Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

7 minutes ago, royal white said:

Teen years - finding women, beer, lads holidays, Wanderers were amazing, starting work but still having the luxury of living at the parents, passing your driving test, getting your first car (and insurance and petrol you could afford), etc etc etc

If you didn’t like your teens it was deffo because you were fingered off your geography teacher. 

God, that sounds fucking dreadful.

Left home at 18, didn't pass my test until 28, can't think of anything worse than a 'lads holiday'. You sound like the blokes I enjoyed having a right old laugh at.

Still do, to be fair. But each to their own.

Just now, Cheese said:

Different for everyone innit. I hated school, even though I did very well academically. Mid-20's were my halcyon days. But I'd love to go back in time and give my teenage self some advice. Not that he'd believe me.

Yeah. My advice to me was dont be in such a hurry to grow up,  but as you say inwouldnt have listened. Wish I'd enjoyed being down south and single a lot more, wish I'd stayed up north for another year and given our band a proper go, but you make your choices, however ill informed. The great thing is, I don't think anything is over, never have.

For every generation there are always great things about the things that you grow up with.

Same applies to every decade but the reality is that for all great stuff there was a lot of shit. 3 day weeks, power cuts, Ireland, winter of discontent, etc etc

For everything people  these days look at that that might be wrong also look at opportunities there are my step lad off to Dubai next year at 24, his sister 3 years younger has her own business , was at my nephews wedding Saturday he is 25 got his own business ( Bolton based if you need splash backs in your kitchen) . 

Sounds corny but life is what you make of it , the examples above are young folk out there living their best lives. There is much you can do now that was not available in terms of travel, technology etc 

Edited by Ani

• Members
1 hour ago, Ani said:

When was this golden era you seem to think happened ? 

A matter of opinion but the optimism of the 50's after the ravages of war followed by the explosion of aspirational youth culture of the 60's  would take some beating. Incredible era which I was fortunate enough to experience.

W63 is pissing in the wind. I dips me lid to him though. Unless you experienced it, there is no way you could possibly grasp how completely uplifting it all was. Yes, there were obviously down sides here and there but the general feeling of optimistic exuberance and the feeling of real progress were constant. What happened in 1969 was probably the climax (no, not the dawn of the skinhead era - the other thing).

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

A matter of opinion but the optimism of the 50's after the ravages of war followed by the explosion of aspirational youth culture of the 60's  would take some beating. Incredible era which I was fortunate enough to experience.

W63 is pissing in the wind. I dips me lid to him though. Unless you experienced it, there is no way you could possibly grasp how completely uplifting it all was. Yes, there were obviously down sides here and there but the general feeling of optimistic exuberance and the feeling of real progress were constant. What happened in 1969 was probably the climax (no, not the dawn of the skinhead era - the other thing).

The 90’s shits all over any of that.

10 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Jesus, just how old are you? 

I thought you were 60 ish

Sounds like you're knocking on 75.

5 hours ago, Spider said:

You edited the post to add the word mainly 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Either way, if sounds like you’re yearning for the 1960’s.

It can be done. Throw away most of your technology, buy a telly that will only show 2 BBC channels and get a car that breaks down every week.

Downgrade your heating to some thick curtains, get a water heater on the wall above your kitchen sink and only go down 2 aisles in the supermarket so your choices are similar to those of a 60’s  shopper 

Youll be happy as a pig in shit.

Actually the 60s were great, especially the music and World Cup, it’s just what came after that you lot have ruined and by the way, there were no edits so you must try harder.

The 50s & 60s look like some of the worst times to me.  The UK was skint, owed a fortune to the US who by contrast were thriving, and we were still living on past empire 'glories' even as that empire was crumbling down around our ears.

Widespread poverty, with nonces on every corner, and delusions of superiority that held us back as a country, just as France and Germany were becoming more innovative and emerging from the war as progressive democracies.  We're still suffering from that period.  Only greater immigration and the trampling down of this kind of gammon nonsense, will see us become a stronger UK.

41 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Moon landings or the first airing of Scooby Do in 69 ? ( I had to look that up 😎🤣)

I was born in 65, so my earliest memories are the 70s. But the 60s is probably the decade where culture exploded in many ways. But the idea we can 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Actually the 60s were great, especially the music and World Cup, it’s just what came after that you lot have ruined and by the way, there were no edits so you must try harder.

No edits?

the problem with being stuck in the 60’s is your lack of know how when it comes to 21st century technology I suppose….

97256AC8-2D3A-477E-8ED6-4E858E3586B6.jpeg