Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Ashes

L/H White

Hit 45 deg today at the SCG. Incredible that both sets of players survived the day.

England just about made a fifth day!

I read it got to 57.4; strewth!

And I think I noticed you on Friday night, didn't know you were back!

England just about made a fifth day!

I read it got to 57.4; strewth!

And I think I noticed you on Friday night, didn't know you were back!

I’m still in Sydney. Not looking forward to going home but I’ll be back by the end of the week.

You would have experienced the inferno then?

One extreme to the other weather wise if you are off home soon.

Yep. It was pretty extreme. Not something I’d experienced before. We managed about 10 min. sat in the sun (full sunscreen applied) before we went in the shade along with 99% of both English and Aussie fans. I said yesterday that I couldn’t believe the players could play in those conditions. I think Joe Root spent more minutes on the pitch yesterday than any other player so it was understandable that he would be affected.

The good news is that people can forget cricket exists for another couple of years, until they come over here again

correct. i only watch the ashes and the world cup

Cunts didn't even have the decency to lose 5-0, so I could win a shitload of cash.

set of cunts mate

Edited by L/H White

No matter how bad results are, things are not as bad as they seem.

No matter how good results are, things are never as good as they seem.

This applies across all sports.

Remember superstar rugby union player Jonny Wilkinson?

His international debut was in Australia in June 1998.

I have a particular reason to remember that, as very early the next day I led a group to a meeting in London with a company we had recently merged with. It turned out that that their equivalent team to mine was largely staffed by Aussie (and South African) graduates in Maths or Economics spending two years in Europe - one working all the hours they could on their parallel project, followed by one touring Europe on the proceeds. We caught the early train to be in Euston before 9am. When we got to their office there was a large board for the result of the match. 

It read ENGLAND 0 - scorers: none

AUSTRALIA 76 - scorers: too many to mention.

From there it was onwards and upwards for JW and friends, culminating in Australia 5 years later.

• Moderators

Even better without that quota woman

There's hardly a commentator these days who hasn't played the game but we cop for her

Doubt a bloke who hadn't played would get the gig

She offers nowt - wouldn't mind if it was isha guha who at least knows her stufv

And Vaughan

Fcuk me, what do they put in that yorkshire tea

• Site Supporter

Even better without that quota woman

There's hardly a commentator these days who hasn't played the game but we cop for her

Doubt a bloke who hadn't played would get the gig

She offers nowt - wouldn't mind if it was isha guha who at least knows her stufv

And Vaughan

Fcuk me, what do they put in that yorkshire tea

I'm finding Vaughan a little weird. Sometimes talks absolute sense then goes controversial.

Our bowling attack is cat piss, we have no firer power, Curren, not good enough YET.

Should have taken Plunkett, bar Stokes he's most aggressive bowler we have, Look at Tremlett a few years ago is Oz, he was mustard.

I can't see us winning a test, although it wont' be five nil, could easily be 3 or 4.

ST,

Cricket Correspondent

Heading back home now after a fantastic 2+ weeks. Finally knocked the Ashes in Aus. off my bucket list after I first thought about it 50 years ago. (I’ve also added a few on to it) Anyone thinking of doing it in 4 years time, do it. It’ll be worth it.