Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

The one which equalises annuity rates for males and females, even though all data collected over more than a century indicates that, on average, females live longer than males and will continue to do so for another century.

Do you think that this will be changed? I can't see it

Can you find a law that was imposed on us by the EU that we really didn't want? My understanding is that we had a right to dig and just say NO if we were really passionately against something

Can you find a law that was imposed on us by the EU that we really didn't want? My understanding is that we had a right to dig and just say NO if we were really passionately against something

Has the sky fallen in?  -  if not, there is nothing to worry about

It's the French who dig in and say NON - we follow the rules laid down, just like we queue, because we see it as the right thing to do.

Works the other way too.

I.e. The smoking ban, drink driving laws.

We were one of the first to impose these.

Not sure its quite as simple as that. All this is way over my swede, but a chap on the box a few weeks ago explained it as being a necessary 'temporary' measure whilst the unique situation is addressed.

From what he was saying, I got the impression that once we'd left parliament would then be able to revisit stuff as necessary.

It just needed doing quickly with ministers making initial alterations as necessary to prepare for the leaving date.

That said its a minefield, and if it was shown that an abuse of power was indeed going on, then a weakish government may well be fucked

But that is exactly as I said. That is the 'now' position.

It may well change in the future but as it stands parliament has been removed from the process.

• Site Supporter

But that is exactly as I said. That is the 'now' position.

It may well change in the future but as it stands parliament has been removed from the process.

Aye, but that's only on the moved euro stuff isn't it? Not new stuff we create- or is it?

I understand and agree with the point you're making, just happy to cut the government some slack while they get this sorted.

As its never been done before, there must be a concern that too much delay will be harmful.

But, if they fuck it up they'll get voted out next time any road.

The one which equalises annuity rates for males and females, even though all data collected over more than a century indicates that, on average, females live longer than males and will continue to do so for another century.

'WHAT DO WE WANT? The end of the law which equalises annuity rates for males and females, even though all data collected over more than a century indicates that, on average, females live longer than males and will continue to do so for another century. WHEN DO WE WANT IT? Now!'

So all those laws everybody wanted rid of are coming over to British law lock stock and barrel anyway??

It would be hilarious if wasn't so tragic.

What a waste of everybody's time this all really is.

That's been the plan for about a year!

That's been the plan for about a year!

It has, your right

But given the fact that sovereignty was such a huge issue for leavers you'd have thought that they might have earmarked a handful of laws that they do not want to transfer over

Apart from a few obscure ones that the vast majority have no idea of I doubt anything will get fucked off within 12 months of us leaving

But given the fact that sovereignty was such a huge issue for leavers 

Most "Leavers" didn't and still don't have a clue what they actually meant by "Sovereignty"  -  it's not their fault, it's the fault of both the "leave" and the "remain" sides for not explaining it properly

No they don't

We don't have to transfer them if we don't want to

Granted it would be a mess if we didn't but we don't have to

We could certainly leave some bits out of we wanted to, the point is that we don't want to remove anything of any great significance

On day one we need to have laws in place.

Pick and mix does not work - the plan has always been to transfer en bloc and change references to EU institutions appropriately asap.

Debating them all individually is not feasible. There is enough bleating about the hours Parliament is having to meet as it is, so it is up to ministers to do the appropriate overnight shift.

They have to be transferred before we can change them. A load of bollocks but that's how they work it.

Not quite.

We adopt them and improve them at our leisure. A l'aise.

Anyway, the pound is at a year high against the dollar.

That's not a law is it? It's one of the freedoms along with movement of goods, services and money

This isn't being transferred over with the rest of the laws

In terms of sovereignty, we had / have it - we can veto any laws we don't want / agree with

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=457

Free movement of workers is a fundamental principle of the Treaty enshrined in Article 45 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union and developed by EU secondary legislation and the Case law of the Court of Justice.

Sounds like a law to me.