Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

It's all going a bit odd in Bolty towers lately.

Indeed the schitck just doest work with Northern place names starting with C. Place name deffo needs to be well within London's orbit to work. 

Camden/Croydon/Canterbury/Catford all strong possibilities. 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Fair assessment in my view. The ‘crashed the economy’ trope, widely spouted is just nonsense.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jun/23/tories-did-not-lay-waste-to-the-economy-but-the-myth-suits-labour-campaign-message-election

IMG_1232.jpeg

Labour aren’t communists either but Bolty completely believes it to be the case.

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Fair assessment in my view. The ‘crashed the economy’ trope, widely spouted is just nonsense.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jun/23/tories-did-not-lay-waste-to-the-economy-but-the-myth-suits-labour-campaign-message-election

IMG_1232.jpeg

Fair game after the 2010 Conservative campaign. 🙂

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Or the referendum campaign. Just tell lies. The gullible will fall for it. 
Nothing CHANGEs.

Gullible. Hopeful. Believing things could be better.

Maybe it’s better to have a political Stockholm Syndrome and stick to what you know, regardless of the utter shitshow tats happening around you.

Its not for everyone, making a change.

50 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

IMG_1232.jpeg

Depends how you want to define it. The major factors that have hurt us economically are austerity, Brexit, Covid, Truss and war. 3 of those were inflicted on ourselves by the Tory government (Brexit principally).

But the bigger issue is they’ve had no idea how to fix it. Labour have the right ideas but come into office with the country in one of the worst fiscal positions it’s ever experienced. There isn’t any headroom. Spending has been soaring and the investment the economy needs to fix supply is pretty difficult. 

They’ve been considerably more guilty than the last Labour government. 

6 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Depends how you want to define it. The major factors that have hurt us economically are austerity, Brexit, Covid, Truss and war. 3 of those were inflicted on ourselves by the Tory government (Brexit principally).

But the bigger issue is they’ve had no idea how to fix it. Labour have the right ideas but come into office with the country in one of the worst fiscal positions it’s ever experienced. There isn’t any headroom. Spending has been soaring and the investment the economy needs to fix supply is pretty difficult. 

They’ve been considerably more guilty than the last Labour government. 

I’m guessing you didn’t read it. 

1 minute ago, BobyBrno said:

I’m guessing you didn’t read it. 

I read it but the argument is flawed because we haven’t yet recovered from their own errors and much of the problems we have are long term and date back to Brexit and indeed the austerity decisions that preceded it. They’ve managed to stabilise some confidence and bring down inflation - though in doing so have further suppressed growth. And that’s the thing. I don’t think they get credit for it really because the economic disaster is mainly self inflicted. Hunt and Sunak being vaguely competent is welcome. But they haven’t come close to repairing the last 14 years of which Hunt and Sunak were both significant parts of. 

5 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I read it but the argument is flawed because we haven’t yet recovered from their own errors and much of the problems we have are long term and date back to Brexit and indeed the austerity decisions that preceded it. They’ve managed to stabilise some confidence and bring down inflation - though in doing so have further suppressed growth. And that’s the thing. I don’t think they get credit for it really because the economic disaster is mainly self inflicted. Hunt and Sunak being vaguely competent is welcome. But they haven’t come close to repairing the last 14 years of which Hunt and Sunak were both significant parts of. 

If you think it’s flawed, fine. Not sure what your economic qualifications are but Larry Elliott is the economics editor at the Guardian. I’ll take his view  over yours. 👍

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

If you think it’s flawed, fine. Not sure what your economic qualifications are but Larry Elliott is the economics editor at the Guardian. I’ll take his view  over yours. 👍

Larry Eillott indeed

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/we-think-of-britain-as-a-world-beating-economy-we-would-be-better-off-thinking-about-taiwan/

• Site Supporter

Anyway

the Tories and betting

Even as their corpse lies twitching, they still can’t resist one last chance to act like the dodgy, self-serving wankers they’ve shown to be for 14 years.

But still people say “yeah but better the devil you know”

You just can’t help some folk. Fortunately, the electorate is about to put them into their misery.

31 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

I will take a group of the leading economists in the world over a guardian hack….

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/19/labour-is-offering-a-credible-plan-to-address-britains-economic-problems

2 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Well yes. He knows what he’s talking about. 👍

Anyway, the Guardian, JK Rowling and Kier Starmer. Nothing to see here. 😊

Get her on the BBC.

I see in a slightly earlier tweet she is supporting the communist party. Super.

Tsk! Where do I get my information from now? Can’t believe the Guardian Economics Editor now. Where do I go ?

For the record, the Guardian does give space to a wide range of views. Not sure Mr. Elliott would take kindly to being called a Hack. 
Ah well, back to the Mail. 😉

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)

I’m still happy to have a “dull” leader who has a track record of hard work.

No leader will ever be perfect, but it seems most people are fucking sick of “characters”, “mavericks” and “eccentrics” who spend half their time trying to flick cat litter over the shits they keep dropping, rather than just doing a decent days graft.

if you want to get excited about “characters”, there’s fucking loads on reality tv shows. 

It’ll be Starmer who leads us into the next world war, I’d prefer that to a bumbling fucking retard whose only discernible talents were shagging and writing. Likewise, a billionaire gnome who can’t even be bothered hanging around for a D-Day event wouldn’t fill me with confidence.

Edited by Spider

Just now, Spider said:

I’m still happy to have a “dull” leader who has a track record of hard work.

No leader will ever be perfect, but it seems most people are fucking sick of “characters”, “mavericks” and “eccentrics” who spend half their time trying to flick cat litter over the shits they keep dropping, rather than just doing a decent days graft.

if you want to get excited about “characters”, there’s fucking loads on reality tv shows. 

It’ll be Starmer who leads us into the next world war, I’d prefer that to a bumbling fucking retard whose only discernible talents were shagging and writing. Likewise, a billionaire gnome who can’t even be bothered hanging around for a D-Day event I wouldn’t fill me with confidence.

We’re not voting for a president.

33 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Tsk! Where do I get my information from now? Can’t believe the Guardian Economics Editor now. Where do I go ?

For the record, the Guardian does give space to a wide range of views. Not sure Mr. Elliott would take kindly to being called a Hack. 
Ah well, back to the Mail. 😉

Just scan read it... makes sense to me, things were at their all time shittiest low when Ms Truss vacated but then the Tories put the bean-counters in charge and they have made a fist of it and it is looking better, but can the accountants actually lead? They have been easy prey by their lack of real connection.

Starmer does have a settled shadow cabinet and Rachel is as autonomic as her predecessors so  he stands a bloody good chance especially as expectations are so low... he just needs some sparky policies... get the dentists & GPs sorted, food in the tummies of school kids and the housing market on the move again.... job done

18 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'd very much welcome a return to boring competence but I do also wish he'd lighten up a bit

Anyone leading a country needs to show a bit of personality now and then

Blair certainly understood that

His upbringing and background probably explains why he doesn’t. A man who has been taught to hide his feelings and suppress his personality.

Blair was the best politician we’ve probably ever had in this country in terms of campaigning and interviewing etc….