Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Port Vale 0-2 Wanderers

globaldiver

• Members

April 1973 at Port Vale, 2-2 & I think we clinched promotion that day with probably a few thousand Bolton fans there.

Before kick off there was fighting on the Vale end with Vale and Stoke versus Bolton, so several hundred more Bolton ran across the pitch to join in. The trouble carried on throughout the match with plenty of arrests & a good number carted out for treatment with stones/bricks flying.

Near the end a ballboy was threatened for wasting time but I think we scored very late. A very lively day.

Never saw a Vale fan at Bolton.

Great day apart from dodging bricks and bottles flying in each direction for most of the match!

It was on all day - before during and after the game. Mainly Stokies before and after but Vales lot during the game.

Apart from the fun and games I recall that this was yet another stellar day for the majestic John Byrom. What a player he was in his prime.

• Members

Oasis , Stolen from Ivor, Justins.

Jaytex and Ben Sherman shirts, Brogues (Royals), Loafers, Crombies, Sailors, Extra wide bags, Parallels (Royals, stones, Electric blues, electric reds, Browns,) Loons, Budgie jackets, Harringtons,  Two tones (tonics), overchecks, Prince of wales check. football jumpers, patchwork jumpers, Sth sea island bubble jumpers, penny round collars, slazenger jumpers, red socks, barathea blazers with 20 silver buttons up the sleeve, 

1970-72 for the top togs in my younger days shopping in the underground market.

Some grit in my eye I think! Brings back some memories does that.

In them days, the hatred for the DMB's was tangible. Often little scuffles around the place when a few of us went to Manc on a shopping spree. Barathea blazers with all the buttons and the Lancashire crest on the breast pocket. Got it ripped to fucking shreds in a battle with Rockers on Moor Lane bus station (as well as my orange gingham Ben - the greasy bastards!).

• Members

Did JB score twice that day? My dad took me in the car & I seem to remember us losing when we left & finding out we had drawn when we turned the radio on. I was only 10 so it's all a bit vague but I've always had it in my head that we had been 2-0 down?

He did! Sent the travelling support fucking wild!

Third Division Rubbish was the chant. Or Armfield to the tune of Amazing grace.

Was it Barrie Siddall's debut?

We had about 8 mins additional time at the end because the little ball boy in front of us kept on throwing the ball away when we had throw ins etc.

Got the BEN newspaper clipping from Port Vale Feb 1987.

"Bolton Fan is Hunted" is the main headline.

Paper says vale fan suffered horrific wounds to his face and arms.

Got a folder full of clippings. Brilliant to read. A lot of young ones don't realise what a top mob Bolton had in those days.

Did JB score twice that day? My dad took me in the car & I seem to remember us losing when we left & finding out we had drawn when we turned the radio on. I was only 10 so it's all a bit vague but I've always had it in my head that we had been 2-0 down?

Can't find a match report anywhere but this was on the Port Vale wikipedia page ( frenzied scenes !!!!!! ) ..........

Vale lifted themselves into third place, though were out of the race after a 'shattering' 5–0 defeat to Southend United at Roots Hall.[1] Their final home game of the season was a 2–2 draw with champions Bolton Wanderers, in which 'frenzied scenes' included police dogs separating the two sets of fans at the Bycars End, two attempted pitch invasions, and the referee kicked to the ground at the final whistle.[1]

Just a shame these aways are all bunched together

If these sell it will be at the death, Oldham hasn't gone on open sale yet

Two 4500 away allocations likely to sell out in quick succession and a load of decent followings all season.

Sorry to sound like ticket office Dan but where's the away fan attendance league table?

• Site Supporter

The last 2 games should add circa 250 onto that average

1700 not shabby at all at this level

I bet it's not far off Fleetwood's home crowd

Aye, and a few of them sold out that could have pushed it up further,

fucking hell, I've gone all Lostock Whies

still got the 2k at scunny to go on aswel

Good point

If the 1429 is accurate and includes Shrewsbury it will be over 19 games

19 x 1429 = 27,151 total away crowd YTD

Add in the last 4 games

Southend 1,000

Scunny 2,000

Oldham 4,500

Port Vale 4,500

12,000 YTG + 27,151 YTD = 39,151 total

Split over 23 games = 1702 average

I guess Southend and Scunny cancel each other out. Still good though, I bet that would be a fair way up the championship away attendance table