Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England V Tunisia

gonzo

We won that’s the main thing others have struggled

This team will get better and should make the quarters anything beyond that would be an achievement

Regards the criticism it’s wanderersways the season is over people need to moan at something

Just looked at our potential route

With Germany losing its mixed it up

Should we win the group, we are likely to play, Poland then Brazil

Should we come 2nd, we are likely to play, Colombia then Mexico

It's coming home

It's coming home

hope not got Mexico in sweepstake????????

It's coming home

i would be more than happy with 2nd, Mexico looked decent against Germany but cant imagine they would play that well throughout the tournament 

Is the ‘gettingcarriedawaywithourselves’

Yep, Germany could easily still top their group. Or not qualify at all. A knock out game is unknown territory for the England players and management so anything could happen.

Love the way people say "we should beat Poland or Colombia". Lots of teams should beat others but don't. Truth is that we're not full of stars but have enough to suggest if we work as a unit and graft for each other we COULD go further into the tournament. Equally though there needs to be some tweaks because as opponents get stronger than last night how we played last night in terms of system and indeed performance won't be nearly good enough. 

• Site Supporter

Early days

But what if we play Belgium and losing would make it an easier route (assuming panama and Tunisia are goners by then), would we just field 8 players??

Sterling might not be dropped because GS might not want to ruin his confidence, I too would like Rashford starting, but it might be for Alli now? 

I would like Rose over Young, but yesterday Young did create the 1st goal from his corner and he played a great cross in the 1st half but Lingard missed when free at the back post, Tunisia did nothing but they did once get in behind Young and won a corner and he failed to get back quickly.

When we play Belgium and better, will he risk not playing both Dier and Henderson?

Assuming we've qualified by the time we play Belgium, that game, win lose or draw, is going to tell us lots about our chances.

Good thing is if the above is the case we essentially have a 'friendly' to have a look and put things right.

Let's get Panama beat first though :) 

Yep, Germany could easily still top their group. Or not qualify at all. A knock out game is unknown territory for the England players and management so anything could happen.

Love the way people say "we should beat Poland or Colombia". Lots of teams should beat others but don't. Truth is that we're not full of stars but have enough to suggest if we work as a unit and graft for each other we COULD go further into the tournament. Equally though there needs to be some tweaks because as opponents get stronger than last night how we played last night in terms of system and indeed performance won't be nearly good enough. 

dont think anyone realistically is getting carried away. 

in the build up to the tournament i think everyone's view was the QF's would be a success. Thats still very much the aim in my view regardless of whether we top the group or not.

However, by looking at our route & potential opponents you would naturally have more hope when facing Mexico than Germany. nothing wrong with that either.

saying that it could all go tits up, we under perform and make a poor exit in the last 16. Or Germany do a Germany and somehow win their group anyway. 

the Tournament could potentially open up for an average team like ourselves much like the Euros did for Wales 

in the build up to the tournament i think everyone's view was the QF's would be a success. Thats still very much the aim in my view regardless of whether we top the group or not.

However, by looking at our route & potential opponents you would naturally have more hope when facing Mexico than Germany. nothing wrong with that either.

saying that it could all go tits up, we under perform and make a poor exit in the last 16. Or Germany do a Germany and somehow win their group anyway. 

the Tournament could potentially open up for an average team like ourselves much like the Euros did for Wales 

That's the hope surely?

Thogdan on the Beeb

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44528597

Certainly wasn't mine. Quarter finals is the least we should expect.

If we get through the group we probably play Poland or Colombia in the last 16. We should be winning that. 

Quarter finals and i wouldn't say is a failure, but its certainly not a success for me. 

Semis would be a good effort.

Certainly wasn't mine. Quarter finals is the least we should expect.

If we get through the group we probably play Poland or Colombia in the last 16. We should be winning that. 

Quarter finals and i wouldn't say is a failure, but its certainly not a success for me. 

Semis would be a good effort.

meant pundits etc as a whole.

groups - embarassing

last 16 - under performed

QF- about par

SF - fantastic achievement

i would say thats a fair assessment? 

regardless of who we play and where we get to the team has a tendency to only play a good 45 minutes. That needs to stop. They need more complete performances 

Edited by barrycowdrill

I doubt there's a team in this competition that could play at the pace we did in the first 20 mins - for the full 90.

I dont just mean the pace, but last night, the warm up game against Nigeria & a couple of the qualifiers we looked a totally different side after HT after a very decent first half an hour / 45 minutes

whether thats 'game management' or not or they just lose their way slightly for periods i dont know. When we do come up against the better sides we wont get away with such a difference in performance thats all im saying 

I doubt there's a team in this competition that could play at the pace we did in the first 20 mins - for the full 90.

Spot on BB. I really like the "blitz" style starts we seem to be capable of. However its during these high tempo starts we need to grab a couple of goals.

Last night in the second half and particularly after 60mins the team seem devoid of ideas, though i assume that was more to do with fatigue.

Spot on BB. I really like the "blitz" style starts we seem to be capable of. However its during these high tempo starts we need to grab a couple of goals.

Last night in the second half and particularly after 60mins the team seem devoid of ideas, though i assume that was more to do with fatigue.

i completely agree

but what ive highlighted above is also exactly my point. If we want to go beyond the QF's and really make an impact on this tournament the first 20 minutes blitz then on our knees for the last 20 or so needs to be balanced better or we will get rolled over 

the 2nd half from the whistle to the subs coming on didn't see much in terms of chances, but we still dominated the game and were under no threat whatsoever.

The weather

The fact it should have been about 6-0 

Tunisia having almost everyone back

The pathetic officials 

I'm sure missing all those chances along with the officials not doing their job was a major reason why our performance in chance creation dropped, the pressure will always get higher the more the game goes on, I'm sure them knowing the Belgium game may have needed a win/draw had it stayed a draw also played a part too(In the back of their minds) Not to mention the energy/stamina levels, we saw the lift the team got when we introduced fresh players

A lot would have pissed players off yesterday, including all those flies on you taking your concentration away at times

Edited by Didledee

i completely agree

but what ive highlighted above is also exactly my point. If we want to go beyond the QF's and really make an impact on this tournament the first 20 minutes blitz then on our knees for the last 20 or so needs to be balanced better or we will get rolled over

Before the game there was quite a bit made of the Russians thinking we were bonkers staying in St Pete’s, 1,000 miles from Volvograd and the only going there very late on. Not enough time to acclimatise apparently. This could very much explain the energy sapping

Tell you what though, reading this place after a win; I’d hate to see it after we lose; especially given we all said pre-tournament that we’re very average. We then play average (I thought better than that overall but!) and folk seem outraged

Don’t get it me. Results business and we are 1 for 1

Before the game there was quite a bit made of the Russians thinking we were bonkers staying in St Pete’s, 1,000 miles from Volvograd and the only going there very late on. Not enough time to acclimatise apparently. This could very much explain the energy sapping

Tell you what though, reading this place after a win; I’d hate to see it after we lose; especially given we all said pre-tournament that we’re very average. We then play average (I thought better than that overall but!) and folk seem outraged

im far from being negative personally.  I thought the performance overall was decent enough. great in patches, sloppy and very slow paced in others. Happy to acknowledge fatigue / conditions probably played a part in that. The result was the most important thing for many reasons last night

Overall, not many things to take apart. i can see us growing in to the tournament now all the build up and first game nerves have gone. The team is still very much a work in progress and hopefully one of the things we improve on is delivering a better performance over the whole 90 minutes rather than an outstanding 45 then a mediocre one.. 

Edited by barrycowdrill

im far from being negative personally. I thought the performance overall was decent enough. great in patches, sloppy and very slow paced in others. Happy to acknowledge fatigue / conditions probably played a part in that. The result was the most important thing for many reasons last night

Overall, not many things to take apart. i can see us growing in to the tournament now all the build up and first game nerves have gone. The team is still very much a work in progress and hopefully one of the things we improve on is delivering a better performance over the whole 90 minutes rather than an outstanding 45 then a mediocre one..

Wasn’t aimed at you mate. TBH I agree with your summary

Wasn’t aimed at you mate. TBH I agree with your summary

oh i know. 1st game. a win. A bit of perspective needed overall i think

players will deliver poor games from time to time so im certainly not one demanding wholesale changes after 1 game. If Sterling is poor again v Panama then dropping him is justified.

that being said, for better balance Rose in for Young makes sense 

• Site Supporter

An interesting point there jules. Is is better to go early and try to acclimatise or stay away where it's cooler so the players are fresher a decent perhaps have slept better?

Can the heat of a few days sap the energy before they've started?

One things for sure, keeping away from those bloody midges must be a blessing.

Hate to see it after we lose?

I’m sure that if / when we lose to a decent side the reaction will be reasonable as long as we’ve given it our best. Tunisia showed themselves to be far from a decent side

As everyone keeps saying, Tunisia were happy to stick everyone behind the ball and make it difficult for us

With that in mind having 6 defensive players on the pitch and 4 attackers isn’t really putting our best foot forward on the night

Granted we got the result, brilliant, but it was very nearly more of the same (I was hoping we had moved on a bit from rigid formations whatever the opponent)

Henderson was very good, from the very little i watched!!!

Henderson is a great player, I never get why people always call him shit. One of the first names down on the team sheet for both Liverpool and England, so he must be doing something right. He's certainly not a "Hollywood" player, but he's steady and rarely puts a foot wrong as far as I can tell

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.