Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Exactly. Also, France must look at us and compare the amount of asylum seekers they and the rest of Europe are dealing with and think we have lost the plot.

France has already declared the uk as being too soft. Therefore the will be happy at measures to toughen up, won't they. 

On the other hand France continues to allow migrants to mass near the beaches, so their own record on removing them isn't great, this despite the fact that they refuse far more asylum applications than we do.

The number they allow to claim asylum, like any nation is their decision. If they have the space, infrastructure etc, then they'll manage perfectly well.

As an aside, we (the UK) uphold more ECHR decisions than others, at around 80%. Germany around 60% and Spain around 40%. Haven't got other nations' figures, but this confirms what was previously reported.

This, of itself, means the debate around being in or out of it is to an extent irrelevant, just do what is right for us. Works for others.

4 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Exactly. Also, France must look at us and compare the amount of asylum seekers they and the rest of Europe are dealing with and think we have lost the plot.

We must be looking at the rest of Europe and think how the fuck have we, being an Island, got one of the largest population of illegal immigrants

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

France has already declared the uk as being too soft. Therefore the will be happy at measures to toughen up, won't they. 

I suppose the harder the UK is seen to be, the less likely migrants might be inclined to travel to the UK...thus meaning they don't bother transiting into France

6 hours ago, tomski said:

What power have the government taken back other than the change of passport colour?

One of the key reasons I voted remain was the fact out government are a bit rubbish(I only think the snide aspect came from Boris on)

They’ve done nothing since to tell me my original opinion was wrong. 

Even the stuff I don’t agree with like the dinghy policies they can’t do. 

They are only good at increasing tax for things such as sugar and deposit return schemes and even in the latter they’ve fucked that up.

They didn't even need to take it back, it was voluntary and they could have reversed it  :

The Government could have changed the colour of British passports back to blue at any time regardless of Brexit, it has emerged.

Theresa May described the decision to revert to the “iconic” colour as an “expression of our independence and sovereignty” away from the EU.

But the Home Office confirmed that the UK voluntarily adopted common passport criteria from the European Economic Community (EEC) and was not obliged to keep it.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, royal white said:

We must be looking at the rest of Europe and think how the fuck have we, being an Island, got one of the largest population of illegal immigrants

Before Cheese asks, where’s the stats for this?

Any figure is an estimate, no way of knowing really. Though it’s probably an estimate that’s not too far off as it includes undocumented folk waiting on an appeal or those with children born here.

Looking forward to finally getting it all sorted with this tough fucker of a policy. I’m sure my gas bill and nhs waiting time will come right down as soon as the boats stop 👍