Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Jake Turners Mother - Bbc Article

Eavesy

• Site Supporter

Its horrendous.

I was diagnosed after my dad died. Tends to come on in winter. Further complicated by epilepsy, and treatments for one worsening the other.

Reading that article I can identify fully with what he says- I've always managed to get out of bed but plenty of times wishing that I wouldn't wake up- that's if I got sleep at all.

Once went 86 hours without sleep and still on chemicals to help sleep.

Just a couple of weeks ago I started a new medication to tackle epilepsy/anxiety and its been a life changer- so far.

Its tough to read the article and tough to write this, got a tear in my eye now.

It mentioned the stigma of mental illness- for me it shouldn't be called that. It is very much a physical illness, chemistry going wrong in the brain just like it might do in the kidneys or liver etc.

It robs you of your soul and personality, but with medical support and a great family it is possible to fight back.

If there's forty people on here at a time, then ten of those will (statistically) be affected at some point.

I used to work with psychiatrists at the old Winwick Hospital in the area of depression. The biggest problem was always that the family GPs basically had no clue how to handle depression. Bad prescribing of antidepressants to patients who didn't need them and the failure to recognise true depression left a whole lot of people untreated and another lot dependent on tablets that they really didn't need. I agree TMGJ it is very much a physical illness that needs both the correct chemical treatment and more importantly the correct support network putting in place. Hope you are getting both

• Site Supporter

I used to work with psychiatrists at the old Winwick Hospital in the area of depression. The biggest problem was always that the family GPs basically had no clue how to handle depression. Bad prescribing of antidepressants to patients who didn't need them and the failure to recognise true depression left a whole lot of people untreated and another lot dependent on tablets that they really didn't need. I agree TMGJ it is very much a physical illness that needs both the correct chemical treatment and more importantly the correct support network putting in place. Hope you are getting both

Taken several years but now feel I'm getting there- from the medicine point of view. Also got a great support network. Gradually learned to accept whatever offers of help are made.

You're right about GPS, some mistakes were made as have been by neurology. Distressing at the time, but in fairness its a very inexact science and there is an element of trial and error.

I did hear recently that a blood test was being developed to identify which antidepressant is best for an individual- that would be a massive step forward.

Jake Turner is a polite caring young man. He's also working his bollocks off both on and off the field for himself and the family.

Takes some bollocks for the family to speak out knowing the potential of both Jake and Millie in the media spot light.

Woke up with a proper stalk on this morning- something's happening :)

Shrewsbury away does that to all of us.

Seriously impressed by your post. Funny people on post on here about stuff and easy to forget how much other stuff folk might have going on in their lives.

As a fellow depression sufferer what TMGJ has said rings true.

It's shit lacking the energy/drive to do anything.

It goes beyond sadness.

The wife suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder she's been an in patient a few times and the lack of funding for the services is like many areas really lacking

• Site Supporter

As a fellow wood chopper, I seriously recommend your read this:

http://robpenn.net

The man who made things out of trees.

Fascinating read, sometimes a bit technical, but an interesting section about his depression, which makes you realise it happens to the famous too.

• Site Supporter

Depression really is terrible..

I'm currently undertaking CBT having refused medication, and i'm seeing the light after quitting my job.. 

Some days i wake up and just lack the will to do anything... night is worse as i lack the will to even go to bed..

People don't know how to approach it, and it seems to be that the only way that is working for me is to try and improve the small things... I do suffer from OCD which makes me worse and people don't get that..once something's in the noggin, i have to let it run its course.. its frustrating and i see myself doing it, but there is little i can do to stop my mind working this way. 

Its horrendous.

I was diagnosed after my dad died. Tends to come on in winter. Further complicated by epilepsy, and treatments for one worsening the other.

Reading that article I can identify fully with what he says- I've always managed to get out of bed but plenty of times wishing that I wouldn't wake up- that's if I got sleep at all.

Once went 86 hours without sleep and still on chemicals to help sleep.

Just a couple of weeks ago I started a new medication to tackle epilepsy/anxiety and its been a life changer- so far.

Its tough to read the article and tough to write this, got a tear in my eye now.

It mentioned the stigma of mental illness- for me it shouldn't be called that. It is very much a physical illness, chemistry going wrong in the brain just like it might do in the kidneys or liver etc.

It robs you of your soul and personality, but with medical support and a great family it is possible to fight back.

If there's forty people on here at a time, then ten of those will (statistically) be affected at some point.

this has affected me too.i was on tablets for quite a while for anxiety after the death of my brother and my step dad and even my dog all came together to cause it.i had councilling and have gradually come off the tablets but let me tell you that isn't it.it's a daily struggle and never goes away.!!

Always had an interest in depression, etc. First job involved working with Winwick Hospital and Parkside Hospital in Macclesfield

Oldest dowter works at Cheadle Royal as a psychologist

Grinds my gears how many people cite 'mental illness' as an excuse for behaviour

I wish all the best to anyone affected by the 'black cloud' and hope that you get the support that you need

Always had an interest in depression, etc. First job involved working with Winwick Hospital and Parkside Hospital in Macclesfield

Oldest dowter works at Cheadle Royal as a psychologist

Grinds my gears how many people cite 'mental illness' as an excuse for behaviour

I wish all the best to anyone affected by the 'black cloud' and hope that you get the support that you need

I know a girl that also works at Cheadle royal as a psychologist

one day years ago I'd been on the piss with Gumbo and came across a bloke lying on the road who was convinced he was Ian Brown. Turned out he'd "escaped" from there; eventually I managed to take him back in a cab, which wasn't a bad effort considering I was bladdered

I told the tale in the work The next week and one of my mates already knew the story as her younger Sister was the psychogist there and had told her about it with no idea that the pissed up bloke that brought the guy back was me :D

Edited by jules_darby