Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Us Open

L/H White

Fancied DJ and he looks good at the minute - easy to say after a round (and a bit) I suppose :)

Will Rory win another major? - I'd have said yes a while back but just not seeing it last couple of years.

Still, if he wins one the floodgates could open

Edited by madthatter

Crap setup, turned the tournament in to a putting context.

Despite dominating the tournament, DJ has been bang in line with the field average tee to green in the first 2 rounds, not even gaining a full stroke - the fairways are so wide the rough is just for show and the real defense is tricked up greens.

Fancied DJ and he looks good at the minute - easy to say after a round (and a bit) I suppose :)

Will Rory win another major? - I'd have said yes a while back but just not seeing it last couple of years.

Still, if he wins one the floodgates could open

Was interesting watch Sky go for the Rory in crisis angle last night. Over on the OWGR website, if you only look at 2018 he'd actually be world number 1 right now, so think the crisis is a little over stated. Could easily have won the Masters this year as well.

Was interesting watch Sky go for the Rory in crisis angle last night. Over on the OWGR website, if you only look at 2018 he'd actually be world number 1 right now, so think the crisis is a little over stated. Could easily have won the Masters this year as well.

Aye he's talented I just think it's become a bit of a mental thing for him, especially the Masters - his putting seems to wane when the pressures on.

He was looking good until about the third hole final day last Masters, missed a couple and never got it back.

Most top level golf's a bit of a boring these days - it's a putting contest as you say.

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Pro Golf You Tubers and thinking 'I may beat you (on a very, very good day ha ha)'

Edited by madthatter

Bit of a joke (again) the US Open.

Not watched much this year but reminds me of that farce a few years ago when the greens were like a gravel path.

Not great viewing, imo, when balls are bouncing, rolling 50ft when hit well - makes it a lottery rather than skill test.  Bah Humbug :)  

Mickelson . . . tbf he's knowingly broke the rules out of frustration (to make a point?) and suffered the correct penalty.  Got to use those rules to your advantage ha ha.  A tad cnutish though

Edited by madthatter

Correct penalty would be a DQ but he's such a loveable bloke he gets away with it

Johnson hanging on but Fleetwood puts in a fantastic effort

Not over yet

Not as the rules state it - the ball was moving so he gets the right penalty but I can see how it could have been 'interpreted differently' had it not been Mr P Mickelson.

I don't find him loveable to be honest - used to but his comments about Tom Watson after the RC a few years back were cnutish in the extreme

Feel for Tommy but great effort and will give him lots of confidence 

Edited by madthatter

Agree.

What would the penalty be if another player twatted his ball away from the pin into the water.

Different scenario (if you mean hit another players ball?) so different rule applied.

If you mean another player done what PM did then they'd have to give the same ruling (you'd think - not as if the USGA and he are bessy mates, he slates em every year)

At the risk of going all Malc - having been playing regularly in comps and match play golf the last few years I can tell you that rules 'chats' always pop up now and then and there's always a Norman Nigel type that can quote the rule no. as they wag their finger . . . 

I've made it my business to get at least half up to speed

fwiw I think he should have quit the tournament as a sign of sportsmanship but there you go.

It was a tongue in cheek suggestion that some one twat his ball in.

They were discussing rules on the radio. Some scope for disqualification but a grey area.

A slight whoosh then? :)

Golf rules, and in particular application, can be mental.  All quite simple to get really but then you have these odd and unusual situations that mean about three different rules start applying - some of which are open to interpretation, like a lie, or intent.  Medal day can be a hoot! ;)

Edited by madthatter