Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Games You've Attended As A Neutral

L/H White

I had never been to Wembley and wanted to visit before it was demolished in 2000. The plan was to watch Bolton in the playoff final that year but that didn't pan out, so got a ticket for the Wigan-Gillingham division 2 final. The Gills won 3-2 in the end. 

I went down on the Wigan official coach travel and on the way back (driving past Walsalls Bescot stadium) an owd fella sat next to me asked if I would be visiting there next season. I replied no as I am a Wanderers fan and we are in a higher league. Needless to say we didn't speak again 😁

Watched hearts of oaks a few times, went to blackburn v forest when port vale match was postponed few years back, turned round on the motoway, watched Roma and then seen loads of non league games. Seen cambridge a few times with my mate who supported them when they were non league.. scares the shit out of me now that we're going that way.

Went to Roma vs Lazio in the Olimpico in 2001 - me and my old man went for my 18th cos I was properly mad into Italian football at the time. Was a brilliant experience. Turned up about 3-4 hrs ahead of kickoff and there must've been 60k on already.

Some brilliant names played that day, Batistuta, Nedved, Totti, Nesta, Delvecchio etc.

Was 2-2, with Roma going two up before Lazio got two in the dying minutes to equalise. Never seen anything like it.

Edited by Kane57

5 minutes ago, Ghana White said:

Was less then half full when I watched them and still one of the beat atmospheres I've seen at a match 

Same, went to Rome derby last year and attendance was disappointingly only around 55k, yet it's the only game I've ever come away with a headache from.

Kolarov smashed a free kick in it went berserk.

WIGAN v Arsenal (watching my cousin)

Tranmere v CARLISLE (Cousin)

Middlesbrough v BARROW (Cousin)

ACCRINGTON v Stevenage (Cousin)

Athletico Madrid v Leganes

Kyoto Sanga v Tokushima Vortis

St Pauli v Aue

Salernitana v Livorno

Had a great time at Salernitana yesterday. Easy enough to get tickets behind the goal with the Ultras, no mither. Top afternoon.

Edited by tshape

1 hour ago, tshape said:

WIGAN v Arsenal (watching my cousin)

Tranmere v CARLISLE (Cousin)

Middlesbrough v BARROW (Cousin)

ACCRINGTON v Stevenage (Cousin)

Athletico Madrid v Leganes

Kyoto Sanga v Tokushima Vortis

St Pauli v Aue

Salernitana v Livorno

Had a great time at Salernitana yesterday. Easy enough to get tickets behind the goal with the Ultras, no mither. Top afternoon.

Was your Cousin, Luke Joyce ?

9 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Saw him in Asda Leigh last week in his Port Vale tracksuit. Was in the same school year so used to play against him when he was at Hindsford as a kid and at St Mary’s. 

Only ever seen him play against us int reserves at Robin Park. Port Vale will probably go up in the play offs or sumert so it might never happen properly.

I did a weekend in Stockholm where all three teams were playing over two days, AIK at home and then Hammarby v Djurgarden derby.

Football was beyond dreadful but did I care? Atmosphere unbelievable, people were incredible, chants inventive and the whole stadium's up for it. I'd do it again no doubt if it didn't cost about £17 for a beer. 

The derby might have been the best game I've ever been to, all sorts of drama, pyro everywhere, ridiculous comeback, away fans had the game postponed for half an hour, some random Brazilian grabbed a hat trick even though he was gash. Top weekend. 

Even saw the fabled Chinedu Obasi bag for AIK. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqdGZXi4Kxs

• Members
On 24/02/2020 at 20:52, tshape said:

Salernitana v Livorno

Nice one mate. Top town is Salerno. Did you get tickets at the stadium or one of the supporters club bars?

8 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Nice one mate. Top town is Salerno. Did you get tickets at the stadium or one of the supporters club bars?

Got em at the stadium. Only had time for a quick drink near the station in Salerno coz the train from Naples was delayed. Looked like it's worth a proper visit though. Had a great time overall. I know Naples gets knocked by a lot of people but we loved it, loads of character, mental in parts but a proper City.

• Members

I love the area - even with its obvious dangers. Napoli is one thing but once you get outside it, a lot less to worry about.

Salerno is the gateway to the Amalfi coast. Spectacular along there right from Vietri all the way to Positano and beyond.

Driven it in a drop top Alfa Romeo Spider but one day hope to on a vintage Vespa or Lambretta.

Sounds an 'out of left field' thing to say but the lemons from that area are beyond anything else I have ever tasted and I think of them any time I think of the area. You can just pick them most of the way along that stretch. You may have noticed Granita di Limone and Spruzzata di Limone round and about? Amazing flavour (fuck me, I'm turning into Keith Floyd......hic).

Anyway, glad you had a good un with the Salernitana Ultra's :good:

Arsenal v Chelsea - Charity Shield 2005, was the day England beat Australia at Edgebaston - Harmison gloving off Kaprowicz - managed to find a walkabout to watch it in with the mrs - place went beserk........footy was a bit of anti climax after...

Fulham v Leigh RMI - 1998..... brill day out - mixture of city / utd / wandrers and egg chasers in the Leigh end - Dave Felgate looked like he'd just arrived from outer space. Top Performance!

2 hours ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Fulham v Leigh RMI - 1998..... brill day out - mixture of city / utd / wandrers and egg chasers in the Leigh end - Dave Felgate looked like he'd just arrived from outer space. Top Performance!

I played in the half time game that day. And missed a penalty. Whoops. Was a ball boy for the replay as well. 

Chelsea v Liverpool when Houllier was Liverpool manager 

Midweek match so 7.45 kick off or whatever 

Mate is a Liverpool fan and has spare ticket. Plus we meet up with two London city broker types who my mate knows for a few beers around lunch in their local pub

They go back to work after about a three hour liquid lunch and say we can put our drinks on their tab. First thing I did was come back from the bar with two bottles of wine

Match was shite and I fell asleep 

• Moderators
16 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Chelsea v Liverpool when Houllier was Liverpool manager 

Midweek match so 7.45 kick off or whatever 

Mate is a Liverpool fan and has spare ticket. Plus we meet up with two London city broker types who my mate knows for a few beers around lunch in their local pub

They go back to work after about a three hour liquid lunch and say we can put our drinks on their tab. First thing I did was come back from the bar with two bottles of wine

Match was shite and I fell asleep 

that wasn't related to the quality of the match though

18 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I played in the half time game that day. And missed a penalty. Whoops. Was a ball boy for the replay as well. 

The replay was a bit of an anti climax really, I think I read Fulham had to park their coach quite a distance away from the Stadium due to all the narrow roads around Hilton Park!