Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

44 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

You often confuse rants with a point of view.

Must be an age thing 😉

Plus I'm in a hospital waiting room to get my bandages changed, and annoyingly finished my book (Gentleman of Moscow - it's a belter- highly recomended) so thought I'd have a prod - see if I can get anything out of you.

Struggled to get into that. Abandoned it early on just after he met the little girl.

Worth a revisit?

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Must be an age thing 😉

Plus I'm in a hospital waiting room to get my bandages changed, and annoyingly finished my book (Gentleman of Moscow - it's a belter- highly recomended) so thought I'd have a prod - see if I can get anything out of you.

No thanks. Discrimination takes all forms. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, BobyBrno said:

Maybe we should have a vote to have a vote. Then everyone will be happy.😊

Best get a referendum sorted first.

I won’t bother this time.

unless there’s an option to join the Galactic Federation of Planets

1 hour ago, mickbrown said:

Struggled to get into that. Abandoned it early on just after he met the little girl.

Worth a revisit?

My mum said exactly the same, but I loved it from the off - just really liked the main character.

I would - just because it's a really interesting way to tell the story of Russia in a fiction novel. But if you're not feeling the central character it'll be a real slog.

12 minutes ago, Spider said:

If we do have another vote, the younger people can have their say as Crawley wants. I’ve said before that Brexit created an ageist angst that still prevails.
This shows that older people were more likely to vote than younger 64% to 90% (I was in neither category)😊

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/09/young-people-referendum-turnout-brexit-twice-as-high

The report also corrected original misreported stats.  If the younger voters had come out in the same numbers as the older, we may not be where we are now. In fact, they are percentages of age groups not numbers. I’d guess there are more people in the younger and above groups than the younger.

It still goes on. At the local council elections, 2/3 of voters didn’t bother. I would guess from people I’ve spoken to that those that did were older. 

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Fucking Vulcans, coming down here and taking all our jobs. I'm not speciesist (some of my best friends are Klingon), but them pointy eared bastards swan in thinking they own the gaff just because they have an IQ of 600. "Live long and fuck off back to where you came from" I say...

5 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Must be an age thing 😉

I’ve actually just reread this again. A Gentleman in Moscow. I actually thought you’d wrote a book. Nothing annoying about finishing a book. There’s always another to start. I’ll give it a go. Always open to recommendations from whatever source.👍

10 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

I’ve actually just reread this again. A Gentleman in Moscow. I actually thought you’d wrote a book. Nothing annoying about finishing a book. There’s always another to start. I’ll give it a go. Always open to recommendations from whatever source.👍

Bizarrely, I heard about it from Eric Dyer.

They're making a film of it, Ewan MacGregor is in it. They filmed a bit in Bolton the other month.

40 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

😊

It's also being made into a TV series and was filmed around Bolton.

Apologies- didn't read Mick's post!

Edited by Not in Crawley

7 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

😊

It's also being made into a TV series and was filmed around Bolton.

Apologies- didn't read Mick's post!

I definitely need to finish it now just so I can be one of those twats that say it's not a patch on the book.

18 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I definitely need to finish it now just so I can be one of those twats that say it's not a patch on the book.

😊 why do you think I read it? Also to blag my mother into giving it another go!

Alongside that book on Northern Ireland I've just started Deamon Copperhead a fiction about the opioid crisis in the rust belt. It's based on David Copperfield- supposed to be a great read.

• Members
On 02/06/2023 at 19:12, Spider said:

He’s not a fan of democracy.

only yesterday he was saying voting should be restricted to men between the age of 26 and 65, with no lasses, queers or Labour voters allowed.

Lying yet again I see. Bye.