Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

What Away Fans Must Have Thought Landing At Bolton In The 70S.

leigh white

• Members

Your spot on about Blackpool in the fixture at Burnden prior to that bad incident which I saw happen at the back of thier kop they brought a decent mob and came on the Great Lever End they got a good kicking mind .The lad who lost his life was called Kevin Olson I think,and he was with their lot at Burnden .

Funnily enough C, Kevin Olssons best mate is in our scooter club down here and is mate of mine. He reckons he broke the lads fall as he went down by trying to catch him as he fell. No idea if this is true or not as I didn't see the incident.

• Members

During the late 70's period, no N West town teams' fans would show themselves at Bolton, it was too rough for them & it's comical to see the likes of Burnley, B/burn , Preston, etc, being heroic nowadays.

Blackpool were the one exception & turned up twice.......1st time they attacked The (almost empty ) Painters very early & played up a bit on Manny Rd, & 2nd time they went on the Lever End very early & hoped that the police would protect them but when Bolton fans came in they got smashed all over & the last 30 or so ended up trapped against the Burnden terrace fence where one of them got flattened by a frisbeed heavy wooden toilet seat !!  Both times Blackpool were long gone before the end of the game.

I remember the toilet seat but thought it was against Villa? Similar deal - we had them up against the same fence and I lifted a pork pie hat off this big, rough looking skin (it was just an impulse thing as he ran for his life past me towards his mates against the fence). He rushed to a copper and said words to the effect of 'please sir, that nasty Bolton fan stole me hat'. Copper made me give it back to him  : :lol::

Funny at the time as the copper was involved in this crap and all hell was kicking off all around including a heavy wooden toilet seat nearly decapitating one of them against the fence. Maybe the same bloke had perfected this particular move  :D

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter

Yes mate I saw it happen it was mad really massive police presence segregating us from them on thier kop and then at half time you could go where you wanted at the back of the terrace. It was during a bit of a stand off in proceedings that the kid well known lad darted forward and stabbed him brought it home to me as a 17 year how futile all that shit was a punch up was one thing but this wasn't good .Was planningon staying in Blackpool and going to the Mecca but the atmosphere understandably wasn't good so got home which wasn't easy police everywhere a grim day a long time ago .

• Site Supporter

At the same match P a mate from B/met KT who travelled down under with your kid grabbed the cash bag from the turnstile guy as he was taking it to be weighed in he bolted up those steep steps into the crowd but the police got him we'd have had some night in the Mecca with that .

Yes mate I saw it happen it was mad really massive police presence segregating us from them on thier kop and then at half time you could go where you wanted at the back of the terrace. It was during a bit of a stand off in proceedings that the kid well known lad darted forward and stabbed him brought it home to me as a 17 year how futile all that shit was a punch up was one thing but this wasn't good .Was planningon staying in Blackpool and going to the Mecca but the atmosphere understandably wasn't good so got home which wasn't easy police everywhere a grim day a long time ago .

The Bolton kid was cleared due to "lack of evidence" iirc

He became a pupil at our school after the court case, he hung around in our circle but he never once mentioned the incident and kept his nose clean despite a lot of provocation,plenty of lads wanted to have a pop at him. He was a nice enough lad to be honest

Edited by Burndens Bogs

I remember the toilet seat but thought it was against Villa? Similar deal - we had them up against the same fence and I lifted a pork pie hat off this big, rough looking skin (it was just an impulse thing as he ran for his life past me towards his mates against the fence). He rushed to a copper and said words to the effect of 'please sir, that nasty Bolton fan stole me hat'. Copper made me give it back to him  : : :lol:::

Funny at the time as the copper was involved in this crap and all hell was kicking off all around including a heavy wooden toilet seat nearly decapitating one of them against the fence. Maybe the same bloke had perfected this particular move  :D

Definitely against Blackpool because most people knew who launched it ( you'd know him too ) & oddly enough I got to slightly know the B/pool fan who got flattened.......he was related to one of the Bolton lads & came along with him to one or two Bolton games the following season... amongst the group that included the lad who had thrown the seat !!!

To complete the circle, the Bolton fan related to the B/pool fan moved to Blackpool later.

• Members

At the same match P a mate from B/met KT who travelled down under with your kid grabbed the cash bag from the turnstile guy as he was taking it to be weighed in he bolted up those steep steps into the crowd but the police got him we'd have had some night in the Mecca with that .

Hahahaha............well he now lives in the Perth Hills not far from me  and the next time I see him I will remind him of this one! He played in the same football club as me down here for a short while before heading off on some 'round Australia tour'. Ended up settling back over here in the West.

Like yourself, this shit was a step too far for me. Battling on the terraces or elsewhere - fair enough. Never held with weapons being used.

At the time, the rumours sort of spread through the crowd but it was all a bit vague as to what had actually happened. Took fucking ages to get out of Blackpool as the coppers were filtering all vehicles through a big pub car park and searching for a 'dark skinned lad' according to the copper who searched our car.

I only found out names and details a few days later. 

• Members

Definitely against Blackpool because most people knew who launched it ( you'd know him too ) & oddly enough I got to slightly know the B/pool fan who got flattened.......he was related to one of the Bolton lads & came along with him to one or two Bolton games the following season... amongst the group that included the lad who had thrown the seat !!!

To complete the circle, the Bolton fan related to the B/pool fan moved to Blackpool later.

:D  Fuck me, there's a potential film script there!

Definitely happened against Villa too unless the cider has finally taken it's toll! Wonder if it was the same chucker!?.

• Members

The Bolton kid was cleared due to "lack of evidence" iirc

He became a pupil at our school after the court case, he hung around in our circle but he never once mentioned the incident and kept his nose clean despite a lot of provocation,plenty of lads wanted to have a pop at him. He was a nice enough lad to be honest

I was going to mention an incident at the Golden Fleece which is sort of connected but, on thinking about it further, better not to comment.

Mid to late 70's away at Blackpool we went on a mini bus from the Vic on COR, just set off after the game and a fella was in front of us on his push bike with a orange and white scarf round his neck, as we pulled along side him 1 of our lot said to the driver "slow down" slid open the side door and booted the cunt right off his chopper, it was funny as fuck

Those were the days

• Site Supporter

To be honest a lot of chants from the seventies sound a bit gay now

Over there, over there,

and do they smell? Like fucking hell!

Did we really hurl such abuse back and forth across the terraces?

• Site Supporter

Mid to late 70's away at Blackpool we went on a mini bus from the Vic on COR, just set off after the game and a fella was in front of us on his push bike with a orange and white scarf round his neck, as we pulled along side him 1 of our lot said to the driver "slow down" slid open the side door and booted the cunt right off his chopper, it was funny as fuck

Those were the days

And tonight; Surprise Surprise, here's that man. It's the first time you've met since that fateful night he was paralysed from the neck down...

" you'll never reach the station,

you'll never reach the station "

and even if you do,

it'll almost certainly be a rail replacement bus service,

that'll make the journey to your final destination a thoroughly miserable experience,

you bastards.

Admittedly "a....g.....a g r .....a g r o - aggro!" sounds crap now.

"You're going to get your fucking heads kicked in" would, however, still posses some aesthetic resonance and animalistic terror.

Or summat.

Am I alone in going "Hssssssss...." when the ball lands down from some hastily hoofed clearance that almost hit the roof?

Edited by SatanGreavsie