Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Allardyce

maje

Very true.

This is as bad as anything koeman did at the end, utter dross.

Quite right. Because he did well here, it doesn't mean everyone else has to love him.

Difference from our hey day was I think he was cutting edge in transfers pro zone etc now he is simply efficient. A big difference in my opinion

I just will never get the anti-Allardyce thing from Bolton fans

My favourite time as a Bolton fan was the Greaves era for many reasons - where we came from, the players he brought in, what we achieved, and my age at the time - young, impressionable, and supporting a team that was on their way up with packed houses at Burnden - a fantastic time to be alive

But it's nowt compared to what Allardyce ACTUALLY achieved with us.........and where he took us.....and where from

Fuck me....anyone having a pop at him really needs to give their head a good wobble. Unless you know the real reason why he left, and you really are the itk man in the pub, look back at The Allianz Arena and compare it to where we are now. Fuck's sake..........drawing with Bayern Munich vs losing at Brentford 

• Site Supporter

MancWanderer I could have written that word for word myself absolutely agree 100%,and could also add that if he's now washed up and lost the plot then great fuck Everton they can't compete with the big clubs irrespective of who manages them .

I just will never get the anti-Allardyce thing from Bolton fans

My favourite time as a Bolton fan was the Greaves era for many reasons - where we came from, the players he brought in, what we achieved, and my age at the time - young, impressionable, and supporting a team that was on their way up with packed houses at Burnden - a fantastic time to be alive

But it's nowt compared to what Allardyce ACTUALLY achieved with us.........and where he took us.....and where from

Fuck me....anyone having a pop at him really needs to give their head a good wobble. Unless you know the real reason why he left, and you really are the itk man in the pub, look back at The Allianz Arena and compare it to where we are now. Fuck's sake..........drawing with Bayern Munich vs losing at Brentford

Well.....

Hate to say it but Megson was in charge in Munich

Not that Allardyce’a achievements with us should be diminished (nor should Megson get much credit for Munich)

However, in any parting of the ways folk are going to be bitter.

I think we can appreciate what he did for us but also take issue with him - especially with his conduct at the time and as visiting Blackburn / Newcastle boss. That’s irrespective of who was right - him or Gartside.

The Everton issue is different and as mentioned - you take to him and his methods if you’re winning. If not, it’s not the best.....and rightly or wrongly Everton expect more

FWIW I think he’s a superb man manager and will get it right and win over Goodison given time. But I fear the period in between may mean that he’s not afforded that as the world now demands instant success

Edited by jules_darby

I genuinely have no recollection of any turgid shite. Christ, he pretty much managed to turn Ian Marshall in to a swan. Even when we were dropping points in 00/01 they were often coming in high scoring games like the run of 2-2 draws we had.

Me neither. It all gets mixed up with us parking the bus and hoofing it to SKD away at places like anfield in the latter stages of his time. Even we played this apparent long ball style the outlet was JJ, youri, then later on Diouf, who imo was one of the best we've had.

Folk forget the standard wins against middle table and below teams. It was nothing to beat to Spurs or Everton to us, and not a long ball in sight.

As for Everton, their fans seem to think their squad is littered with superstars. It isn't. It's full of shite bought by koeman, 300 number 10's and not a decent striker or defender at the club. That's not Sam's fault.

He will do alright this season, then get potted in the summer before he has chance to make the team his own.

To me Everton are in limbo. The fans think they are fucking massive and demand the world, but from the outside looking in they are just another mid table prem team and there's no room at the table. Fair play for expecting more, but you just end up disappointed and indeed quite bitter.

• Moderators

It was a bit more backs to the wall from 99 to 03 but after that we started to play some really good stuff

But we were still prone to churning out some performances that weren't pleasant to watch

That doesn't mean it was turgid though, we didn't always turn up with the only intention being to hoof it, but we would sometimes turn up trying to spoil it and nick a point, which is fair enough

Because it worked

Edited by ZicoKelly

Yeah, it could be dull. I remember some shit against Birmingham and Middleborough at home... Portsmouth away on a Tuesday... Awful

That Portsmouth game was ace. 1-0 Kevin Nolan.

Suppose it depends what your after but like zico says we turned up that night and spoiled the game. Bullied them all over the shop and took all 3 points.

Love it.

• Site Supporter

Suppose it depends what your after but like zico says we turned up that night and spoiled the game. Bullied them all over the shop and took all 3 points.

Love it.

Yep. If a team like Chelsea wins "ugly" its the sign of a good side that will be successful.

If we did it, its because we were shite and should be ridiculed.

Love it.

These can be the best type of wins. You come out of the ground buzzing. Similar to Sheffield United a few weeks ago

Me neither. It all gets mixed up with us parking the bus and hoofing it to SKD away at places like anfield in the latter stages of his time. Even we played this apparent long ball style the outlet was JJ, youri, then later on Diouf, who imo was one of the best we've had.

Folk forget the standard wins against middle table and below teams. It was nothing to beat to Spurs or Everton to us, and not a long ball in sight.

As for Everton, their fans seem to think their squad is littered with superstars. It isn't. It's full of shite bought by koeman, 300 number 10's and not a decent striker or defender at the club. That's not Sam's fault.

He will do alright this season, then get potted in the summer before he has chance to make the team his own.

To me Everton are in limbo. The fans think they are fucking massive and demand the world, but from the outside looking in they are just another mid table prem team and there's no room at the table. Fair play for expecting more, but you just end up disappointed and indeed quite bitter.

We beat you more than you beat us. So your memory may be slightly distorted by the romance and "idea" you were better than you actually was.

You did play some good stuff, but also some utter shite. If you genuinly dont beleive that, then wow.

If we could have the sam you had, i think we would be happy. But we dont, and we are not.

Edited by Pablo

The sam you have is the same sam we had. The game has progressed massively and he’s not he’s still the same.

Well yeah thas a good point. He has changed tho, he is more bitter, mainly due to his jobs and sackings since his Bolton time, and it shows.

Bitter is most definitely a word a lot on here have used to describe Sam. Seems to feel as though he’s been mistreated when I reality it’s all his own doing.

That said I agree with those that say we will never have success like we had under him but he really needs leaving in the past now unless he chooses to come back in some capacity as he’s eluded to.

The fact we have such a thread on him is ridiculous really. Even though half of it is to wind you up and vice versa

• Moderators

Bitter is most definitely a word a lot on here have used to describe Sam. Seems to feel as though he’s been mistreated when I reality it’s all his own doing.

I'd say he got "mistreated" at Newcastle, Blackburn:

Ashley wanted the fans to like him so sacked him and brought in Keegan

Blackburn sacked him when midtable and took on Steve Keen

At West Ham the fans didn't like him because he didn't play the West Ham way but don't think he was mistreated.

he chose to leave Sunderland and Palace

England was his own fault

I'd say he got "mistreated" at Newcastle, Blackburn:

Ashley wanted the fans to like him so sacked him and brought in Keegan

Blackburn sacked him when midtable and took on Steve Keen

At West Ham the fans didn't like him because he didn't play the West Ham way but don't think he was mistreated.

he chose to leave Sunderland and Palace

England was his own fault

Has anyone worked out yet what "the West Ham way" is as it hasn't been successful.