Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Nothing to do with freedom of speech. He hasn't been banned from twitter. He's been told to behave in a manner that other bbc employees/contactors have to.

Fucks sake, there are hundreds of thousands of folk who are bound by conditions of employment over what they say. My wife being one of them. If she went on such a tirade, she could well be sacked, and not suspended or whatever Lineker's situation is.

He can say whatever the fuck he wants- just remove himself from the bbc which has its charter and includes impartiality restrictions. 

Other bbc employees have also been "removed" for breaching their contract in a similar way, and lineker is no different. 

It's quite simple: if you don't want to be bound by such agreements, don't work for an organisation that has them.

Though no doubt a few million per year might sway the moral compass.

Lineker isn't a BBC employee is he?

Anyway, regardless, the BBC have scored a massive own goal on this.

Edited by DazBob

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Winchester White said:

Clarkson wrote an article that was in poor taste but he shouldn't have been pilloried they way he was. It was stupid and he should have apologised properly (he didnt) and then that should have been the end of it.

Different to Lineker imo.

What should Clarkson have done diffraction by means of apology?

He wrote to them with a heartfelt apology. Probably shouldn't have, but that's his decision. 

They then rejected it.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Lineker isn't a BBC employee is he?

No, I've explained it above though.

Apparently, even those in his position can still be covered by their restrictions. I've written about a presenter that was in this position and left, for the very reason as to be able to give her views.

As for the "own goal", lineker has form and has consistently got away with it. 

Others that have been removed may have been looking and thinking about "unfair dismissal" or some such. 

He cannot be bigger than the bbc itself, and as was spoken about on the TV, may have been bringing the organisation into disrepute.

It is also the case that he hasn't been sacked or had his contract terminated.

He'll be back, after his "discussions" and maybe a public apology, unless he decides to go elsewhere. Though its doubtful the money will be as good.

13 minutes ago, DazBob said:

See what you did there.

If it’s a question of keeping to the rules then the whataboutery is absolutely relevant when it comes to even what the political correspondents can tweet 

37 minutes ago, royal white said:

😂😂 there’s no excuse, if he’s broke the rules then he’s gone if he’s not then time to speak to his lawyers. 

Bit of whataboutery as we all like that.

What’s the line for freedom of speech? How many times have we seen on social media, especially Twitter, someone make a fool of themselves and say something they probably didn’t mean. Within minutes, again left and right, the person who fucked up has his employers name plastered all over social media. Now this isn’t the face of the BBC we are taking about, this is little Johnny who works for a plumbing firm. Johnny is sacked before he wakes up from his drunken slumber. So where’s the line? (Im sure the BBC have one) 

There were no set rules, it was an impartiality rule with no line drawn (your link above is evidence of this). They've decided he crossed it for voicing an opinion off air, in his own time. 

He's a sports pundit ffs - I can understand if he's interviewing politicians right, left and centre. 

It's blatantly obvious that they've fucked up here and should have allowed him an opinion. Even Jeremy Fucking Clarkson has acknowledged it and defended him. It's honestly pure gold hearing yourself and TMJ defend the decision. 

I've no idea what you're rambling on about regarding Johnny the plumber? You've lost me mate. I was under the impression the only plumbers we had left were Albanian anyhow. 

Edited by London Wanderer

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, royal white said:

In one. As I said previously, it's an employment issue, and when he told journalists he stuck by his comments, and that he would be presenting the show on Saturday, he effectively lay down a direct challenge to his employer's authority. 

He's put them in a very difficult position through repeated "breaches".

2 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Gammons showing themselves up here. Big time.

I'm genuinely amazed 🤣

They're still bouncing off each other above. The same people who I've seen countless times criticise cancel culture (and rightly so). 

The Sky News clip nails it in one - well worth the watch. Chairman donations to a political party are allowed, criticism of Qatar's human rights are allowed, but this isn't? The mind boggles. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’ll leave this here. He should drop the mic at the end, really.

He's right, it should apply to all.

This is an issue with the way in which the top brass are appointed. It's not just the current government that appoints folk "in their image" neither- that's where the report above is incomplete- it's a normal occurrence.

https://www.warc.com/newsandopinion/news/blairs-buddy-appointed-chairman-of-bbc/9670

He later resigned following the Hutton report.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

I'm genuinely amazed 🤣

They're still bouncing off each other above. The same people who I've seen countless times criticise cancel culture (and rightly so). 

The Sky News clip nails it in one - well worth the watch. Chairman donations to a political party are allowed, criticism of Qatar's human rights are allowed, but this isn't? The mind boggles. 

Another one.

Do some research- I've even helped you.

• Site Supporter
Just now, captainmed said:

He thinks he’s above the rules though.

He ain’t.

Well done BBC.

Get rid.

Therein is the issue. CR7 was fucked off for the same thing, and everyone agreed it was a positive move. 

However when this mon cops for it, its gammon this, free speech that.

It's really quite easy to get a fuller picture, but it's not the done thing- just screech loudly.

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

He's right, it should apply to all.

This is an issue with the way in which the top brass are appointed. It's not just the current government that appoints folk "in their image" neither- that's where the report above is incomplete- it's a normal occurrence.

https://www.warc.com/newsandopinion/news/blairs-buddy-appointed-chairman-of-bbc/9670

He later resigned following the Hutton report.

This is nothing to do with any of that.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Therein is the issue. CR7 was fucked off for the same thing, and everyone agreed it was a positive move. 

However when this mon cops for it, its gammon this, free speech that.

It's really quite easy to get a fuller picture, but it's not the done thing- just screech loudly.

This is nothing to do with any of that.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

Even Piers Morgan agrees 😆

Keep digging

What the fuck does that even mean?

I know it's been a while since Blair was in office, but try a read, and you might understand. 

It's the norm, perhaps wrongly so, but not a one party issue. Whether or not you like to portray it that way.