Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

What Away Fans Must Have Thought Landing At Bolton In The 70S.

leigh white

• Members

Must admit that by the time I started going regularly in 73-74 it had become

Fuck em all, fuck em all,

The Chelsea the Spurs and Millwall

We'll never be mastered by no Cockney Bastard

So come on you whites fuck em all.

You can trust me Micky, slightly (ahem) before that, the lyrics were as per my post. The skinhead era ushered in the changes to lyrics!

• Members

My old fellas mate used to run the Rose Hill in late 70’s and early 80’s, for an afternoon of paid ale, he used do “ match day security” in there, which was basically helping him keep trouble down to a minimum. He has loads of tales he told me in my older years, but for a man who doesn’t really take that much interest in football as such, and for all the stories of various teams fans and trouble they caused/ got in to, he absolutely detests Nottingham Forest and by default, people from Nottingham, won’t say why, even though he’s told me things that happened in that pub that are pretty bad, ( from a graphic description point of view ) but just says Nottingham are pure filth and still to this day hopes they lose everytime he sees their name and goes off about what a set of filth scumbags they are.

Not sure why, but does anyone else have any recollection of them doing anything particular bad round there in those days?

The only real set to I remember with them was at their place. We threw a couple off that bridge into the River Trent and that put an end to it.

• Moderators

Fuck em all, fuck em all,

The long and the short and the tall,

Fuck Huddersfield Town and their beautiful blondes,

Fuck Preston North End and their bleedin' songs

Cos we're saying goodbye to them all,

The long and the short and the tall,

Cos we've got a notion that we'll get promotion

So come on the lads - fuck em all.

Reads like a song from Lord of the rings

• Members

Surely not?

You mustn't have got the memo

It was the golden era back then, the country has gone to the dogs since

You need to adjust your chronometer pal. The 60's were the golden era. The 70's totally different with commies holding the country to ransom by putting us all in the cold and dark every fucking winter

This, with garbage piled high on the streets made it anything but a golden era.

You need to adjust your chronometer pal. The 60's were the golden era. The 70's totally different with commies holding the country to ransom by putting us all in the cold and dark every fucking winter

This, with garbage piled high on the streets made it anything but a golden era.

We call it rubbish here pal.

Well when I were a lad we used to go down pit work a 16 hr shift & get battered by our dad when we got tut surface.

Our main meal was soot & tree bark washed down with goats piss.

fucking sixties you can shove em.

ps Derby & Boro away made Bolton look like Chelmsford.

You can add Sunderland to that, friggin hated Roker Park

The only real set to I remember with them was at their place. We threw a couple off that bridge into the River Trent and that put an end to it.

We played them late sixties lost 2-4 .Bolton fans sneaked in early & painted the goalposts black & white , we got smacked big-time after the game although Syd Farrimond scored the coolest own goal ever .

Edited by Take Hunt Off

The best set of supporters to talk to about Bolton/Burnden in the 70s are Blackpool. You get a mixture of hatred and them being a bit awe-struck. The unfortunate events of 1974 are clearly behind most of it. 

My memories of following BWFC only really start in 1977/78 and I don't remember them bringing many to Burnden that season. But speak to Blackpool fans of a certain vintage about that season's Bloomfield Road fixture over Christmas and they'll reluctantly tell you about virtually half of the 25,000 gate being from Bolton and it being a day they had to have eyes in the backs of their heads. That was actually the last time we won there!

I've been given the impression that Blackpool always turned up at Burnden and fronted it despite regularly taking a battering. Until we started playing them regularly again in 2010 they were scared shitless of Bolton. All means nothing to the younger generation of support for either club of course. You need to remember the 70s.

Edited by paulhanley

• Site Supporter

Your spot on about Blackpool in the fixture at Burnden prior to that bad incident which I saw happen at the back of thier kop they brought a decent mob and came on the Great Lever End they got a good kicking mind .The lad who lost his life was called Kevin Olson I think,and he was with their lot at Burnden .

I've been given the impression that Blackpool always turned up at Burnden and fronted it despite regularly taking a battering. Until we started playing them regularly again in 2010 they were scared shitless of Bolton. All means nothing to the younger generation of support for either club of course. You need to remember the 70s.

During the late 70's period, no N West town teams' fans would show themselves at Bolton, it was too rough for them & it's comical to see the likes of Burnley, B/burn , Preston, etc, being heroic nowadays.

Blackpool were the one exception & turned up twice.......1st time they attacked The (almost empty ) Painters very early & played up a bit on Manny Rd, & 2nd time they went on the Lever End very early & hoped that the police would protect them but when Bolton fans came in they got smashed all over & the last 30 or so ended up trapped against the Burnden terrace fence where one of them got flattened by a frisbeed heavy wooden toilet seat !!  Both times Blackpool were long gone before the end of the game.

We played them late sixties lost 2-4 .Bolton fans sneaked in early & painted the goalposts black & white , we got smacked big-time after the game although Syd Farrimond scored the coolest own goal ever .

That was in the cup; remember getting off the coaches and a mob of Forest come round singing 1,2,3,4,5  if you want to stay alive, stay over this side. Was about 15. Always hated them cunts but TBH there are not many other clubs I dont hate

Tbh wasn't really into the 'aggro' thing although if you travelled away anytime from the late sixties you had no choice as the opposition would attack at every opportunity.I even perfected a fake cockney accent to answer the leading question 'ere mate have you got the time?

Local away games were usually a breeze due to numbers although Burnley away late seventies was memorable with a mass brawl on a bowling green

Bowls were hurled across from one side to the other.