Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Comparisons are very relevant when folk say something silly like it’s Brexit causing inflation, while the whole of Europe is facing similar problems. Anyhow I’ll move on as it’s tedious and I’ve proved my point. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-27/brexit-explains-80-of-u-k-inflation-former-boe-official-says#xj4y7vzkg

Silly President of the Peterson Institute for International Economics. What the fuck does he know?

1 minute ago, BobyBrno said:

To be fair I don’t think anyone has said it’s had zero affect. The current inflation figure for the U.K. is slightly higher than some Eu countries but much smaller than others. Each country has its own reasons for inflation but the global economy is the biggest reason of all for all countries.

I agree, each country measure it differently as well (as demonstrated further up by Traf) - all of my suppliers in the Far East are utterly cacking themselves at the minute about the inflation in Europe and the US, and some of them have actually down tuned their forecasts for the rest of this year by up to 30%

Like it or lump it, we're going to be, and so is most of the rest of the developed world, for the next couple of years. Time to tighten the old belts, as we're in for a bumpy ride, especially when winter gets here and folk have to turn their heating back on

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Comparisons are very relevant when folk say something silly like it’s Brexit causing inflation, while the whole of Europe is facing similar problems. Anyhow I’ll move on as it’s tedious and I’ve proved my point. 

It's simple. 

Brexit was responsible for the 2008 financial crash, for the evolution of covid 19 and its subsequent effects on world trade, and for Putin attacking Ukraine.

This government is complicit in all of this, even the American inflation rate of 8.6% is entirely down to brexit, and they are self sufficient in energy.

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's simple. 

Brexit was responsible for the 2008 financial crash, for the evolution of covid 19 and its subsequent effects on world trade, and for Putin attacking Ukraine.

This government is complicit in all of this, even the American inflation rate of 8.6% is entirely down to brexit, and they are self sufficient in energy.

The worldwide 2008 crash was Gordon Brown's fault. You silly boy😃

The last three pages of this thread have become totally nosensical. The idea that economic issues are all totally seperate and have no bearing on one another is just plain silly.

And having read through, I'm not sure anyone has totally blamed 'Brexit' for every single one of the current issues the country is facing, but to say it has no effect as though its a boxed off, side issue is plainly not the case.

As has been mentioned, its not a political debate anyore this, in as much as the Conservatives are not really the conservative party anymore, its a belief system on which you die upon that hill to defend. On occassion, both sides. However, those still suporting Brexit are appear to be clutching at thinly disguised straws. 

If your argument is that it Brexit is ok because it didn't really contribute to a global economic downturn, its not exactly firm ground, is it?

Edited by Not in Crawley

5 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

The last three pages of this thread have become totally nosensical. The idea that economic issues are all totally seperate and have no bearing on one another is just plain silly.

And having read through, I'm not sure anyone has totally blamed 'Brexit' for every single one of the current issues the country is facing, but to say it has no effect as though its a boxed off, side issue is plainly not the case.

As has been mentioned, its not a political debate anyore this, in as much as the Conservatives are not really the conservative party anymore, its a belief system on which you die upon that hill to defend. On occassion, both sides. However, those still suporting Brexit are appear to be clutching at thinly disguised straws. 

If your argument is that it Brexit is ok because it didn't really contribute to a global economic downturn, its not exactly firm ground, is it?

Correct. Ani made the point yesterday that the brexit debate is no longer about brexit benefits (still waiting for those) to instead “you can’t blame everything on brexit”. That is what we are supposed to be ok with now😀

8 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Correct. Ani made the point yesterday that the brexit debate is no longer about brexit benefits (still waiting for those) to instead “you can’t blame everything on brexit”. That is what we are supposed to be ok with now😀

Indeed, Patten made the point on LBC i think, saying that its a debate to saying that its about the different sorts of Breixt and if such and such had done that, then we'd be seeing a different outcome which is also smoke and mirrors.

1 minute ago, DazBob said:

I don't know, there has been some really interesting points made and insight into why people take positions has been interesting to see. It certainly useful to be outside of any echo chamber and hear other people, even if you don't agree or think their points aren't valid.

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's simple. 

no there are not, its a Republican talking point which is bullshit

Been a few mentions about the 70’s on here recently. A time of inflation. The answer to inflation, as far as the unions was concerned was higher wages. Higher wages leads to, well inflation. The government’s at the time tried their best to curb it against a relentless tide of strike after strike.

3 government’s tried, 2 Labour and 1 Conservative. 
Once unions gain control of the economy, it’s nothing but a downward spiral. If we are to avoid the madness of the 70’s, it’ll take a strong government with firm economic policies with the backing of the people. It may be this one or another in 2024. Whoever it is has to be stronger than the unions.

41 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Been a few mentions about the 70’s on here recently. A time of inflation. The answer to inflation, as far as the unions was concerned was higher wages. Higher wages leads to, well inflation. The government’s at the time tried their best to curb it against a relentless tide of strike after strike.

3 government’s tried, 2 Labour and 1 Conservative. 
Once unions gain control of the economy, it’s nothing but a downward spiral. If we are to avoid the madness of the 70’s, it’ll take a strong government with firm economic policies with the backing of the people. It may be this one or another in 2024. Whoever it is has to be stronger than the unions.

People deserve a wage they can live on and not relying on food banks whilst in work. We all deserve to have safe working conditions and practices. These are the basics of this strike and we have an unfit government being lead by a liar. That is a combination that will spiral the economy!

14 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Aye, Chris Philp, what a snivelling snide arsehole. 

I've seen him a few times on TV recently, he couldn't be anymore "Tory" if he tried. I do feel a bit sorry for him, because he's fighting a lost cause at present, and it seems is the only one of the current cabinet who they're allowing to be wheeled out, on a regular basis, to face the media

34 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

People deserve a wage they can live on and not relying on food banks whilst in work. We all deserve to have safe working conditions and practices. These are the basics of this strike and we have an unfit government being lead by a liar. That is a combination that will spiral the economy!

Give everyone a 20% rise. The government will have to borrow the money. It’ll have to be paid back eventually. That leads io inflation and that leads to high interest rates (I was one of the ones with a 15% mortgage)  that leads to inflation etc. etc. Been there before. It’s the economics of madness. 

8 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Give everyone a 20% rise. The government will have to borrow the money. It’ll have to be paid back eventually. That leads io inflation and that leads to high interest rates (I was one of the ones with a 15% mortgage)  that leads to inflation etc. etc. Been there before. It’s the economics of madness. 

Why would the government have to borrow money?