Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

A matter of opinion but the optimism of the 50's after the ravages of war followed by the explosion of aspirational youth culture of the 60's  would take some beating. Incredible era which I was fortunate enough to experience.

W63 is pissing in the wind. I dips me lid to him though. Unless you experienced it, there is no way you could possibly grasp how completely uplifting it all was. Yes, there were obviously down sides here and there but the general feeling of optimistic exuberance and the feeling of real progress were constant. What happened in 1969 was probably the climax (no, not the dawn of the skinhead era - the other thing).

I know I’m pissing in the wind 58 but it’s so much fun because whilst you and I enjoyed that era I know the nay sayers on here didn’t and will never understand how incredible it was because it will never be repeated. The “you’ve never had it so good” comment was oh so true whether they accept it or not. 🤗

17 minutes ago, Spider said:

No edits?

the problem with being stuck in the 60’s is your lack of know how when it comes to 21st century technology I suppose….

97256AC8-2D3A-477E-8ED6-4E858E3586B6.jpeg

Unlike you and many others on here I read back my posts and correct spelling but I guess that’s something you “texters” don’t worry about. Sorry to spoil you’re little wheeze but as usual you’re completely wrong. Nice try though. 😉

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Unlike you and many others on here I read back my posts and correct spelling but I guess that’s something you “texters” don’t worry about. Sorry to spoil you’re little wheeze but as usual you’re completely wrong. Nice try though. 😉

Well I studied English at uni<versity> , but I’m sure you’d dismiss such things as ridiculous and tell me that in the 60’s people got “proper” jobs enamelling scooters or emptying bins by hand.

Im sorry Britain moved on without you, but we had to. We couldn’t just sit around with you still shouting at each other down analogue phones and switching between 2 TV channels using a walking stick.

Apologies for all longer life expectancy, the amazing drugs and cancer cures, and the ability to whisk you to your cruise ship on an aeroplane that you sat and watched a movie on.

We’re sorry. I hope you find your utopia in whatever clatteringly awful 60’s life you aspire to. Which isn’t weird in any way.

• Members
1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

The 50s & 60s look like some of the worst times to me.  The UK was skint, owed a fortune to the US who by contrast were thriving, and we were still living on past empire 'glories' even as that empire was crumbling down around our ears.

Widespread poverty, with nonces on every corner, and delusions of superiority that held us back as a country, just as France and Germany were becoming more innovative and emerging from the war as progressive democracies.  We're still suffering from that period.  Only greater immigration and the trampling down of this kind of gammon nonsense, will see us become a stronger UK.

:rofl: FFS. Duck egg by name, duck egg by nature.

• Members
1 hour ago, Ani said:

Moon landings or the first airing of Scooby Do in 69 ? ( I had to look that up 😎🤣)

I was born in 65, so my earliest memories are the 70s. But the 60s is probably the decade where culture exploded in many ways. But the idea we can 

Scooby Do of course :roll:

Becoming a bit Bob The Builder at the end there. Hang on, I'll rearrange the letters. Bob :D

Edited by bolty58

• Members
1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

I know I’m pissing in the wind 58 but it’s so much fun because whilst you and I enjoyed that era I know the nay sayers on here didn’t and will never understand how incredible it was because it will never be repeated. The “you’ve never had it so good” comment was oh so true whether they accept it or not. 🤗

Correct, it makes little difference what they accept or otherwise. You and I know and can be content with that.

• Members
1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Sir, you are dealing here with a bloke who wanted to vote remain but inexplicably voted to leave. Even the simplest diagram on a piece of paper apparently confuses him.

I am sure that with this knowledge, you won't be lectured by him on such things as editing and the like.

See the eary 90s was ace. Bolton cup runs, playing every night seting fire to stuff.

In reality though, every fucker was skint. We had crispy pancakes for tea and my mum worked 3 jobs to keep the heating on. Never saw my Dad as he was grafting 7 days a week too.

There was dogshit on pavements eveywhere and you could smoke in cafes and planes.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Sir, you are dealing here with a bloke who wanted to vote remain but inexplicably voted to leave. Even the simplest diagram on a piece of paper apparently confuses him.

I am sure that with this knowledge, you won't be lectured by him on such things as editing and the like.

State of this 

7 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Scooby Do of course :roll:

Becoming a bit Bob The Builder at the end there. Hang on, I'll rearrange the letters. Bob :D

lol was going to go on list all the things we can do now that were out of reach back in the 60s. But could not be arsed then forgot to delete.

My real point is no matter the decade or your age there are opportunities there , get out and live a life that you choose. You might want to travel, you might love life at home just live your best life. 

• Members
8 minutes ago, Ani said:

lol was going to go on list all the things we can do now that were out of reach back in the 60s. But could not be arsed then forgot to delete.

My real point is no matter the decade or your age there are opportunities there , get out and live a life that you choose. You might want to travel, you might love life at home just live your best life. 

With you on all of that mate. Very true.

7 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Fantastic post. 🤣🤣🤣

8 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

It's '..your little wheeze' not 'you're'

I presume you missed it when reading it back?

• Site Supporter

I’m going to pretend it’s the 60’s today.

Ive opened all the windows and turned the heating off but we’re cold and happier than future people with their central heating.

Im having powdered egg for breakfast with bread smothered in a thin swipe of lard (margarine is a while off yet). We’re hungry and it tastes like shit but we’re happier than future people with their French pastries and drive through coffee.

then I’m going to walk to work with my packed lunch of bread, lard and powdered egg. I’d drive but only 1 family on the street have a car and that’s currently up on a ramp with the engine hanging out. Think it’s an Austin made in Birmingham. They’d make more but the brummie lads probably went on strike. But that makes me happier than future people who can drive to work.

Ill whistle as I walk to work because that’s the only entertainment available, but we’re all happier as a result than future people will be with their access to tv and music at the touch of a button.

Ill spend 10 hours at work hoping I don’t slice my fingers off on the lathe, because if I do someone else will take my job and compensation for me will be a bag of plasters and a packet of Capstan full strength off the boss who’ll barely look up from his copy of the Express. Because employee protections are basically zero but we’re all happier as a result than future people will be.

Then it’s gone for an evening of sitting listening to the Archers on the wireless. May even go to the pub if it’s Friday for a pint of warm mild beer. That’s really all there is to choose from but that makes us happier than future people who will just be confused with all the options. Landlord will kick us out at 11 in case the Nazis decide to do one last bombing raid 

But we’re happier than future people.

17 minutes ago, Spider said:

I’m going to pretend it’s the 60’s today.

Ive opened all the windows and turned the heating off but we’re cold and happier than future people with their central heating.

Im having powdered egg for breakfast with bread smothered in a thin swipe of lard (margarine is a while off yet). We’re hungry and it tastes like shit but we’re happier than future people with their French pastries and drive through coffee.

then I’m going to walk to work with my packed lunch of bread, lard and powdered egg. I’d drive but only 1 family on the street have a car and that’s currently up on a ramp with the engine hanging out. Think it’s an Austin made in Birmingham. They’d make more but the brummie lads probably went on strike. But that makes me happier than future people who can drive to work.

Ill whistle as I walk to work because that’s the only entertainment available, but we’re all happier as a result than future people will be with their access to tv and music at the touch of a button.

Ill spend 10 hours at work hoping I don’t slice my fingers off on the lathe, because if I do someone else will take my job and compensation for me will be a bag of plasters and a packet of Capstan full strength off the boss who’ll barely look up from his copy of the Express. Because employee protections are basically zero but we’re all happier as a result than future people will be.

Then it’s gone for an evening of sitting listening to the Archers on the wireless. May even go to the pub if it’s Friday for a pint of warm mild beer. That’s really all there is to choose from but that makes us happier than future people who will just be confused with all the options. Landlord will kick us out at 11 in case the Nazis decide to do one last bombing raid 

But we’re happier than future people.

I suppose the only ones who can agree or disagree with that are the ones who lived through both periods 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, royal white said:

I suppose the only ones who can agree or disagree with that are the ones who lived through both periods 

Imagine having to live out the rest of your life wishing you were still 16 though.

They must be suicidal having to put up with modern life. 😁

9 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

I suggest you read through again then.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.😃

To have actually lived in and truly  experienced the 60s you'd have to be 75 ish. You'd want to be 23 ish in 1969 to gets the arse end of the cultural phenomenon of the 60s under your belt.

Whitesince63's user name suggests he was born in 1963 (I may be totally wrong here) so he was 6 years old in 1969.

Hardly the age to have experienced all the the 60s had to offer unless primary school was fucking brilliant.

Same goes for our Aussie bullshitter.

Edited by mickbrown

11 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

More proof of the quality education delivered. By the way piss froth is two words.

You really don't know shite all about me, do you? Anyway.

As I say my Dad would laugh his little cottons off at your posts - and I honestly think you weren't really a child of the 60s, y'know been a teenager throughout that period. My folks have told me tales of whether they wanted to book The Beatles for a sixth form bash as you could because they were just out and gigging. Hearing Elvis for the first time on a crappy radio...and still go to school with a hankie covering your mouth because of the smog pre the clean air act, and said hankie filthy by the time you got there. Ice cold mornings, sleeping in the same bedroom with your parents until you were 13, your mum dying of a now preventable illness when you were 14...glory days.

As for education, my folks both became teachers, were taught in the 60s - my mum failed the 11 plus, was thrown on the academic scrapheap and was a lead examiner by the age of 45. Such quality education. You want anymore proof, look at waht you and Bolty post - I take it you both missed the critical reasoning classes.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, gonzo said:

See the eary 90s was ace. Bolton cup runs, playing every night seting fire to stuff.

In reality though, every fucker was skint. We had crispy pancakes for tea and my mum worked 3 jobs to keep the heating on. Never saw my Dad as he was grafting 7 days a week too.

There was dogshit on pavements eveywhere and you could smoke in cafes and planes.

12 hours ago, Spider said:

The 90’s shits all over any of that.

the 90s were ace

the rise of the wanderers

brit pop

cool britannia

new labour

the emergence of the internet

sunday shopping

it felt like a new dawn

the difference between the start of the 90s and the end in terms of progress was so fast, never known anything like it

of course, they were also my formative years from 12 to 22 and all I'd known was the 80s

but the 80s were shite, you had to wait for everything, and half the time there was nothing to do

this song somes up the 80s

and this one the 90s

I've no idea what the 60s and 70s were like

the 00s were decent

then things just starting plodding along and I lost touch

but I know I'll spend the 2030s and 2040s telling  my kids how fucking ace the 90s were

2 hours ago, mickbrown said:

To have actually lived in and truly  experienced the 60s you'd have to be 75 ish. You'd want to be 23 ish in 1969 to gets the arse end of the cultural phenomenon of the 60s under your belt.

Whitesince63's user name suggests he was born in 1963 (I may be totally wrong here) so he was 6 years old in 1969.

Hardly the age to have experienced all the the 60s had to offer unless primary school was fucking brilliant.

Same goes for our Aussie bullshitter.

I would suggest he wasn't born a White, probably a child of the early mid 50s.  

early 90s to about 96 was great music wise and then it went shit for me. Grunge, Shoegaze, Grebo and then early Britpop was ok, but I think that was only about 18 months then the likes of Shed Seven and Gene started popping up everywhere like melanomas.

2000's I had little sprogs so sort of lost touch with popular music but got really into things like Metric and Broken Social Scene.

I think the last five years has seen some of the best pop music being produced - King Gizzard, Yard Act, Warmducher, Sharon Von Etten, Weyes Blood, Soccer Mommy, Sudan Archives, Jack White, Crows, Pearl Charles, Harry Styles, Big Thief have all released outstanding albums this year. 

Sorry forgot to add American Heartbreak by Zach Bryan - if you never thought you like Country music, this is the album that should change your mind. Timeless.

Edited by Not in Crawley