Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
Just now, Not in Crawley said:

I've made a few mistakes on that front as a younger man, one cost me my best mate at uni. Learnt a bit from that.

Well, tried to - being a straight bloke in a profession which is over 90% women has lead to some situations that with a bit more experience I wouldn't wanted to have gotten into. Live and learn.

AA335FCB-1C19-4DF1-8FC2-B7E7144DBAA9.jpeg

when I left school I was a 16 year old apprentice engineer and the older fellas were telling me how shit engineering is now compared to a few years ago, I joined the prison service at 28 and older staff were telling me how shit it is now compared to years ago, in my  40's I was telling new recruits how shit it is now compared to a few years ago, I started a new job in August at 64 years old and experienced staff are telling me how shit it is compared to years ago. Comparism's will always be made but at the time you don't know any better

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

You see again spider you’re completely missing the point. I could list hundreds of things that are better today and I’d have no arguments with you about any of them. Maybe you’re right and I’m just a miserable old cunt looking through my rose tinted but despite all the fantastic advances I’ve seen in my lifetime, I’d swap it all for the amazing times of the fifties and sixties, a period which will never be repeated and during which so many changes occurred. The “roaring” sixties in particular were completely incredible and the modern lifestyles we have today were borne from it. Look, the modern world is fantastic in so many ways and I’m not going to argue with you on that but I’m afraid it also has its downsides and for me that’s where the difference is. You weren’t there, you couldn’t possibly know and I accept that, so if you’re happy with the world you’re making then that’s all that matters. Personally I fear and despair of what I’m leaving for my grandkids but I accept it’s down to them to make the best of it and I’m sure they will. 

Just a point, was it not the “ swinging” 60s? 

the 1920s was   “ roaring 20s” I thought . 

thought if you could remember the 60s you weren’t really there too ?

49 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I'm dreading the next lad's holiday which is  trip to next year's Oktoberfest with a bunch of 22 to 33 year olds I play footie with. I don't like lager (IPA is my preference these days) and am slightly concerned about taking my afternoon nap in case they shave my eyebrows and gloss paint my bollocks.

Yeah. Feeling for you here.

3 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Just a point, was it not the “ swinging” 60s? 

the 1920s was   “ roaring 20s” I thought . 

thought if you could remember the 60s you weren’t really there too ?

I think if you were on Carnaby Street the 60s were swinging, for the rest of the country it was a lot closer to Spring and Port Wine.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I think if you were on Carnaby Street the 60s were swinging, for the rest of the country it was a lot closer to Last of the Summer Wine.

Edited by Spider

23 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Well, maybe he's doing the full cultural tour like you did 😁

Full cultural ones were in Thailand. Lovely skiing holidays with the lads in the states and Sweden, sporting events around the world all superb. But like you say some would find it awful. I might get the lads around this weekend and listen to some SMASH greatest hits. Just so that I can compare 

• Site Supporter
Just now, royal white said:

Full cultural ones were in Thailand. Lovely skiing holidays with the lads in the states and Sweden, sporting events around the world all superb. But like you say some would find it awful. I might get the lads around this weekend and listen to some SMASH greatest hits. Just so that I can compare 

Iamin 

When you're young and start to break free from parental influence it's nearly always the best of times - and the time when sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll are new and fresh - regardless of the generation. It shapes you for life.

Always amuses me when teenagers seem to think that nobody has ever done what they are discovering and how their group of friends that are sharing those experiences of self-discovery are the best group of friends that ever existed - and how their bond is so deep that they'll be friends forever - and the music that provides the backing track will be with them for life.

By their mid-20s, those friends have often moved away, died, or turned out to be not the people they thought they were, but the personal experiences last a lifetime.

You can't compare the decades, because you are measuring personal experience.

As my mum used to misguidely tell us when we were overly competitive "the winner is the one who has most fun". Wise words really because I tried the same trick on my kids.

11 minutes ago, royal white said:

Be a short listen.

2 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

If our gdp was 5.2% higher we’d be outperforming everyone in the G7. It leads me to conclude that this government, elected in 2019, is not crashing the economy, Brexit is. 
Therefore we should cut them some slack.

Apart from the fact that this government was elected 'to get Brexit done '

Oh, and they're a bunch of cunts.

1 minute ago, mickbrown said:

Apart from the fact that this government was elected 'to get Brexit done '

Oh, and they're a bunch of cunts.

They crashed the £ literally weeks ago as well and had to get a ridiculously high bail out. As well as being bellends.

2 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

If our gdp was 5.2% higher we’d be outperforming everyone in the G7. It leads me to conclude that this government, elected in 2019, is not crashing the economy, Brexit is. 
Therefore we should cut them some slack.

But our GDP is nt 5.2% we are not. 

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I think if you were on Carnaby Street the 60s were swinging, for the rest of the country it was a lot closer to Spring and Port Wine.

Or Kathy come home. 

you had a kitchen like this, but you could shave in it and then go and see Roy Orbison on Crompton way for 3d 

so you know, swings and roundabouts,  I’ve got fancy heated tile bathroom that’s inside the house but the bees knees is now a happy shopper so I’m torn as to which is best 

B26146FF-2476-4662-A75A-2DB503EC14C2.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

What amuses me most about this little discussion is how little you know about me, but how much you think you do.

It makes it funny giving you a little poke now and again. Like having my own little court jester.

You’re so cute when you’re angry 😂😘