Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

21 Today

miamiwhite

There was something about the atomosphere, from the pre-walk up to the ground, the smells, the scenes, the buzz inside, the rank awful bogs smelling of bleach and piss, and the proximity to the pitch that all combined to just make it magic. 

If I could go back there for a big evening game, just once, I'd sell everything I had to do it. 

Remember seeing a bloke walking up Manny Rd after the game with a wooden toilet seat around his neck, the fucker must be dead now from the diseases that must have been living on that

A Blackpool fan got hit a bit higher up than his neck, with a wooden toilet seat......but that's a different story :whistle:

Once they started knocking it down I went and got a brick from the corner of the paddock I always stood. Had plans to get it mounted on a plinth with an engraving. Sat in my shed for years and got lost in one of my many house moves

I’ve got 2; you can have one

The place was a sit hole but it was our shit hole

Remember seeing a bloke walking up Manny Rd after the game with a wooden toilet seat around his neck, the fucker must be dead now from the diseases that must have been living on that

Me and my mate ended up with one each, tried flogging them outside

• Site Supporter

Watched it in the student union bar as was at uni at the time

My mate, who is a sheff weds fan, decided he'd get in the spirit and wear a Bolton shirt

He later smacked a Wigan fan for calling him a Bolton cunt

Well, you'd have to.

Always something special walking down the back of the Lever End to the Burnden stand. Great night, loved Burnden even though it was a dump

I did the same walk on Wednesday picking my car up from the Mot station, felt a bit sad and nostagic.

Being an old fcuker i spent many more years watching us at Burnden than i have at the Reebok/Mac - the memories of that place i hope i never forget.

21 years, blimey! 

I wasn't even 21 then but the 21 years since have gone a hell of a lot quicker than the ones before it did!

i'll always remember my dad, ever keen to get off, marching us past the Greyhound track when it was open on a night game.  Always looked a bit seedy and therefore intriguing . . .

Missed an important goal once and didn't stop skrikin for about an hour.  Poor Dad :)

Weird feeling that last game - like the last night of a holiday.

Edited by madthatter

My 26th Birthday and my mum and sister got a birthday message read out at half time, I was part embarrassed (as got loads of stick from the lads), but also proud as I was the last birthday announcment at Burnden

On the Wanderers official video of the last game at Burnden, the closing scene of a Wanderer stood on the terrace (Manny Road North ... where the super fans watched) is only1stig (handsome chap, denim shirt, scarf round neck). Been told numerous times about it but can't find it on t'internet.

And then an evening round Bolton and a quick word with SJM (not WW poster) in some nightclub to say "thanks". Followed by shenanigans in a curry house on Chorley Old Road. "If Carlsberg did last games at a proper football ground ...".

A day and evening to never forget until the grey matter goes.

Wasn't there. Absolutely gutted

Remember the previous autumn time being told that the annual Spring four-day piss-up sales conference was in Paphos and being really fucking giddy all the way leading up to it until I realised that my flight back landed at about kick-off time on that date...........

I did the same walk on Wednesday picking my car up from the Mot station, felt a bit sad and nostagic.

Being an old fcuker i spent many more years watching us at Burnden than i have at the Reebok/Mac - the memories of that place i hope i never forget.

That set me thinking. I watched us at Burnden over 21 seasons. I can't believe in my time as a fan, next year I'll have been going to the Reebok longer

Did 26 at Burnden

Burnden vs Reebok/Macron?

Burnden

For - atmosphere/young and giddy/proper football/prices

Against - absolute shithole in later years/Normid/away fans in the Burnden Paddock

Reebok/Macron

For - European games/Prem success/able to take two young daughters cheaply and safely on season tickets and get them to be avid BWFC supporters

Against - atmosphere/prices/no butter on hot dogs

Lost count of the number of times BWFC have been in a dream in last 20 years and the scene us always BWFC, never has it been the new ground. It's always disappointing to wake up to the realisation that we'll never gather there again, i'd love my (grown up) kids to experience it just once.