well and good but it's what we do with that possession - and what Dan does with his passes - that really matters. I think IE will stick with Dan in the hope that he becomes more lethal for as long as possible.

2 hours ago, 1969 said:

Vela championship standard? you must be joking

So no argument from you that Holding and Connell are of that standard then? It's a start :)

I think Vela would be great for us right now. He's a leader (club captain) a shithouse DM that would take no shit from the likes of Wigan and he can play a bit. Nobody would be bullying us with those three plus Dempsey in our team and unlike Sheehan and Morley - who often crumble when they are facing an aggressive press - they can play under pressure and turn the tables.

It's just my opinion - which is that it's a shame we had to lose  them when we did - after all, we invested in them since they were kids.

2 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

So no argument from you that Holding and Connell are of that standard then? It's a start :)

I think Vela would be great for us right now. He's a leader (club captain) a shithouse DM that would take no shit from the likes of Wigan and he can play a bit. Nobody would be bullying us with those three plus Dempsey in our team and unlike Sheehan and Morley - who often crumble when they are facing an aggressive press - they can play under pressure and turn the tables.

It's just my opinion - which is that it's a shame we had to lose  them when we did - after all, we invested in them since they were kids.

Holding is a no brainer 

Connelly is debatable 

Cornell has not played yet this season as was Ill preseason but if fit he is a class above our current midfield.

Holding goes without saying a player who has been linked with £10m plus moves would improve us.

Neither are serious options LV signed a 4 year deal last season. 

Vela - I would not swap any of our midfield for him and I am the biggest advocate of us needing to strengthen in there. 

3 hours ago, Ani said:

Vela - I would not swap any of our midfield for him and I am the biggest advocate of us needing to strengthen in there. 

I'm with you on that.  One of the more irritating players of our recent past.  Whilst accepting he had some good moments in our promotion season, he was/is very limited and predictable in his style of play.  He has that side to him that leaves a foot in deliberately, as we see every time he plays us.  That's not being a hard man, that's just being a knob, whilst collecting needless yellows.  I'm glad I only have to watch him once a season currently.