Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

4 hours ago, MickyD said:

And I have a further view:

Gilks, not expecting to appear in any games in front of either of the other two GKs had not bothered, alongside his agent, to negotiate appearance fees. 

Once the club realised Crellin wasn’t going to improve and the other lad was too young (the club didn’t want to break another young keeper) it was down to Gilks to go in the goals.

We had a 20yr old main keeper, on loan from Fleetwood and, at best, their 3rd choice. The season prior he'd had 6 months loan experience with bottom of the Conference Chorley.

That was our main keeper.

When we had decided not to continue using him Fleetwood declined to take him back. Some measure of confidence there. We were had.

We had an 18yr old who wasn't trusted to be even on the bench later in the season. Our reserve was a 39 yr old coach who wasn't keeping match fit. Evatt then played most games with no goalkeeper on the bench. He got away with that but it was a very, very risky thing to do.

That, despite our overall success based on a tremendous second half to the season (including Gilks input), were hugely poor decisions. Basically Evatt got away with it.

I'm surprised he's not made getting the very, very best available and affordable to us, a priority.

It strikes me as his weak spot as a manager/coach.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

22 minutes ago, Ros Coe said:

Surely the weak spot is Gilks - he must be advising/recommending who he thinks are suitable keepers?

Yep. Agreed.

But Evatt is the one allowing that, agreeing it and ultimately responsible. 

Hey ... he proved to be a good manager, with a good plan and overall it worked but there were flawed decisions and there was a degree of good fortune. Keeper was a leading example of that.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I'm surprised he's not made getting the very, very best available and affordable to us, a priority.

Maybe because IE believes Gilks can perform as well as he did last year and be one of the best keepers in League One?

41 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Bakayoko will offer more than Delf imo, he looks to have decent pace and power.

In truth I could offer more than Delf. Last year he was poor overall and considering his obvious skill and ability contributed little or nothing during our run in. If we’re limited on squad numbers, he must be one we’re looking to move on but a problem might be his wages, which are probably one of the highest.

5 minutes ago, SirNatsDog said:

In truth I could offer more than Delf. Last year he was poor overall and considering his obvious skill and ability contributed little or nothing during our run in. If we’re limited on squad numbers, he must be one we’re looking to move on but a problem might be his wages, which are probably one of the highest.

Delf is a lazy player imo,he has some ability, but most of the time he just looks like he can't be arsed.

Bakayoko doesn't seem that type of player from the clips i've seen and i saw him when we played Coventry at St Andrews.

Decent acquisition imo.

• Site Supporter
17 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Evatt then played most games with no goalkeeper on the bench. He got away with that but it was a very, very risky thing to do.

Why?

When was the last time we had to sub a keeper on?

Especially with us having a competent keeper amongst the outfield players.

1 hour ago, barryk32 said:

Why?

When was the last time we had to sub a keeper on?

Especially with us having a competent keeper amongst the outfield players.

Do you insure your house & car ?

Because the cost of Gilks getting injured and there being no keeper available is way greater than any othet position. But, of course, you know this.

... & who's the mysterious Peter Shilton in the side ? Coz if that's the case the fckr should have replaced Crellin in most games.

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

It strikes me as his weak spot as a manager/coach.

Think you’re getting your knickers in a twist and overreacting. It’s clear to me after what he (and the rest of us saw) in the 2nd half of the season that Gilks will be number one. So in the same way Ferguson backed an aging Van Der Sar, Evatt will do the same with Gilks. Therefore he doesn’t need to go out and buy better, just an understudy who he knows and trusts. I really don’t see the problem. 

34 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Do you insure your house & car ?

Because the cost of Gilks getting injured and there being no keeper available is way greater than any othet position. But, of course, you know this.

... & who's the mysterious Peter Shilton in the side ? Coz if that's the case the fckr should have replaced Crellin in most games.

Harry Brockbank

20 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Who is this ?

The best available, would not be affordable.

And those that are affordable, are not the best available.

Maybe Gilks is the best available thats affordable, and Dixon is an adequate backup.

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Given we have Harry Brockbank I'm surprised we gave Dixon a second look.

Why are you harping on about the past and Brockbank when we have a talented, experienced and currently performing great keeper and we’ve just brought in an understudy who he knows and trusts?

8 minutes ago, desperado said:

Why are you harping on about the past and Brockbank when we have a talented, experienced and currently performing great keeper and we’ve just brought in an understudy who he knows and trusts?

Because my opinion, reasonably thought through & presented, is that we've not done the best we can.

You may disagree and you're quite happy. Which is nice. Bravo. Good for you. 

But I'll be fucked if you're going to close me down for a reasonable viewpoint because you don't agree.