Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Toronto

Walkden26

Also does it not also come down to how fans of RU and RL view the sport?

RU fans seem more interested in the national game, I know quite a few fans who are really into the 6 nations etc but probably know absolutely nothing about how Northampton are doing

Conversely RL fans are more into supporting the club team and have less interest in the international games

If you have a sport embedded in the national side then it follows that attendances, interest is going to be higher

1 hour ago, frank_spencer said:

We talking Rugby 'oppression of the working classes' Union or Rugby 'northern bigotry' League? 

I don't discriminate. It's all a bit poo. My owd fella is one of them all rounder types and tried getting us in to all of it. 

Always disliked cricket more but think rugby is worse these days. 

• Members

We've been over this so many times. Basically RL is 3 counties in England and two Australian states. 

Yes, token pockets in France, PNG and Canada but there's a reason it hasn't caught on. The public vote with their feet.

My personal beef is the 6 tackle stop-start stuff. I will always acknowledge that RL is a fucking hard game for tough men and for that it commands respect.

Stoppages in RU are much more of an event - line outs, proper scrums instead of the farcical nature of same in RL. Just all round RU is a much greater spectacle and that's why you get the big crowds in the 6 Nations etc.

I can already sense the RL mob rushing to their keyboards to ask the question 'where are the crowds in club RU?'  Not the point is it? There is absolutely no comparison between the two with whatever measuring device you wish to use. 

4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

We've been over this so many times. Basically RL is 3 counties in England and two Australian states.

Every Rugby League World Cup Final has been won by either Australia, New Zealand or Great Britain.
Every Rugby Union World Cup has been won by either Australia, New Zealand, England or South Africa

Wales have lost 2 semi finals at both codes and never got any further.
Ireland have never won a quarter final at either tournament
France have lost 2 rugby league finals and 3 rugby union finals

So basically Rugby union has South Africa as one extra major power

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:
Every Rugby League World Cup Final has been won by either Australia, New Zealand or Great Britain.
Every Rugby Union World Cup has been won by either Australia, New Zealand, England or South Africa

Wales have lost 2 semi finals at both codes and never got any further.
Ireland have never won a quarter final at either tournament
France have lost 2 rugby league finals and 3 rugby union finals

So basically Rugby union has South Africa as one extra major power

How many countries have won the football world cup

• Members
15 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

^ What about Aussie rules?

Struggling to understand the context as we are discussing rugby codes but. as you have asked...............

Basically, it's fucking shit. Once again a hard game for tough buggers but, it was developed as a way to find uses for cricket ovals during winter months and is a melange of rugby, gaelic football and fuck knows what else. Similar to RL, it's power base is very localised (in the state Victoria where the AFL was previously known as the VFL) and they have managed to establish two clubs in Queensland, WA, SA and NSW to make it a 'national' sport.

You get a point for missing, can manhandle and rough up some fucker before the game's even started and if you happen to touch an umpire in any way (can be a complete accident) you are on a charge and a suspension.

Once again, there is a reason this game has not spread anywhere else. They have tried with exhibition games in London and the US. Basically just attended by ex-pat roo botherers.

Edited by bolty58
spelling

We get AFL games here Bolty. For someone who doesn't fully get the game tactically and tbh all the rules, I'm looking for tight competitive matches.  My main criticism is that this rarely seems to happen. 

Honourable exception being the Grand Final last week, fantastic tension and could have gone either way right till he end.

When it's played well, can be a great spectacle. Other times, like a playground scrap.

It does seem to be evolving too, all the fucking bruisers seem extinct these days being replaced by proper athletes. Plus that American guy who plays for Collingwood, NBA reject who has a slight advantage competing for marks when nearly 7ft tall. 

• Members

All fair points R and yes, the GF was interesting because it went right to the wire. Sadly, the evolution, like almost all sports being sanitised these days, means the blood and guts battling has been taken from the game. It was better when they really got stuck in.

Most games are blowouts and the close ones can be gripping - I do concede that. As for the marketability of the game internationally, about as much chance as ice station tiddlywinks.

• Members

Aye, the local WAFL competition over here often has very low crowds in the low hundreds comprising some old diehards who won't accept the old VFL masquerading as a national competition; relatives of the players and the odd US tourist thinking that some favourite US breakfast was being served with maple syrup.

Yes, West Coast winning certainly gave the state of WA a lift apart from the Fremantle Dorkers supporters who despise the Eagles and their four national championships.

• 9 months later...
6 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Off to Toronto in September but it's a flying 3 day visit before we fly to NYC so have booked the usual Niagara trip but any restaurant recommendations in Toronto itself?

Dennys in Niagara!!!