Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wanderers 1-0 Aston Villa

globaldiver

I'd sign Burke and Robinson in a heartbeat. I'd be surprised if they were available at prices we could afford.

David Wheater has been brilliant for Bolton and I've been his biggest fan. I'd only offer him a one year deal though due to his fitness record. Beevers good enough for the Championship level but no better. Dervite suffered in our relegation team and seems a confidence player. 

I'd sign Burke and Robinson in a heartbeat. I'd be surprised if they were available at prices we could afford.

David Wheater has been brilliant for Bolton and I've been his biggest fan. I'd only offer him a one year deal though due to his fitness record. Beevers good enough for the Championship level but no better. Dervite suffered in our relegation team and seems a confidence player. 

Some big ‘criticism’ here for a lad that is playing his 1st ever season of 1st team football.

I can understand people thinking he’s not that great at the moment, I still think he shows moments of being very good and fairly poor within each match, but there’s surely no doubt that he’s improved a lot over the season?

As for people saying he’s just an athlete, most people said that about Kyle Walker for the 1st 5 years of his career, me included, but look at him now (and that’s not me comparing the 2, it’s just a point to note that Walker has moved from just being an athlete to possibly one of the best right backs/wing backs in the world).

I’m not massively fussed either way but if we did have a chance to get him for either free or a small fee I think he’d be a solid addition that has potential to become a decent player that could command a half decent fee for us in the future.

As for Burke - he’s a class act and I would snap West Ham’s hands off if we could afford to buy him in the summer. I’d be very happy if him and Wheater were our centre back partnership next year.

Spot on, agree completely on both players.

Wheater has had an outstanding season for me.

Struggled against PNE (they all did), and was appalling for the opening ten against Fulham (was superb for the rest of the game), but I actually reckon he’s had his best season in a white shirt at this level or higher. Been my man of the match for several home games.

He’d be in ahead of Beevers if he was left footed for sure.

Burke and Flanagan; I think they’re easily capable of forging premier league careers. Robinson, while more of an athlete than a footballer, has the potential to make a perfectly fine modern day full back too. I’d be happy to see any one of the three back next season.