Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

11 minutes ago, Spider said:

You edited the post to add the word mainly 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Either way, if sounds like you’re yearning for the 1960’s.

It can be done. Throw away most of your technology, buy a telly that will only show 2 BBC channels and get a car that breaks down every week.

Downgrade your heating to some thick curtains, get a water heater on the wall above your kitchen sink and only go down 2 aisles in the supermarket so your choices are similar to those of a 60’s  shopper 

Youll be happy as a pig in shit.

80s will do for me, that way when the kids get home from school they can play out till bed time. 

6 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

I'm amazed that former Tory parliamentary candidate and Brexiteer Tim Davie has allowed this to happen. Surely the whole point of of the Tory -controlled BBC Board installing him as the Director General of the BBC was to prevent any discussion about the failure of Brexit?

He stood for Hammersmith & Fulham Council - not Parliament, unless you know more.

I fucking love today and now. It's more stressful than when I was 18 and miss certain stuff, but loads of things are great.

Wish I had my own house but that's due to a divorce, not the age I was born into. Love new music, there's great bands and artists every week - and I can listen to it all for pretty much for free.

My 40s are great, kids are older so have more time, going to.more gigs and finally meeting up with friends not having the grind of the toddler years. Fuck your 20s, shit money and trying to.progress, 30s young kids and no time. 40s are alright, reckon my 50s might be better.

On more serious matters, all the other stuff people are yearning for is mythical.

Totally miss shite food, cold houses and smog. Sounds great but I'll give it a miss.

• Site Supporter

I remember the 80’s fondly but only because I was at school and had fuck all to worry about.

However, when I think about the bad times, they were more than plentiful. Mum working 2 jobs to bring me up, fortunately for her my brother and sisters were older and had moved out, but we had very little.

All folk who look back on these times remember are the “we got by and we had enough”

Sorry, but that’s fucking toss. That’s what people who spend their lives on benefits and never going on holiday say.

I want a better life than the one I had in the 80’s, and had a better life been available then you can be sure as fucking shit that we’d have taken it.

The past? Belongs there, and wishing we were back there is for people with rocks in their skulls, the silly wankers.

3 hours ago, Cheese said:

😁 Literally EVERYONE remembers their childhood life being "better" than their life when they're getting old - no matter when they were born. Talk about wearing rose-tinted spectacles.

I bet you're one of those who thinks we should "Bring back National Service" too, even though you didn't do it yourself.

Why do you have to continually prove how thick you are with your trite and stupid remarks? Of course we remember our childhoods and I’m not dismissing any of the improvements made over time but what I’m saying is that life in the UK was in my opinion far better then than it is now. Since the nineties under Blair’s government and as the EU became more involved in UK politics and ceased to be a trading agreement its all gone down hill. 

I don’t actually think that you and those who weren’t around then can possibly imagine how much better life was and obviously I don’t expect you to but consider that before we joined the EU we had one of the worlds most efficient farming systems. Our milk and dairy production was controlled by the Milk Marketing Board, not imported as it largely is now. All of that was destroyed by the CAP in favour of France, as was our fishing industry.

We had a productive engineering industry later destroyed by Germany in their new factories we largely paid for after the war. Immigration is entirely to blame for all the things you now moan about because as soon as cheap labour was available and encouraged by government companies stopped investing in British workers. The multi nationals closed down our industry and moved both jobs and equipment abroad, literally stripping out factories of machinery to send to places like China, India and the Far East.. Cheese, you don’t know the half of it mate. Look at the job market and other than the NHS tell me which other industry employs high quality, educated immigrants and which employs uneducated cheap labour.

Of course big business wants cheap Labour which is why Next are pushing to increase it rather than pay the extra £2 an hour others pay in their warehouses. If you want high quality, highly paid jobs it won’t come through immigration. Unless somebody, as Truss was trying to do albeit badly, gets a grip of this and starts to force companies to employ, train and pay well local school and university leavers this country will continue to sink. Until government forces companies to source inwardly and increase in work training and apprenticeships and the NHS is made to accept that it needs to train its own doctors and nurses nothing will improve. Changing the government won’t improve anything, Labour will be even worse than this lot, hard as it may be to believe but whilst there’s no silver bullet a stem of the immigration levels would be a massive start.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Why do you have to continually prove how thick you are with your trite and stupid remarks? Of course we remember our childhoods and I’m not dismissing any of the improvements made over time but what I’m saying is that life in the UK was in my opinion far better then than it is now. Since the nineties under Blair’s government and as the EU became more involved in UK politics and ceased to be a trading agreement its all gone down hill. 

I don’t actually think that you and those who weren’t around then can possibly imagine how much better life was and obviously I don’t expect you to but consider that before we joined the EU we had one of the worlds most efficient farming systems. Our milk and dairy production was controlled by the Milk Marketing Board, not imported as it largely is now. All of that was destroyed by the CAP in favour of France, as was our fishing industry.

We had a productive engineering industry later destroyed by Germany in their new factories we largely paid for after the war. Immigration is entirely to blame for all the things you now moan about because as soon as cheap labour was available and encouraged by government companies stopped investing in British workers. The multi nationals closed down our industry and moved both jobs and equipment abroad, literally stripping out factories of machinery to send to places like China, India and the Far East.. Cheese, you don’t know the half of it mate. Look at the job market and other than the NHS tell me which other industry employs high quality, educated immigrants and which employs uneducated cheap labour.

Of course big business wants cheap Labour which is why Next are pushing to increase it rather than pay the extra £2 an hour others pay in their warehouses. If you want high quality, highly paid jobs it won’t come through immigration. Unless somebody, as Truss was trying to do albeit badly, gets a grip of this and starts to force companies to employ, train and pay well local school and university leavers this country will continue to sink. Until government forces companies to source inwardly and increase in work training and apprenticeships and the NHS is made to accept that it needs to train its own doctors and nurses nothing will improve. Changing the government won’t improve anything, Labour will be even worse than this lot, hard as it may be to believe but whilst there’s no silver bullet a stem of the immigration levels would be a massive start.

You forgot the Corn Laws and Window Tax

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Well, unlucky Compo. You've had your pick of Governments over the last decade and a half, plus your beloved Brexit and all the promises that came with that, yet it's still 2022 in Britain. There's no going back. You'll just have to suck it up.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Ironically, the place you describe as being utopia is just a channel tunnel ride away.

mounts is going, you can saddle up with him.

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Fuck me :D

Just now, Cheese said:

Unless you could go back in time and still know what you do now...

But then you'd be middle aged. I dunno, some folks loved being at school, I was a bookish geek who was music obsessed. That's only become better as you get older. I always thought if the best you get is being 18, there's a lot of life left. Think that's why I left Bolton, couldn't stand just being in one place for the rest of my life. 

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

When was this golden era you seem to think happened ? 

Teen years - finding women, beer, lads holidays, Wanderers were amazing, starting work but still having the luxury of living at the parents, passing your driving test, getting your first car (and insurance and petrol you could afford), etc etc etc

If you didn’t like your teens it was deffo because you were fingered off your geography teacher. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

But then you'd be middle aged. I dunno, some folks loved being at school, I was a bookish geek who was music obsessed. That's only become better as you get older. I always thought if the best you get is being 18, there's a lot of life left. Think that's why I left Bolton, couldn't stand just being in one place for the rest of my life. 

Different for everyone innit. I hated school, even though I did very well academically. Mid-20's were my halcyon days. But I'd love to go back in time and give my teenage self some advice. Not that he'd believe me.