Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England Vs Belgium

Spider

all this momentum bollocks, Spain lost their first game in 2010, then went on to win the whole thing

I'd have been concerned if that was our first team.  

We all knew our strength was pace up top and counter attacking but that team just wasn't working - didn't like the two up top either.  Last night was like England of old at times

Still think we can beat anyone but equally could get a hiding off a better side.  Keep playing to our strengths and make teams wary of our threats - Only way we'll have any success.

I'd have been concerned if that was our first team.  

We all knew our strength was pace up top and counter attacking but that team just wasn't working - didn't like the two up top either.  Last night was like England of old at times

Still think we can beat anyone but equally could get a hiding off a better side.  Keep playing to our strengths and make teams wary of our threats - Only way we'll have any success.

We had two quick lads up front but never played the early ball and never hit the channels. Lack of ability to adapt is concerning though I'm convinced we were happy to lose. 

We had two quick lads up front but never played the early ball and never hit the channels. Lack of ability to adapt is concerning though I'm convinced we were happy to lose. 

Seemed that way contrary to what GS was saying before the game - he has to say that though doesn't he?

It was a glorified friendly really where losing was probably the best result.  No team in world football would have done any different

We're in the KOs and have Columbia then the Swiss or Sweden in a QF.  You couldn't ask for a better route to the semis given what teams are left.  If we don't beat Columbia or the QF opponents then we simply weren't good enough (which most thought anyway).

Yet more negativity. If we get tatered in the next game fine.

Until then, just like Brexit, no one really knows, so enjoy the sunshine and get behind the lads.

yesterday pre game: win the game, top the group and if we face Brazil then we have to face the best at some point to win it

today post game: oh shit we've got Columbia now thats a tough game, we shouldve got Japan

nothings ever good enough 

yesterday pre game: win the game, top the group and if we face Brazil then we have to face the best at some point to win it

today post game: oh shit we've got Columbia now thats a tough game, we shouldve got Japan

nothings ever good enough 

I see a few pundits Waddle and the like have stuck the knife in a bit - not that it matters but have some perspective ffs

We've got a genuine chance of making the semi's and who knows then.

As has been said before, you don't need the best team/squad to win a tournament.  (helps mind :))

I see a few pundits Waddle and the like have stuck the knife in a bit - not that it matters but have some perspective ffs

As has been said before, you don't need the best team/squad to win a tournament.  (helps mind :))

and the luck of the draw which we fucking have!

i almost think the players who failed for us previously want us to fail again just so they can say 'well, its what we all do in England' fuck right off

• Moderators

all this momentum bollocks, Spain lost their first game in 2010, then went on to win the whole thing

then by the end of the group stage they had momentum

had we lost to Belgium 1st then finished with that 6-1 result, it'd be a different story

see what happens, but it seems the knives are being sharpened now, because that result brought a few back down to earth with a realization we're not as good as we thought we might be last weekend

So far we have struggled to beat Tunisia, despite a hatful of early chances, needing a last minute winner, and then hammered the worst team in the competition before losing a B team match.

We could win the next 4, or we could be undone by an ex DMB again.

Waddle was a good player but is a terrible, terrible pundit. 

I think its fair to say that England haven't been tested yet. But they've done the job needed.

Waddle is probably right that we're yet to prove anything, but he's one of those irritating "purists" who will bang on all day about Spain playing one touch football and hates anything that isn't that. 

then by the end of the group stage they had momentum

had we lost to Belgium 1st then finished with that 6-1 result, it'd be a different story

see what happens, but it seems the knives are being sharpened now, because that result brought a few back down to earth with a realization we're not as good as we thought we might be last weekend

I disagree.  last night's game told us nothing really other than our B team looked disjointed (rusty and trying too hard?) and Jones shouldn't be anywhere near the England set up.

I'll admit that Sterling should probably keep his place as well but it might have been a different story if he (Rashford) was playing with the first team. . .

We're are a long way from being a top class side though, our midfield and defense look very shaky under pressure, but still reckon we're good enough to win this (which is a contradiction, I know)

Edited by madthatter

Non of the players who didnt play yesterday will have their confidence / momentum checked by last nights result. If anything i bet half of them are relieved they werent flogging themselves in such a disjointed turgid affair

They will be chomping at the bit to get going again on Tuesday when the competition really starts. 

I honestly dont get all the negativity? These pundits these days think the average football fan doesnt understated the game and theyre enlightening us with their 'been in the game' knowledge.

when actually they spout more bollocks than your fella in the boozer. We all know where the England team is, what the realistic expectation is but if some want to dream bigger then so fucking what, its the World Cup & we're equally good / shit than the rest currently still in it from what everyone has seen so far 

Edited by barrycowdrill

I disagree.  last night's game told us nothing really other than our B team looked disjointed (rusty and trying too hard?) and Jones shouldn't be anywhere near the England set up.

I'll admit that Sterling should probably keep his place as well but it might have been a different story if he (Rashford) was playing with the first team. . .

We're are a long way from being a top class side though, our midfield and defense look very shaky under pressure, but still reckon we're good enough to win this (which is a contradiction, I know)

Told us Belgiums second string are better than ours. And probably is a reality check in the sense that some of their reserves would be our first choicers....beyond that....it doesn't impact how we'll do vs Colombia other than having well rested players properly prepared for the game. 

Told us Belgiums second string are better than ours. And probably is a reality check in the sense that some of their reserves would be our first choicers....beyond that....it doesn't impact how we'll do vs Colombia other than having well rested players properly prepared for the game. 

until theres a reserves World Cup i couldnt give a toss if we had Spazzy Daz as 2nd choice Goal Keeper

and unless all XI starters contract aids and cant play the depth in the full 23 man squad is irrelevant. It isnt going to win us anything

A decent enough 13/14 will do 

Honestly couldnt give a flying fook if another nations 3rd choice CB is better than ours. We wouldnt meet them until the final again anyway where non of last nights outfield players baring Stones would start 

Edited by barrycowdrill

• Moderators

for me, and it doesn't matter as hope not to see most of them play again, but it shows our squad is lacking and if certain first teamers get injured we haven't much to fall back on

hopefully, if we go all the way, it'll be in 90 mins each time with no injuries or suspensions

never expected to win it anyway, so it's not changed much for me in that respect

but it does seem the mood has changed from watching the pundits last night compared to last week, and doubt anyone will be posting before tuesday about flying to russia for the final

• Site Supporter

Well said baz.

I don't buy it that their second string is better than ours either.

Yes they won but it seemed like a friendly to me; certainly not anything to get overly concerned about.

The nearest analogy was watching two prem teams playing at the end of the season with nowt to play for.

Well said baz.

I don't buy it that their second string is better than ours either.

Yes they won but it seemed like a friendly to me; certainly not anything to get overly concerned about.

The nearest analogy was watching two prem teams playing at the end of the season with nowt to play for.

Also, the Belgium squad has been fawned over for the last 2 years by everyone about the names they have and the depth of squad and talent

so it isnt really anything new to anyone if their 2nd string beat ours, it would beat many

Fake news 

Edited by barrycowdrill

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.