Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England Vs Belgium

Spider

I know we've been over this (and it's all over the BBC) but if Japan were to take top spot one route to the semis looks much simpler, on paper, than the other.

It's got to affect thinking, surely?

As a fan I want to see us go as far as possible, nothing taken for granted mind, so It's all about 2nd place for me :) 

Been thinking about this and for me topping the group is the easier path to the semis

1st or 2nd and you have to say their isn’t much between the three potential teams we could play. However you should see a marginal benefit playing whoever finishes 2nd rather than the team that tops the group

In terms of last 8, if we top the group that would be one of Mexico or Brazil, if we come 2nd then it’s one from Switzerland or Sweden

Given that Sweden smashed Mexico 3-0 you’d be crazy to want to get the Scandinavian’s. In terms of Brazil or Switzerland, I couldn’t see much between them when they met last week. Brazil have been very ordinary indeed.

I’d fancy our chances of beating Brazil as much I would a well organised Sweden or Switzerland

Top the group, keep momentum, fear nobody!

Edited by birch-chorley

Been thinking about this and for me topping the group is the easier path to the semis

1st or 2nd and you have to say their isn’t much between the three potential teams we could play. However you should see a marginal benefit playing whoever finishes 2nd rather than the team that tops the group

In terms of last 8, if we top the group that would be one of Mexico or Brazil, if we come 2nd then it’s one from Switzerland or Sweden

Given that Sweden smashed Mexico 3-0 you’d be crazy to want to get the Scandinavian’s. In terms of Brazil or Switzerland, I couldn’t see much between them when they met last week. Brazil have been very ordinary indeed.

I’d fancy our chances of beating Brazil as much I would against a well organised Sweden or Switzerland

That is really wonky analysis. Brazil have qualified in 2nd gear. They have quality players proven on the highest of stages. 

Of course anyone who rather play Sweden or Switzerland. Doesn't mean we'd win, or lose to Brazil. But Sweden or Switzerland aren't as good as Brazil in theory.

As for the teams from the group, Colombia look far and away the strongest. Japan probably the pick if we could choose. 

I’d fancy our chances of beating Brazil as much I would against a well organised Sweden or Switzerland

Aye, fair points.  Momentum I get and I don't think the Swizz or Swedes would be that easy but perhaps easier?

From what I saw Mexico changed down a gear or two against Sweden.

To be honest my fear is getting Columbia next game - they will cause us lots of problems.

Brazil looked to be finding a rhythm last night but defensively looked a bit shaky.  Honestly think we could muller any team I've seen on our day - but equally could get a tonking . . .

That is really wonky analysis. Brazil have qualified in 2nd gear. They have quality players proven on the highest of stages.

Of course anyone who rather play Sweden or Switzerland. Doesn't mean we'd win, or lose to Brazil. But Sweden or Switzerland aren't as good as Brazil in theory.

As for the teams from the group, Colombia look far and away the strongest. Japan probably the pick if we could choose.

2nd gear or just an ordinary Brazil team? I’ve seen nothing of them in three games that makes me think they can find a huge amount extra

I honestly think we would do better against a team that will come out and have a go at us than we would do being the clear favourite against a well organised Sweden or Switzerland

That Sweden team has played very well, I wouldn’t underestimate them at all

Edited by birch-chorley

I agree with the above that the Swedes and Swiss look just as good as the Brazilians so far in this tournament. But the with all the history and prestige surrounding the Brazilians, a victory over them would give a massive boost to the team ahead of a semi final.

Let's smash these Belgians and win the group!

That said, Senegal, Colombia and Japan all look useful...

2nd gear or just an ordinary Brazil team? I’ve seen nothing of them in three games that makes me think they can find a huge amount extra

I honestly think we would do better against a team that will come out and have a go at us than we would do being the clear favourite against a well organised Sweden or Switzerland

That Sweden team has played very well, I wouldn’t underestimate them at all

Brazil might well not be vintage, but they look effective to me. Sweden and Switzerland yes, might be organised but they'd have far less to hurt us with than Brazil. We've not been tested defensively yet. 

I think the deeper we go the better it is for these players to build a positive experience and whilst I agree every single knock out match nowadays is tight and tough and can be a banana skin, I'd be more confident if we somehow ended up with Japan then Sweden than I would with Colombia then Brazil. 

I do believe there's more to come from Brazil. That said they're not what they used to be and might not make it past the next round.

They look to be warming up slowly but surely, not been tested at all defensively though have they. Depends what Mexico turns up too? 

What a bizarre situation this is.  I wonder how France or Portugal, say, would be thinking if they were in our place?

Pretty certain Roberrrrrrrto wouldn't be playing the B team if they needed a result to avoid Brazil either!

I seem to remember many thinking we were better off facing Iceland rather than Portugal in the euros. We're winning, keep up the momentum and fear no one.

There's not a cat in hells chance that we're going to win it anyway, but if you want to do well you've got to beat the best sides sometime

Columbia don’t sound like they are any great shakes today, again!

Probably rather play them over Senegal or Japan

Senegal no better either

thats the problem with teams like this, you never know which one will show up?

Mexico could turn over Brazil if they played like they did against Germany or get battered if they play like yesterday 

I seem to remember many thinking we were better off facing Iceland rather than Portugal in the euros. We're winning, keep up the momentum and fear no one.

There's not a cat in hells chance that we're going to win it anyway, but if you want to do well you've got to beat the best sides sometime

You certainly don't have to beat the best team to win a cup competition.

In 1954, when FIFA were even more backward, there were groups of 4 but only 2 opponents each.

Turkey beat South Korea, but lost to West Germany.

West Germany decided not to take on the Hungarians in the group match, fielded a very weakened team, and lost 8-3.

Then they beat Turkey again in a play-off.

In the semis Brazil (who had yet to win any World Cup) kicked Hungary all over the park in the battle of Bern, but lost anyway.

Hungary for the final were a pale shadow of their true ability and West Germany won for the first time.

Why not? I've not seen anyone to fear yet in this World Cup, on our day we can beat anyone.

And on 'our day' we can also lose to anyone. An average side on a good run of form and luck could perhaps win the Euros. You've got to have quality to win a world cup. We don't have enough of it

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.