Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Decent Podcasts

MancWanderer

1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

I listened to them too and watched some really interesting break down videos of famous incidents on YouTube afterwards. Don't watch them if you're anywhere near close to going on holiday by plane!

So long as there’s no Russki pilots letting their kids fly the plane it’ll be reet. Fuck me!!

In terms if sheer geekiness the helicopter one ferrying folk from the North Sea oil platforms was quite frightening and the fact that nobody will step on that brand of helicopter (forget which one). The number that went down is astonishing

8 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

So long as there’s no Russki pilots letting their kids fly the plane it’ll be reet. Fuck me!!

In terms if sheer geekiness the helicopter one ferrying folk from the North Sea oil platforms was quite frightening and the fact that nobody will step on that brand of helicopter (forget which one). The number that went down is astonishing

The Russian one is probably one of the stories that sticks with me most it's horrendous, or the Air France one where the crew were arguing with eachother about what to do and and it turned out it would have been completely survivable if they'd just taken a minute to think. Any that are about the people you trust to do things right making mad errors are the worst for me!

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

The Russian one is probably one of the stories that sticks with me most it's horrendous, or the Air France one where the crew were arguing with eachother about what to do and and it turned out it would have been completely survivable if they'd just taken a minute to think. Any that are about the people you trust to do things right making mad errors are the worst for me!

That Air France cockpit recording is the most harrowing thing I can imagine.

The last 30 seconds when they knew they were going to crash, whilst also realising their mistake, is horrific.

Has anyone been listening to the Reith Lecture's (that than the The Royal Institutes Lectures are proper xmas fayre - watch on BBC 4 this year as its all about Forensic Science and it'll be done - as always - in a way idiots like me can understand)

Anyway - this year they are having 4 different speakers rather than just one on Roosevelt's Four Freedoms - Speech, Worship, Want and Fear. They have been brilliant so far. The one on want is a great listen https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001g2zf 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Has anyone been listening to the Reith Lecture's (that than the The Royal Institutes Lectures are proper xmas fayre - watch on BBC 4 this year as its all about Forensic Science and it'll be done - as always - in a way idiots like me can understand)

Anyway - this year they are having 4 different speakers rather than just one on Roosevelt's Four Freedoms - Speech, Worship, Want and Fear. They have been brilliant so far. The one on want is a great listen https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001g2zf 

Aye, I listened to that one last week on R4. Very good. Not got round to any of the others yet.

• 1 month later...

SJM one is brilliant. His chat on Under the Cosh was good but this is even better. His whole attitude is summat else. Wasn’t there for the money. His stories are simply about a bloke who wanted to play footy and wanted to play for managers and coaches that he liked. And got sidetracked and bamboozled back in the old days. A really good listen

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

SJM one is brilliant. His chat on Under the Cosh was good but this is even better. His whole attitude is summat else. Wasn’t there for the money. His stories are simply about a bloke who wanted to play footy and wanted to play for managers and coaches that he liked. And got sidetracked and bamboozled back in the old days. A really good listen

And there's another part to come I think. 

• 3 weeks later...