Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Safestanding

Ghana White

Nice quote from Shrewsbury Chief executive on BBC website :

The issue we tend to have is when we come up against the big clubs - the Sheffield Uniteds, the Boltons - who bring huge away crowds, we get drowned out a little bit," he said.

There wouldn't be increased numbers as every safe standing place has a seat.

That's how I'd see it working over here, however the German ones do have a larger capacity when it's set to standing mode so presumably just go where they want. I'd quite miss the luxury of having my spot waiting for me at 2.59pm to be honest.

Not sure it would happen though- increased numbers would mean more piss stones and exits etc to comply with regulations.

Would be good to see though.

It doesn't increase capacity. You have a chair at every position

That's how I'd see it working over here, however the German ones do have a larger capacity when it's set to standing mode so presumably just go where they want. I'd quite miss the luxury of having my spot waiting for me at 2.59pm to be honest.

Is it not seating games are reduced in Europe ?

Yeah it's in seating mode for non-domestic games so one person per seat and hence the lower capacity. When in standing mode they can presumably get an extra person or two in each row which obviously increases capacity quite significantly in cases like Dortmund.

I seem to remember that Celtic's trial is with a ratio of 1:1.1, so you bung up the capacity of a section by 10%. In Germany I believe it varies from 1.4 to 1.6 with 1.8 the legal max. Implies that if you changed over the ESL - and assuming it holds 5k, you'd be looking at 2-3k extra (assuming all the general set up for exits etc allowed it).

Ok, most German Terraces are not 'Safe Standing' as we know it. They are not rail seats. They a simply normal Terraces with a 4-6 steps between crush (lean) barriers. Thats why the capacities are higher. As you can see in the photoes above, on a rail seat terrace you stand two every other step. On a real terrace you have people stood on every step. 
gegen.jpg

In my opinion I see very little advantage to rail seats. We have an unofficial standing area anyway and rail seat areas are very similar.

safestandingarea1.jpg

We want real terraces not this...... surely. I guess it's a step in the right direction though.

Btw is the guy you speak of Jon darch?? Nice bloke. Big Union fan. See him often

Edited by SimonT

And here is the terrace at Dortmund. As you can see again. Not rail seats. We are not getting terracing like they have in Germany....... Not really.........

dortmund13.jpg

And to really confuse matters. Read this.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/the-legalities-of-standing/

Atm we have a standing area in the corner. Idealy the removal of the seats would be great. The installation of rail seats does not really make any difference whatsoever.

If you wish to stand at a Bolton game, just get a ticket for under the screen. the more that do it, the bigger the area becomes. Simples.

Edited by SimonT

Nonsense! Are they not real terraces they have in germany? No problems there. Did terracing cause the Hillbrough Disaster. No. Poor policing, overcrowding etc did.

I go to Germany all the time to watch football in normal terraces with no issues. Its amazing what you can do by making games all ticket, using sufficient crowd control and adequate policing.

If you dont have a ticket, you dont get in. Simple.

Sorry sweep but that post Hillbrough view is very outdated these days, has been shown to be wrong and to the detriment of football.......Dont they have terraces in Rugby?......Dont remember there being a crowd disaster in that game. Its 2017 not the 1980's. 

Edited by SimonT

I seem to remember that Celtic's trial is with a ratio of 1:1.1, so you bung up the capacity of a section by 10%. In Germany I believe it varies from 1.4 to 1.6 with 1.8 the legal max. Implies that if you changed over the ESL - and assuming it holds 5k, you'd be looking at 2-3k extra (assuming all the general set up for exits etc allowed it).

So we could create an extra 14,000 empty spaces?