Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

11 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He’s not losing pace at 28 he’s had virtual season playing out of position, much better at right wing back, he’s more than adequate as a right wingback at this level. 

Really frustrating with Jones this season, played out of position and we've better options than him on the bench for the position he's covering. He's miles better than Cogley to. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, tomski said:

Sounds like Trafford is gonna get a decent move. Linked with Chelsea and Newcastle. Laughable that some suggested he should of gone to the championship.

Aye, said all along if he's any good in the PL he'll get a move to another club

2 hours ago, tomski said:

Sounds like Trafford is gonna get a decent move. Linked with Chelsea and Newcastle. Laughable that some suggested he should of gone to the championship.

Not sure if it will have a knock on but I’m worried we will lose Baxter

Based on what I saw of his Burnley games, I'd definitely say he needs a season in the championship, he hasn't proved himself above L1 yet.  

As an aside, Chelsea buying players before they get a new manager is an interesting one, so players will be potentially joining without knowing if the new manager wants them (I could be wide of the mark if the new manager is already lined up and discussed transfers).

2 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

If a keeper isn't going to command his area like Trafford hasn't learned to do you need a centre back to take the lead, Santos was doing that for him whilst he was here. The Burnley defence was at 6s & 7s all the time even after Traf was dropped his replacement was making even worse howlers

The 2 howlers that Muric made that you're probably referring to were related to that modern footy tactic of "fannying around at the back" and he was found wanting with his feet (at Everton and an OG v Brighton).  Aerially he looked more commanding than Trafford (as Baxter does) and made some great saves, he looked a better all round keeper to me, hard to see Trafford getting his place back next season if both stay.

51 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Really frustrating with Jones this season, played out of position and we've better options than him on the bench for the position he's covering. He's miles better than Cogley to. 

I wouldn't go with "miles better" but I agree with your general point - 2 positions weakened by playing JDC instead of Jones at RWB, and Jones instead of either Toal or Forrester at CB on the right. 

Make that 3 positions weakened if you add in Toal playing out of position on the left.  I'll throw in no.4 too as I'd have the strength, leadership and height of Iredale at LWB instead of the weakness of the other options personally.

Had a really mad and vivid dream last night that somebody suggested we sack Ian Evatt and bring in Phil Brown.

Need to stop eating cheese before bedtime :(

15 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Had a really mad and vivid dream last night that somebody suggested we sack Ian Evatt and bring in Phil Brown.

Need to stop eating cheese before bedtime :(

Not sure about sacking him to bring in Phil Brown but someone on here did suggest Sunbed as a replacement if Evatt does go.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I wouldn't go with "miles better" but I agree with your general point - 2 positions weakened by playing JDC instead of Jones at RWB, and Jones instead of either Toal or Forrester at CB on the right. 

Make that 3 positions weakened if you add in Toal playing out of position on the left.  I'll throw in no.4 too as I'd have the strength, leadership and height of Iredale at LWB instead of the weakness of the other options personally.

It’s baffling how Forrester been left out at the business end of the season, I’d played him left central defender ahead of Iredale, he’s a better defender, great on the ball and puts his body on the line, the only decision should of been JDC or Jones as rwb. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Posted (edited)

Be interesting to know what if any funds are available to buy players, FV have backed IE but personally think that’s the lot unless it’s raised from sales

rotherham are serious by the quality they’ve recruited so far and they’ve been free transfers so it can be done 

Edited by radcliffe white

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s baffling how Forrester been left out at the business end of the season, I’d played him left central defender ahead of Iredale, he’s a better defender, great on the ball and puts his body on the line, the only decision should of been JDC or Jones as rwb. 

At the time he unluckily got injured he was showing himself to be all of those things, had put in some really good performances. 

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Be interesting to know what if any funds are available to buy players, FV have backed IE but personally think that’s the lot unless it’s raised from sales

rotherham are serious by the quality they’ve recruited so far and they’ve been free transfers so it can be done 

Rotherham seem to be signing experienced/been there done it type players to get them promoted rather than to look ahead 2 years.  That's what we're up against in a way, we don't have a policy of signing players to get us results now, the so-called moneyball policy wouldn't entertain someone like Clark-Harris or Rhodes.  But when two of our costliest signings are Dan and Vic, there's a flaw in our plan! (Collins a great signing though).   Its a bit frustrating to see free transfer players on the market that we probably won't be interested in due to their age, but some of our rivals won't have a problem signing them.  Derby didn't mind having oldies in their team.

31 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

At the time he unluckily got injured he was showing himself to be all of those things, had put in some really good performances. 

Forrester was sacrificed to allow Jones a starting spot, no way should Jones start as a centre back in front of  Forester, I like Jones but it’s him or Cogley 1 from 2 as RWB. 

15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Rotherham seem to be signing experienced/been there done it type players to get them promoted rather than to look ahead 2 years.  That's what we're up against in a way, we don't have a policy of signing players to get us results now, the so-called moneyball policy wouldn't entertain someone like Clark-Harris or Rhodes.  But when two of our costliest signings are Dan and Vic, there's a flaw in our plan! (Collins a great signing though).   Its a bit frustrating to see free transfer players on the market that we probably won't be interested in due to their age, but some of our rivals won't have a problem signing them.  Derby didn't mind having oldies in their team.

It’s absolutely baffling if they want to operate that way fine but I suspect hanging around in this league much longer then, just look at the sides who’ve left over the years bags of old heads & work dogs does what his says on the tin 

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Forrester and Iredale should not be in competition with each other.

Assuming we continue with three centre backs, LCB should only be covered by Johnson, Iredale or Ashworth.

There were a number of things wrong with the defence last season and one the biggest was constantly playing right footers at LCB.

29 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

It’s absolutely baffling if they want to operate that way fine but I suspect hanging around in this league much longer then, just look at the sides who’ve left over the years bags of old heads & work dogs does what his says on the tin 

It's about what the brief is I suppose, before a ball is kicked in August and whether that's changed / needs to change this time round. Is it i) get promoted any old how ii) get promoted playing a certain style of football iii) get promoted playing a certain style of football and with a money ball policy

While ii) or iii) may be nice, i) surely needs to be the priority now or we may run the risk of being a big posh version of Crewe

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I get that he’s young and short of match fitness, and I do rate what I’ve seen of him, but Forrester’s last appearance was the home game we should’ve won (when Ogbeta chose to chest it in), which felt like it had consolidated us to the play offs through not winning.

Think it was Shrewsbury at home. He was absolutely dreadful that night. I’m not surprised we haven’t seen him since.

I’m also a massive fan of Gethin. And when he’s occasionally roaming forward in the RCB role to support the attack, he’s excellent. Definitely prefer him at RWB though. 

38 minutes ago, Rival Son said:

Forrester and Iredale should not be in competition with each other.

Assuming we continue with three centre backs, LCB should only be covered by Johnson, Iredale or Ashworth.

There were a number of things wrong with the defence last season and one the biggest was constantly playing right footers at LCB.

Correct IMO.  Not to mention a fair chunk of the play off final with a right footed LWB.  Not a winger to be seen when we needed some flair and creativity, but 5 defenders.

3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Yes but they’re all experienced players which rules them out for IE.

3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Rotherham's wage bill/bonus payments might make for interesting reading.