Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Thoughts On Southgate And The Future Of England

Didledee

I really like GS, he seems such a chill guy with a great attitude and I like the way he talks about football with his interpretation of it, it looks like the sacking of Allardyce was a blessing, the football isn't perfect, qualifying wasn't perfect but England football seems to be in a good place right now.

Looks like a great environment as been achieved on and off the pitch and the team is playing good football matching the managers ideology.

One result could change the mood, but given where we were at full time vs Iceland to right now, I think it's been a great change.

Imagine Allardyce still in charge and an aging non retired Rooney playing in midfield, stagnate football vs adventurous

Not saying things would have been bad results wise under Sam, we did win his only game and won well despite Lallana only scoring in the 90th minute vs Slovakia, but I doubt we'd be in a better place than we are currently. 

Looking ahead, these players with more experience can only get better, the youth teams are doing very well and with the likes of Sessegnon, Sancho etc coming through, I think we'll be in a wonderful place come Euro 2020, WC2022.

Not many were convinced or wanted GS, but I think he's won over many.

I really like GS, he seems such a chill guy with a great attitude and I like the way he talks about football with his interpretation of it, it looks like the sacking of Allardyce was a blessing, the football isn't perfect, qualifying wasn't perfect but England football seems to be in a good place right now.

Looks like a great environment as been achieved on and off the pitch and the team is playing good football matching the managers ideology.

One result could change the mood, but given where we were at full time vs Iceland to right now, I think it's been a great change.

Imagine Allardyce still in charge and an aging non retired Rooney playing in midfield, stagnate football vs adventurous

Not saying things would have been bad results wise under Sam, we did win his only game and won well despite Lallana only scoring in the 90th minute vs Slovakia, but I doubt we'd be in a better place than we are currently. 

Looking ahead, these players with more experience can only get better, the youth teams are doing very well and with the likes of Sessegnon, Sancho etc coming through, I think we'll be in a wonderful place come Euro 2020, WC2022.

Not many were convinced or wanted GS, but I think he's won over many.

I'm one of those - and you can understand why folk were skeptical but fair fcuks to him; he's saying and doing all the right things.

Time to judge is after the tournament but I will say that the continuity form lower levels to the first team with GS is seeming like a huge plus for England, now and looking ahead.  The FA must take credit as well though.

He has took us further than last time. I was one who wasn’t impressed when he got the gig but have come to like him over time. Seems a good bloke. Part of me still wishes the fat man had the gig but I suspect we wouldn’t of been as good

Allardyce dropped and subbed Rooney many times last season. This internet driven supposed favouritism is false.

I'm not factoring that in on my opinion. I don't think he would of evolved us though. Only my opinion. I think his innovation left him when he left us.

• Site Supporter

I’m not much of a fan of Southgate but credit where it’s due, he talks a good game and can’t fault our 2 results so far.

Maybe he’s one of these managers cut out for international management more than club like Hoddle.a

I reckon we’ll be found wanting against decent opposition in the knock outs

• Moderators

Beforehand I said would be happy with the quarters and decent perfomances along the way

Still will be

If we then show some sort of progress by the next Euros then the WC it'll be a job well done

I was hugely skeptical of Southgate and still to some extent am. He's clearly worked very hard and is really focussed on detail which impresses me.

However, when we play better teams lets see how tactically astute he is. 

What it probably shows is how different club and international management are and how different types are suited to each. 

Mind the scenario has helped Southgate, building and working with a mainly young team. Had he been asked to manage the egos of the last lot, I suspect he'd have struggled like McClaren did. 

some are best suited to coaching. Some, day - day management and the others, International management

Up to now, very early days but i think Southgate fits the latter. He was thrust in to the job over night but the timing couldnt have been any more perfect for him. A few players coming to the end who he could gracefully phase out, optimism & interest in the national team at its lowest for however long?

Gave him the opportunity to begin to build something longer term. He was already heavily involved with the FA, knew at some point his opportunity would come so would of been planning what he wanted to do for quite a while.

what has surprised me is his attention to detail. Appears very meticulous and clear in getting across to the team how he wants us to play. Always felt with other managers players were a but confused and didnt buy in to it 

Ultimately its a results business and he will be judged on our performances in tournaments. But, what he is trying to build, across all age groups will fingers crossed remain for a long period 

His attention to detail is meticulous,he handles the press with great aplomb, he hasn't made any daft decisions so far.

He has as much chance of winning this World cup as any other manager at this tournament imo.

I like the cut of his jib.

Arise Sir Gareth.

I appreciate England haven’t been tested yet

We have always expected us to come unstuck against the ‘better’ teams

However we have to be careful that we don’t give the ‘better teams’ too much respect, I don’t think they are as strong as has been made out in the build up of this WC

Brazil, Spain, France, Germany, Argentina etc would all have been described as ‘better’ teams but they have all shown that they have their own massive issues to deal with

For that reason I think this is as good a chance as any for us to win the thing. Not just us, the likes of Belgium, Uruguay, Portugal, Croatia etc all have a huge chance to do the unthinkable and win a World Cup

Southgates brought a bit of confidence to a young team, which is great, let’s hope he can take us to the semis and beyond

Edited by birch-chorley

Southgate's parents, Clive and Barbara, met at an English Schools' Athletics Championships in the 1950s when both were members of the Hertfordshire team.

Clive went on to become 13th ranked javelin thrower in GB in 1963, competing for London AC. Their HQ had been Stamford Bridge and then White City, but by the mid-fifties they had moved to Hurlingham. The club's star performer during the late 50s and early 60s was one Harry Kane.

Even weirder, but the 50s HK and the current one were both strikers for Leyton Orient. The elder one (who is Jewish) never played for the first team and switched from football to athletics at age 20, but the younger (who is of Irish stock) scored 5 goals in 18 appearances (mostly sub cameos) as a 17 year-old loanee from Spurs.

Southgate's parents, Clive and Barbara, met at an English Schools' Athletics Championships in the 1950s when both were members of the Hertfordshire team.

Clive went on to become 13th ranked javelin thrower in GB in 1963, competing for London AC. Their HQ had been Stamford Bridge and then White City, but by the mid-fifties they had moved to Hurlingham. The club's star performer during the late 50s and early 60s was one Harry Kane.

Even weirder, but the 50s HK and the current one were both strikers for Leyton Orient. The elder one (who is Jewish) never played for the first team and switched from football to athletics at age 20, but the younger (who is of Irish stock) scored 5 goals in 18 appearances (mostly sub cameos) as a 17 year-old loanee from Spurs.

Who does he take after, Clive Or Babs? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.