Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

My organisation will be doing a lot on the anniversary of the murder of George Floyd, as will every member of our UK network in solidarity. 

We are an organisation that is 117 years old, whose patron is the Queen. Our remit is to save art for the nation, to keep great works from private hands to be enjoyed by everyone.

I'm proud that from the Tate to the IWM to the smallest house there will be something to mark this hopeful sea change in attitude. That its not OK to be passive, that despite abuse people continue to recognise institutional failings - that we continue to question and amend our attitudes, even in the face of those who don't feel we should.

Small gestures for wider change, I expect the usuals lauding each other, but that's why things do need to change; so please carry on.

I apologise because I don't normally get involved in this shit but, how the fuck can your organisation (which I assume is British) do anything to remember a drug addled career criminal from America, did they do the same to remember the anniversary of Lee Rigby? I would be ashamed to work for that company never mind tell folk what they are doing, in my mind disgusting

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, royal white said:

I genuinely thought they was a wind up. WTF is that all about? 

🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

Is it any wonder….

Westminster Voting Intention:

CON: 46% (+1)

LAB: 28% (-2)

LDM: 8% (+1)

GRN: 8% (=)

SNP: 5% (=)

RFM: 2% (=)

Via @YouGov, 19-20 May.

Just now, Mr Grey said:

Aye!

Its all going tits up for Labour, Boris has got a free hit here on everything he does, people like NiC are doing the Tories job for them and they don't even realise it, thick twats! 🤓

Exactly. It is priceless.

Yet, this woke thing is a figment of our imagination according to some far more intelligent posters 😄 

4 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Is it any wonder….

Westminster Voting Intention:

CON: 46% (+1)

LAB: 28% (-2)

LDM: 8% (+1)

GRN: 8% (=)

SNP: 5% (=)

RFM: 2% (=)

Via @YouGov, 19-20 May.

The way they're going, Labour won't be a party by the next election.

That is what happens to woke folk and them trying to indoctrinate society. 

17 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I would encourage everyone to read the story and background of Emmett Till

For those who don’t know who Emmett Till was he was a 14 year old black boy, who wolf whistled at a white lady. As a result of him doing this the lady complained to local authorities and local townspeople

The kid was kidnapped from his home, beaten and killed, in fact beaten so bad his face was unrecognisable by his own mother.

His mother made sure it was an open casket so they could see what people were doing to people as a result of the colour of their skin. 

This picture became famous, it went on the front pages on newspapers around the world, it sparked protests and demonstrations all around the world

It became a major point in the spark of the civil rights movement.

It was an horrendous crime, politicians all around the world, started to back this new movement, and show support in the fight against discrimination. 

Who knows what the world would have been like if Emmett hadn’t been killed, who knows if minorities around the world wouldn’t have got the same opportunities if Emmett hadn’t been killed.

My point is landmark moments like these occur as the tipping point before something changes or needs to change.

George Floyd is another moment. Criminal or not, whether it happened in American or Katmandu it happened. 
Geography doesn’t make it any less shocking or damaging, but solidarity is important, strength in numbers for the bigger picture.

If you feel the need to say “but what are they doing about this anniversary” and coming across as outraged at Norwich or whoever is showing a sign of solidarity then maybe you should look at a little bit of history to understand why solidarity is important to equality. 

Its a sad cynical world when support can’t be shown and someone jumps on to question their ulterior motive. 

Hypocrisy is lost on a lot of people. 

and if you want to say I’m a lefty or This is my stance because I’m black then feel free because I don’t really give a shit

You’re not a lefty

25 minutes ago, Rudy said:

For those who don’t know who Emmett Till was he was a 14 year old black boy, who wolf whistled at a white lady. As a result of him doing this the lady complained to local authorities and local townspeople

The kid was kidnapped from his home, beaten and killed, in fact beaten so bad his face was unrecognisable by his own mother.

His mother made sure it was an open casket so they could see what people were doing to people as a result of the colour of their skin. 

This picture became famous, it went on the front pages on newspapers around the world, it sparked protests and demonstrations all around the world

It was an horrendous crime, politicians all around the world, started to back this new movement, and show support in the fight against discrimination. 

Who knows what the world would have been like if Emmett hadn’t been killed, who knows if minorities around the world wouldn’t have got the same opportunities if Emmett hadn’t been killed.

My point is landmark moments like these occur as the tipping point before something changes or needs to change.

George Floyd is another moment. Criminal or not, whether it happened in American or Katmandu it happened. 
Geography doesn’t make it any less shocking or damaging, but solidarity is important, strength in numbers for the bigger picture.

If you feel the need to say “but what are they doing about this anniversary” and coming across as outraged at Norwich or whoever is showing a sign of solidarity then maybe you should look at a little bit of history to understand why solidarity is important to equality. 

Its a sad cynical world when support can’t be shown and someone jumps on to question their ulterior motive. 

and if you want to say I’m a lefty or This is my stance because I’m black then feel free because I don’t really give a shit

But we are nothing like America, we don’t have those same issues over here. We know that country is fucked up, like many others, but we don’t take a blind bit of notice what they’re doing yet for some reason if it’s happens over the water we jump all over it. There’s probably a very good reason why it seems not many town halls are lighting up in memory of GF

• Members
2 minutes ago, royal white said:

But we are nothing like America, we don’t have those same issues over here. We know that country is fucked up, like many others, but we don’t take a blind bit of notice what they’re doing yet for some reason if it’s happens over the water we jump all over it. There’s probably a very good reason why it seems not many town halls are lighting up in memory of GF

Probably because eyes are on America more than any other country. I know full well America is a different animal to here but we still have a way to go , but as a collective, doing the small bits can go a long way.

Being outraged at people showing some form of positivity is just fuckin weird

Just now, Rudy said:

Probably because eyes are on America more than any other country. I know full well America is a different animal to here but we still have a way to go , but as a collective, doing the small bits can go a long way.

Being outraged at people showing some form of positivity is just fuckin weird

What’s positive about lighting up a building in Norwich as a result of bad policing in America? There’s a shit load  of corrupt cops over here who have fucked up over the years. Was anything positive done for that? 

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Just googled the picture 

Grim 

emmett_till_alive_death.jpg?itok=y7YiRUd

Rudy is right, whatever people think about the GF death it has a massive impact around the world and so the reporting it is not about the incident as much as it is about the reaction. In a way the question for the reports could be 'why the fuck has a druggie getting killed in the States ended up with footballers taking the knee?' 

I know plenty here do not agree with the reaction to it but it is impossible to deny the impact it has had 

3 minutes ago, Ani said:

Rudy is right, whatever people think about the GF death it has a massive impact around the world and so the reporting it is not about the incident as much as it is about the reaction. In a way the question for the reports could be 'why the fuck has a druggie getting killed in the States ended up with footballers taking the knee?' 

I know plenty here do not agree with the reaction to it but it is impossible to deny the impact it has had 

What impact has it had in the U.K.? 

2 minutes ago, Ani said:

What exactly has been the impact of it all ?  Have we seen any actual changes to policing etc ?

I've not looked into that side of things so am genuinely all ears on this.

What I have seen most of are riots, protests and demonstrations, followed by a shitload of controversy. 

Next time there is uproar, they would be wiser to choose a victim who is free of crime to honour etc, otherwise the same arguments will no doubt be played out.

Just now, Mr Grey said:

There was an innocent little boy from Warrington, Jonathan, killed by the IRA.

There were 22 innocent people who didn't come home from a pop concert because of a suicide bomber....

We all have stories regarding atrocities and killings, unfortunately the left think solidarity belongs to them, my solidarity is better than yours etc... bollox!

I was just going to come onto that, when will we see the tipping point re grooming gangs, terror attacks etc.

Like you say, the left side always seem to forget to stand in solidarity with these types of atrocities. 

• Members
Just now, royal white said:

What’s positive about lighting up a building in Norwich as a result of bad policing in America? There’s a shit load  of corrupt cops over here who have fucked up over the years. Was anything positive done for that? 

What if someone sees it and goes well what’s that for?

The killing of GF

Oh why what happened?

Black man killed as a result of police brutality 

etc. Down the wormhole

If one person becomes educated as a result of it then it’s worked