Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Opening Old Wounds

freds dad

• Site Supporter

Ive never been as mad at a match as i was at that. I honestly could have killed Knight given half the chance. The worst refereeing performance ive ever seen.

Same here, many times I've questioned the ability of referees but never the integrity, with the exception of that night. Knight was an absolute disgrace & no-one will ever convince me he wasn't in Sheepshanks pocket.

Same here, many times I've questioned the ability of referees but never the integrity, with the exception of that night. Knight was an absolute disgrace & no-one will ever convince me he wasn't in Sheepshanks pocket.

Abso-fucking-lutely. It's a long enough drive back from Ipswich even without knowing you'd been cheated. Plus nothing ever came back to them for the less than friendly pitch invasion at the end or the PA guy taking the piss. As I've said before, I hope to goodness Knight dies before me so I get the pleasure of urinating on his grave.

• Site Supporter

Abso-fucking-lutely. It's a long enough drive back from Ipswich even without knowing you'd been cheated. Plus nothing ever came back to them for the less than friendly pitch invasion at the end or the PA guy taking the piss. As I've said before, I hope to goodness Knight dies before me so I get the pleasure of urinating on his grave.

I can sense another Stephen Hawking video; one where he and some lads effect some piss laden revenge on said referee.

Possibly the most corrupt performance i've ever seen by a Referee in my lifetime.There should have been an enquiry by the bent FA.

Possibly David Sheepshanks had something to do with that not happening.

Edited by gonzo

Didn't a family member contact him after the event?

No I, sorry they, posted Knight's address on the internet having obtained it through legitimate means

Where I worked at the time I shared a small office with one other person. An Ipswich fan

My patience snapped and felt I had to right the wrong

I'll never accept that the match wasn't corrupt. Always assumed it would come out at some point. Is Sheepshank dead? Guess they will wait till he is and then all say how terrible it was pretending they haven't known for years.

I often talk about that game to my mate who is an Ipswich fan, he was was also at the game. His recollection , and he stands by it, is that he has never seen a worse organised and dirtier team than Bolton Wanderers were that night. He honestly thinks everything is above board, and it was just sour grapes from Bolton fans. He even has a video/recording of the highlights of the match and has said hes happy to watch it with me, in order to show/prove that it was all above board.

I've not taken him up on the offer  :)

Still, it happened fucking years ago, so I'm over being arsed about it. 

• Site Supporter

In fairness, I can see the point in some of the penalties and sendings off to an extent. It's more that corrupt bastard wound up the players to that degree with his dreadful refereeing which got my goat.

I was delighted when injury forced him to retire and not before time. That was quality when he got taken off Bolton V Villa for safety reasons. The man is a cockwomble

In parts we played a part in our own downfall

The penalty Ritchie gave away is inexcusable, can't remember if that was the one that was saved and can't complain about Elliot's sending off though I think we'd lost it at that stage

It was allowing Magilton to be a cunt all day, the Whitlow sending off and the tackle by fish that he gave a penalty for. He set a tone for how he was going to ref to certainly lean towards Ipswich

And had Sheepshanks and co not scrapped the away goal rule we would have been through

Edited by DirtySanchez

I often talk about that game to my mate who is an Ipswich fan, he was was also at the game. His recollection , and he stands by it, is that he has never seen a worse organised and dirtier team than Bolton Wanderers were that night. He honestly thinks everything is above board, and it was just sour grapes from Bolton fans. He even has a video/recording of the highlights of the match and has said hes happy to watch it with me, in order to show/prove that it was all above board.

I've not taken him up on the offer  :)

Still, it happened fucking years ago, so I'm over being arsed about it. 

I don't think a highlights video would tell the whole story of all the decisions that went against us  ( & probably played a part in our loss of discipline as it went on )