Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

Hindsight that offer from Bristol should’ve been snapped up, GT has come on as a player but i can’t honestly say he brings much to the party apart from the odd bit of shithousery now & again.

what was it 1m? some of that could’ve been pumped in to get us over the line even if a few old been there types, unless he comes out smashing it next season you won’t get an offer like that again 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Hindsight that offer from Bristol should’ve been snapped up, GT has come on as a player but i can’t honestly say he brings much to the party apart from the odd bit of shithousery now & again.

what was it 1m? some of that could’ve been pumped in to get us over the line even if a few old been there types, unless he comes out smashing it next season you won’t get an offer like that again 

Bit harsh, he struggled towards the end of the season possibly jaded and overplayed but he was excellent in many games this season. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

He was/is our ONLY piece of physicality. We all see that we suffer from bullying. Imagine that without him.

He's no Karl Henry but we need another, not less.

... & without him we'd be years waiting another who gets 22 yellows in a season !

We'd get twice that £1m if someone came in for him.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Bit harsh, he struggled towards the end of the season possibly jaded and overplayed but he was excellent in many games this season. 

Don’t get me wrong not saying he’s poor but no different to the midfield types who we’ve played against, he’s certainly improved from a few years ago that’s clear but the bar has raised

6 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

He was/is our ONLY piece of physicality. We all see that we suffer from bullying. Imagine that without him.

... & without him we'd be years waiting another who gets 22 yellows in a season !

Obviously his position would be replaced and we need more physicality I agree hence me saying the money could’ve been used, anyway like I said hindsight it’s done with now 

32 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Could have bought a couple of dans for that amount 🙂

• Site Supporter
50 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Club accepted the offer and were willing to let him go.

It was his choice not to go and as he was under contract, we couldn’t make him.

Unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Steejay said:

Club accepted the offer and were willing to let him go.

It was his choice not to go and as he was under contract, we couldn’t make him.

Unfortunately.

Clough didn’t want to go Ken facilitated that one😀

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Wrong.

Need more like him and his value will be more now.

If Collins and his goals couldn’t get that lot over the line then I’m not sure what would have done. 

A top psychiatrist maybe. 

He’s a good player, he’s got a cracking eye for a pass and a brilliant attitude but this myth that he’s a physical presence is exactly that.

Getting 21 bookings doesn’t mean you’re physical, it means you’re daft/off the pace.

I think he’s more than good enough to play a role next season but if people want more of a balance to midfield then Sheehan is the passer that keeps it all moving, Maghoma (or a Maghoma replacement) / Dempsey are tasked with getting forward and so it’s GT’s spot that needs to be the physicality. Either he improves his tacking and athleticism and therefore becomes that player, or you sell him on and get someone in that does. If we did sell him, then that wouldn’t be saying he’s not good enough, in my opinion it would be suggesting he’s not the player we need for this system (dare I say it like Dapo) and the money you could get for him could be better utilised in our team.

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

He’s a good player, he’s got a cracking eye for a pass and a brilliant attitude but this myth that he’s a physical presence is exactly that.

Getting 21 bookings doesn’t mean you’re physical, it means you’re daft/off the pace.

I think he’s more than good enough to play a role next season but if people want more of a balance to midfield then Sheehan is the passer that keeps it all moving, Maghoma (or a Maghoma replacement) / Dempsey are tasked with getting forward and so it’s GT’s spot that needs to be the physicality. Either he improves his tacking and athleticism and therefore becomes that player, or you sell him on and get someone in that does. If we did sell him, then that wouldn’t be saying he’s not good enough, in my opinion it would be suggesting he’s not the player we need for this system (dare I say it like Dapo) and the money you could get for him could be better utilised in our team.

I wouldn't disagree. What I would say is that at 23 Thomason is very definitely still developing as a footballer. In the 80s we watched Steve Thompson develop from a callow, skinny kid who clearly had talent but could be bullied in to a seasoned midfielder who eventually thrived at Championship level with Leicester. Perhaps he played just a little too often last season and was slightly over-exposed. 

He certainly has facets to add to his game and the impetuousness needs to be curbed as we all know. I do think at least a little of the issue with Thomason is a lack of on-field guidance and leadership in that midfield from a wiser head.

Sometimes you get the likes of Jude Bellingham who are super-talented footballers almost immediately from the minute they appear in their late teens. Others develop along a more gradual trajectory. 

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Dead right.

Wonderful passer with good vision too.

Not the most agile nor skillful, but has plenty of other assets.

Not sure what we could have got for a million that would have brought about a significant improvement. 

So many players apparently not up to it, but we did finish third.

Still need to improve clearly, but we're not starting from as low a base as some seem to think. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

22 yellows is appalling in a season, no dark arts there , just bad game management. He can pass a ball for sure , but doesn't look after the ball from an opposition press .

I lost a lot of respect for him when he was in the face of a fellow professional, shouting verbals at him in the 2-2 100th minute equaliser at. Barnsley.

I'd love to see him become a better player , he needs an arm around his shoulder and a senior player or management to sort him out ... 

10 minutes ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

22 yellows is appalling in a season, no dark arts there , just bad game management. He can pass a ball for sure , but doesn't look after the ball from an opposition press .

I lost a lot of respect for him when he was in the face of a fellow professional, shouting verbals at him in the 2-2 100th minute equaliser at. Barnsley.

I'd love to see him become a better player , he needs an arm around his shoulder and a senior player or management to sort him out ... 

Correct there’s clever & stupid

Knowing when to give a free kick away & a booking not like Portsmouth away after 14mins 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Correct there’s clever & stupid

Knowing when to give a free kick away & a booking not like Portsmouth away after 14mins 

He’s built a reputation with referee but one that’s unfair for me he gets chopped 3 times no booking he makes one rash tackle and 9 times out of 10 he’s booked first challenge. I like him but think he’d benefit by playing alongside an old yard dog in the Karl Henry mode… and that type is a priority signing this season in my eyes. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He’s built a reputation with referee but one that’s unfair for me he gets chopped 3 times no booking he makes one rash tackle and 9 times out of 10 he’s booked first challenge. I like him but think he’d benefit by playing alongside an old yard dog in the Karl Henry mode… and that type is a priority signing this season in my eyes. 

Needed that role for years now but sadly doesn’t fit the clubs model