Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bwfc Press Photos

Walkden White

Just noticed that there are quote a few old press photos on ebay featuring Bolton games going back over the years. They have the press cutting attached to the back which makes it interesting.

They are only a few quid.

just bought the one below as it brought back some great memories and thought it was a good action shot.

As well as Alan Gowling it has Colin Todd and if I'm not mistaken Roy McFarland in the photo as well!

post-7332-0-88195000-1512390246.jpg

Just noticed that there are quote a few old press photos on ebay featuring Bolton games going back over the years. They have the press cutting attached to the back which makes it interesting.

They are only a few quid.

just bought the one below as it brought back some great memories and thought it was a good action shot.

As well as Alan Gowling it has Colin Todd and if I'm not mistaken Roy McFarland in the photo as well!

I have a few of these originals came from a lad on our street who worked at the news paper offices in Manchester on work experience in the late 70s. 

Yes Freddie Hill is God ,I know his sons his eldest looks just like him in photo would have thought slightly later than 58 for Fred and Syd Farrimond to be around ?

A quick Wiki tells me Freddie Hill joined us in 1957 and Syd Farrimond in 1958.

I'm inclined to agree with you though and think the photo is probably from a year or 2 later.

Funny what you say about Freddie Hills lad, i went to school with Roy Hartles son Russell and they are absolute spits of each other when Russ was in his 20's.

• Members

Sorry about that fucking tablet thing drives me mad

Hahahaha........bloody hell C, thought the needle was stuck  ;)

Always remember well after his retirement, I was doing some 'ornithological' studies up around Harwood (at the back of BCGS). Freddie was living in a street at the bottom end of Stitch-Mi-Lane opposite th'owd St. Anne's School. I was still in awe of him even then. Funny how a Warby's banner can have such a lasting effect on a young and impressionable mind.

A graceful mover even when mowing his lawn!

A quick Wiki tells me Freddie Hill joined us in 1957 and Syd Farrimond in 1958.

I'm inclined to agree with you though and think the photo is probably from a year or 2 later.

Funny what you say about Freddie Hills lad, i went to school with Roy Hartles son Russell and they are absolute spits of each other when Russ was in his 20's.

Went to school with Freddie lads and worked with Tommy Banks's lads.

• Members

That'll be Lee, crackers that bloke!

The very fellow! Farnworth Social Circle racing trip. 

He'd done his money apart from a ten spot when we got to the last race and I gave him a 6-1 winner to save his day (I can even remember the horse and trainer - Mill Queen, Frankie Durr). Meant he had more cash to get even further bladdered that night in Oldham - our stopping point on the way back.

As you say, crackers - but a beltin' lad  :D

Edited by bolty58

The very fellow! Farnworth Social Circle racing trip. 

He'd done his money apart from a ten spot when we got to the last race and I gave him a 6-1 winner to save his day (I can even remember the horse and trainer - Mill Queen, Frankie Durr). Meant he had more cash to get even further bladdered that night in Oldham - our stopping point on the way back.

As you say, crackers - but a beltin' lad  :D

Bolty, what year roughly would that have been?

• Members

Bolty, what year roughly would that have been?

Early to mid 80's mate. I know this because the sprinting champ below got nutted by a one eyed pregnant mare called Carriage Way on the day we were at York and it was a bit of a sensation at the time as Soba was considered almost unbeatable. This is where most of the lads did their money but I employed the "odds on, look on" rule and kept my powder dry waiting for my 'nap' in the last.

If you knew the Farnworth Social Circle crowd, the trip was organised by Big Bob and Jimmy M (Jimmy's brother was their wicket keeper and was my mate which is how I ended up on the trip. Same lad came to live in Perth for a while but missed FSC so much he came back home).

Edited by bolty58