Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

3 hours ago, Spider said:

10 million immigrants in 20 years??

where’d you get that number?

When are you actually going to read a post before replying with your usual stupid one liners? I said MAINLY through immigration though I know you don’t like to get involved with facts. Population in 2001 59m population 2021 69m. That was 10 million difference when I was at school.

8 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

When are you actually going to read a post before replying with your usual stupid one liners? I said MAINLY through immigration though I know you don’t like to get involved with facts. Population in 2001 59m population 2021 69m. That was 10 million difference when I was at school.

You went to school? Well, knock me down with a mortar board.

3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Utter codswallop.

My Dad was born in 48, and as he always says, anyone who tells you things were better in the old days is talking crap.

I'd love you to define better. Maybe it was the lower life expectancy? The unaddressed levels of inequality? Lack of central heating in most homes? Illegal abortions? The lack of an equal equalities act? Less chance of progression?

Myopic, backward looking nonsense from people who don't see what damage they have wrought on our country by being led up the garden path by successive governments just leaves me aghast.

Housing has got tit all to do with immigration, doctor's appoitments (or lack therefore) have got tit all to do with immigration. Its this over-simplification of blaming the smallest numbers of the poorest people for a country's ills that beggers belief and that people propogate this myth because they are too entrenched and lack to be honest, the desire, to understand the issue further. I'd love to live in a world where everything was so easily explained away and I could sit on my high horse pontificating.

Worse than Bolty in that,this fella thinks he's spot on.

NiC, you’re fathers fully entitled to his opinion just as I am to mine. We may not have had central heating but we didn’t miss it and we didn’t have the massive energy bills we now have. Anybody working could afford a house on one wage, there was a respect for law and order, no drug gangs, murder was a rare event, hospitals were run properly, schools taught you how to spell and add up properly. Strikes were something you did with a match and footballers were normal people. There are so many ways that life was simpler and better then and it’s sad really that you’ll never experience it. If I could wish one thing for my grandchildren it would be that they could grow up in the times I did when they wouldn’t be threatened by so many of the things which affect lives now. Yes life in many ways is easier now but the quality of life can never compete.

6 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

NiC, you’re fathers fully entitled to his opinion just as I am to mine. We may not have had central heating but we didn’t miss it and we didn’t have the massive energy bills we now have. Anybody working could afford a house on one wage, there was a respect for law and order, no drug gangs, murder was a rare event, hospitals were run properly, schools taught you how to spell and add up properly. Strikes were something you did with a match and footballers were normal people. There are so many ways that life was simpler and better then and it’s sad really that you’ll never experience it. If I could wish one thing for my grandchildren it would be that they could grow up in the times I did when they wouldn’t be threatened by so many of the things which affect lives now. Yes life in many ways is easier now but the quality of life can never compete.

Touchy subject with NIC 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

😁 Literally EVERYONE remembers their childhood life being "better" than their life when they're getting old - no matter when they were born. Talk about wearing rose-tinted spectacles.

I bet you're one of those who thinks we should "Bring back National Service" too, even though you didn't do it yourself.

Edited by Cheese

4 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

It's bollocks. UK population has grown 8 million in the last 20 years from 59.5m in 2002 to 67.5m now (and FWIW all forecasts predict it will peak by 2050 at around 72.5m and decline thereafter) - in part controlled by the death rate of an ageing population.

Net migration has declined every single year since 2008.

As the UK birth rate has only declined marginally - from 1.2% of the population in 2008 to it's current level of 1.1% of the population whilst over the same time the net migration rate has declined to 0.29% it's clear as day that the increase in population is driven by births not immigration.

Either way, as the Baby boomers peg it and young Brits have finally discovered contraception, the UK will need new blood to salvage what's left of the economy.

I think you need to check your latest numbers Lusty, you’re quoting the now figure is probably 2020. It has grow exponentially since then with over half a million in the last year and that’s just legal immigration and doesn’t include channel migrants. Even if your 8m figure was correct it still mean we had to update all the servicing such as housing, health and education rapidly which we could not afford to do. Just accept facts Lusty instead of trying to deny the obvious to those with half a brain.

35 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

What a steaming pile of unadulterated pissfroth.

12 minutes ago, Ani said:

Massively but understandably so.

We all do it. Music these days IS shit compared to when I was a lad.

Just to take two measures he mentioned - days lost to industrial action is about as low as it's ever been.

The murder rate is lower now than it was in the 1990s

2 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

How did you cope when they started putting toilets indoors and colour TVs were introduced ? 

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Sweep said:

Yeh, but them immigrants all have about 20 kids each......and they all get free housing and benefits and stuff

Or something like that anyway

How the fuck does that happen? I thought all the immigrants were men, in’ it?

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

You edited the post to add the word mainly 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Either way, if sounds like you’re yearning for the 1960’s.

It can be done. Throw away most of your technology, buy a telly that will only show 2 BBC channels and get a car that breaks down every week.

Downgrade your heating to some thick curtains, get a water heater on the wall above your kitchen sink and only go down 2 aisles in the supermarket so your choices are similar to those of a 60’s  shopper 

Youll be happy as a pig in shit.

Edited by Spider

2 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Massively but understandably so.

We all do it. Music these days IS shit compared to when I was a lad.

Just to take two measures he mentioned - days lost to industrial action is about as low as it's ever been.

The murder rate is lower now than it was in the 1990s

And there will never be a better World Cup than 1990😋

6 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

It's bollocks. UK population has grown 8 million in the last 20 years from 59.5m in 2002 to 67.5m now (and FWIW all forecasts predict it will peak by 2050 at around 72.5m and decline thereafter) - in part controlled by the death rate of an ageing population.

Net migration has declined every single year since 2008.

As the UK birth rate has only declined marginally - from 1.2% of the population in 2008 to it's current level of 1.1% of the population whilst over the same time the net migration rate has declined to 0.29% it's clear as day that the increase in population is driven by births not immigration.

Either way, as the Baby boomers peg it and young Brits have finally discovered contraception, the UK will need new blood to salvage what's left of the economy.

Net migration has been in excess of 200,000 every year since 2002, with some years the figure reaching 300,000.

That is a net increase of at least 4,000,000 people, but probably in excess of 5,000,000 or more, with the birth rate remaining practically static.

Clearly, the higher the population the more babies are being born, but I'm not sure that undermines the claim that the increase in the population is mainly driven by immigration.

• Site Supporter

I always feel a bit sorry for folk who just can’t adapt to the world they live in.

dunno if it’s a mental weakness or a potty training thing, but it holds you back.

”I LIKE WHAT I LIKE AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS WITHOUT MERIT, BERYL”

I don’t like half the music my lad listens too but I’d never dismiss it as “worse” than the music I like. And in fairness, some of what he listens to is pretty good. Not that I’d ever tell him. 😁

Edited by Spider