Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

1 hour ago, Ratwhite said:

Said for ages, play Iredale in that role.

He's got the agressive / nasty streak we need

You have to be good with the ball. He's not good with the ball. The player playing DM has to be able to what Sheehan does and take the ball off the CBS. He's not agile enough. He's also very left footed.

2 hours ago, desperado said:

For those who can’t access:

KYLE Dempsey has opened up on the pain he suffered whilst playing for Wanderers this season with a fractured back.

After picking up the injury in a heavy challenge against Fleetwood just four games into the new campaign, the midfielder tried to patch himself up and continued to play regularly until the start of October, when scans detected a problem in his vertebrae.

Looking back at the decision to play on, Dempsey admits he did himself no favours by carrying the injury as long as he did.

“For me, it has been a really difficult year,” he said. “I don’t think many fans would have realised at the time when I was playing, and my standards sort of started dropping, that I played for a good two months with the fractured back.

“Because of the numbers we were down to at the time, and we didn’t really have any midfield options, I just thought I could keep getting out there. I’d do my best.

“I was only really training Thursdays and Fridays to try and manage the pain and loading up on painkillers and injections just to stay out there on the field.

“It got to the point where my levels of performance had dropped that much that I had to try and protect myself, and that is a learning curve for me.

“Sometimes you think you are doing a job for the team and helping the team but I was so hindered I couldn’t really turn or get up to maximum speed.”

Even after returning a month later with a goal in the 7-0 thumping of Exeter City, Dempsey carried a hamstring injury for a number of weeks, further limiting his performances.

He managed to start 28 games for Boltonin all competitions but is now hoping that a full pre-season can get him back up to speed, allowing him to make more of an impact when the team returns in the summer.

“From last year, at the back end of the season, I had such a good run of form and was playing really good football,” he said. “And then I started off this season really well too.

“But I have just been hindered, really. It has been one of those seasons where I have had injuries which I haven’t been able to help. It has been frustrating and disappointing.”

Dempsey is one of nine players who has made a century of appearances for Ian Evatt at Wanderers, his milestone reached in the Good Friday goalless draw at Stevenage.

Ricardo Santos, Gethin Jones, George Thomason, Aaron Morley, Dion Charles, Josh Sheehan and Dapo Afolayan are the other centurions under the Bolton boss – but with two years left on the contract he signed last summer, Dempsey is looking forward to adding many more to his tally.

“I didn’t realise it at the time but to get that many appearances under my belt in such a short space of time is massive, especially at a club of this size,” he said.

“It is something that I am proud of. I’ve still got a long time left on my contract and I want to make as many appearances as I can.”

Credit to Dempsey, can't fault his attitude, but "we didn't have midfield options" isn't a roaring endorsement of Morley who seemed fit as a fiddle while he started most if not all those games on the bench!

Of course we had options.

Regarding injuries, is he another that's injury prone?  Not sure where the line is crossed between "unlucky to pick up injuries" and "injury prone" but we seem to have a few in that bracket.

25 minutes ago, Arrested development said:

You have to be good with the ball. He's not good with the ball. The player playing DM has to be able to what Sheehan does and take the ball off the CBS. He's not agile enough. He's also very left footed.

Disagree you need a DM who can win the ball protect the defence and play a simple pass to players like Sheehan who can pass the ball and make things happen. 

• Members
4 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Disagree you need a DM who can win the ball protect the defence and play a simple pass to players like Sheehan who can pass the ball and make things happen. 

Well I suppose you can have either,  but in the system we played last season the DM (Sheehan) was a playmaker who dropped deep rather than a bonafide defensive midfielder 

Irrdale wouldn't cut it in that role (and I'm not convinced he'd cut it in any other midfield role either)

42 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Well I suppose you can have either,  but in the system we played last season the DM (Sheehan) was a playmaker who dropped deep rather than a bonafide defensive midfielder 

Maybe this is where some of our problems are. However it's not just that Sheehan hasn't got the physique and defensive qualities that are often found in holding midfielders. It's also that he's another "non-talker". We have a team full of them (our captain included). When things go wrong we often drift in a paralysis, stuck in our system and playing at too slow a pace. Then Evatt starts the bingo number substitutions hoping it'll jolt us. 

If we can have one or two on the pitch who've been around the block a few times to talk and cajole a bit it's going to bring better management "in-game" to use a modern footballing phrase. The DM role is a good one to have that type of character in.

57 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Irrdale wouldn't cut it in that role (and I'm not convinced he'd cut it in any other midfield role either)

That’s the tweak needed to the system a DM who can sit in front of the back 3 and cover for the WB who are easily caught out of position and this is what the DM can do he can fill in these gaps but Sheehan in this present system cannot do this he’s too easily knocked off the ball . 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Ratwhite said:

Said for ages, play Iredale in that role.

He's got the agressive / nasty streak we need

Start an argument in am empty room.. but he seems to get away with it too. 

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Sheehan ... another "non-talker".

We have a team full of them (our captain included). When things go wrong we often drift in a paralysis, stuck in our system and playing at too slow a pace.

Ever wonder whether Evatt demands that the shape & drive is done HIS way ... and he has a nominated captain & doesn't want things confusing ?

Dempsey was Gillingham captain & reputed to be a real leader.

I have no inside knowledge but do wonder if Evatt's singular mindset covers more than his team set out.

I'm certain Santos has more sway than folk realise. He's a massive character in the dressing room and training ground.

He is the whole heartbeat of the operation. Every single play forwards or backwards goes through him and he dictates everything we do.

That's why he's the captain.

3 hours ago, Rizlar said:

a Julian Darby.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Credit to Dempsey, can't fault his attitude, but "we didn't have midfield options" isn't a roaring endorsement of Morley who seemed fit as a fiddle while he started most if not all those games on the bench!

Ashworth plays in midfield for Wales as well so could've helped out if we were desperate

Sheehan is great in that role for a team likely to be on the front foot and win the majority of the games they play, but some teams do mark him out of the game, it happens, it's tactics.

The real issue is we are just then clueless at what to do next, it's not a Plan B as such, but we just look scared to death if we can't play the way they have been drilled. It's nothing new and has been a permanent issue throughout Evatt's tenure.

The real issue the lack of movement from our team, from behind the goal if you watch it's dreadful, you'd be pulling you hair out as a Sunday league manager, and does make Rico look foolish tbh.

If you can't play in/through midfield then you still need an outball up the pitch, into the channel wherever. We just rarely try and do that.

And for those doubting JDB, look at his link up play in the Oxford home game, he was on a different level than most in our team, IMHO suspect he may have told Evatt that at some stage given his lack of game time unless no other option.

For me Dempsey and Thomo would be more effective using their energy mopping up second balls in opposition half and playing towards the opposition goal. Rather than trying to do what Sheehan can do with his back to goal, taking the ball in horrible situations and popping it off to a defender, or turning away from trouble. The fact he voted in team of the season says he must have been horrid to play against and undoubtedly targeted.

8 hours ago, Zico said:

Aye 

So far we've had statements from IE, Jones and Dempsey who have all said they don't know what happened

I don't need more of the same 

I don't need an apology or promise to try harder next season

they don't know what happened? 

They shit the fucking bed like many times this season 

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

they don't know what happened? 

They shit the fucking bed like many times this season 

Yeah not exactly going to come out and say 'yeah I was shit' are they? It's always mealy mouthed horse muck about going again next season. Bunch of shitbag losers 

7 hours ago, Rizlar said:

Not the way we play. The DM needs to take be able to receive the ball facing his own goal under pressure. No fucking way do I want Jack Iredale doing that. 

1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

That Demitriou at Crewe would be an ideal addition, CD or DM holds the ball well and can find a pass, can't think he'd be on much.

He's 34! No chance we're going to be signing him from Crewe.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Regarding injuries, is he another that's injury prone?  Not sure where the line is crossed between "unlucky to pick up injuries" and "injury prone" but we seem to have a few in that bracket.

Let it go man

JDB  aint having your kids

• Site Supporter
19 hours ago, Arrested development said:

We have Sheeran to do what Seeran does. Iredale would be there to Snot there midfielders 

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Start an argument in am empty room.. but he seems to get away with it too. 

Exactly. We need some nasty deep in midfield 

• Site Supporter
19 hours ago, Rizlar said:

Ding Dong.

We have a winner......

This 100%