Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gareth Williams

DomRepWanderer

As an Old Git as a young kid  I remember Gareth running a sports shop on Churchgate used to hang around outside to see if he turned up !

Used to buy my Subueto stuff from him was a bit of  hard cae if the memory is correct ! Remember the game at home to Oxford think first game of season when he scored. Probably 68/69 ?? 

He also had a shop in Little Hulton. Waiting for a bus one day next to the Dun Mare on our way into Bolton for the train to Blackburn away and a van pulled up. “Want a lift lads”? It was Gareth. Took us into town and then we watched him play in the match that we won 3-2.

Bought my first pair of adidas trainers from his shop in Bolton in 69.

RIP Mr. Williams.

Fine player mobile looked like a panzer tank commander who didnt need a tank & reasonable scoring record. On his day great to watch maybe just did'nt take it all that seriously as it all went pear shaped after a couple of seasons.Could have been a build up of injury problems.

RIP Gareth.

Edited by Take Hunt Off

OAP,s thread is this, have you all purchased your funeral plan ?

anyway R.I.P.

Must say it’s nice to see some of our senior posters sharing their memories. Keep it up old beans I for one love hearing about the pre 74 era before I started going. Edited by Mounts Kipper

The keynote of Gareth was what we used to call the bull run. Got the ball about 20 yards outside the penalty area and just ran in a straight line with it. Anyone who tried to tackle him just bounced off him. Remember him scoring at Preston? just like that.

• Members

One of my heroes. Think we signed him from Cardiff? He and Terry Wharton were big investments for us which was supposed to signal the new era but didn't.

Remember his debut (at least I think it was) - pretty sure it was home v. Norwich? Absolutely bucketing down and the ball was aquaplaning. He set off on one of his direct runs straight towards us in the Lever End and let fly from about 25 yards out. Ball aquaplaned/skimmed and nearly ripped the net open as it beat the keeper all ends up.

Used to frequent his sports shop. A very nice bloke.

RIP Gareth.

The keynote of Gareth was what we used to call the bull run. Got the ball about 20 yards outside the penalty area and just ran in a straight line with it. Anyone who tried to tackle him just bounced off him. Remember him scoring at Preston? just like that.

I’m sure footage of the preston game where Williams scored was posted on here a while back. Can anyone find it?

I bought my first scarf from his shop in L/H. the white 1 with the 2 red stripes if I remember rightly. Or have I just made that up!!!

RIP GW xxx

I am suprised that the windows of the shop weren't smashed selling BWFC scarves on LH precinct. :) Now you mentioned it I think I remember him from that shop he had the blonde hair but was receding at the front, did not have a clue he was an ex wanderer.    

Edited by Mounts Kipper

A great wanderer, I remember being impressed with his blonde hair and how he put himself about the park.

His position was " right half " ... number 4 shirt in old money . I called myself a right half when I played based on him being my fave player.

Bought my first ever pair of football boots from his churchgate shop. Was really disappointed he wasn't in the shop at the time. I have his autograph somewhere. My mum was a waitress at the Chetham Arms in turton and it used to be quite a popular eating and drinking place for wanderers players back in the day. I remember being thrilled when she came back with autographs for Terry Wharton, Gareth Williams , Franny Lee and Nat on a Chetham Arms publicity card.

When his career went downhill John Byron became my fave player and I switched from right half to inside forward ????

Edited by Nottm_Wanderer

I’m sure footage of the preston game where Williams scored was posted on here a while back. Can anyone find it?

Think this is the footage that you are talking about from 1968 

I did not start watching Bolton till 1970 which I think was his final season and have very little memory of him as a player , but i do remember regularly going to his shop and occasionally seeing him in there 

RIP