Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Thoughts On Southgate And The Future Of England

Didledee

Everyone decent has lived in Crawley at one point or another.

Except for Rohmesh Rangatathathaetcercetc as he’s just not funny.

Cure are good though.

Someone must think that Romesh fella is funny? I’ve not met anyone who likes him including myself. How does he keep getting on tele

Quotas

Is the correct answer :)  

That being said, there are worse out there.

How does Jo Brand keep getting gigs?  One more shit joke about her shit husband or eating too much cake and I'm putting a complaint in ;) 

Is the correct answer :)

That being said, there are worse out there.

How does Jo Brand keep getting gigs? One more shit joke about her shit husband or eating too much cake and I'm putting a complaint in ;)

Can't fucking stand Jo brand.

When I was in hospital with my 2nd collapsed lung Dave had one of her stand up shows on and I was in too much pain to reach the remote. It was shite so forced myself to go to sleep

Can't fucking stand Jo brand.

When I was in hospital with my 2nd collapsed lung Dave had one of her stand up shows on and I was in too much pain to reach the remote. It was shite so forced myself to go to sleep

It shouldn't but that image made me laugh :)  

I also thought, 'Who's Dave . . .?'  then realised what you meant - spaztardc'estmoi

Anyone who thinks BSA wouldn't get to the final with this draw more often than not needs help

Looking forward to hearing about how special and different this team is because it's fallen in to their laps. Scraped past some extremely poor teams so far, and don't need any more than that to get a 1 time shot in the final.

Anyone who thinks BSA wouldn't get to the final with this draw more often than not needs help

Looking forward to hearing about how special and different this team is because it's fallen in to their laps. Scraped past some extremely poor teams so far, and don't need any more than that to get a 1 time shot in the final.

Southgate has done a good job in terms of the details, the preparation and the overall team unity he's created. Don't downplay that.

I still think tactically he's a bit lacking. But we'll see. 

The teams we're playing are no pushovers and any win now at this level is hard fought. 

• Moderators

The fact Southgate practice pens in training makes him the most astute England manager of the last 30 years

Even hendersons was a decent take

The fact Southgate practice pens in training makes him the most astute England manager of the last 30 years

Read they practice after training sessions when they're fcuked - probably not that unique but good idea nonetheless.

Seems they have a clear plan and strategy - 'owning the process' sounds good doesn't it? :) 

I think plenty of England managers have practiced them. I think Southgate gets the credit for bringing in experts to look at psychology. England were clearly mentally better prepared for penalties last night than they ever have been.

Still a lottery. After Henderson's was saved (and his penalty was hit at exactly the wrong height) they hit the bar. Had that gone in, it was probably curtains. 

However, England seemed to have a better mentality in ET and then going into penalties. They didn't seem scared, they seemed focussed and accepting of the process. 

• Moderators

I think plenty of England managers have practiced them. I think Southgate gets the credit for bringing in experts to look at psychology. England were clearly mentally better prepared for penalties last night than they ever have been.

Still a lottery. After Henderson's was saved (and his penalty was hit at exactly the wrong height) they hit the bar. Had that gone in, it was probably curtains. 

However, England seemed to have a better mentality in ET and then going into penalties. They didn't seem scared, they seemed focussed and accepting of the process. 

aye, seems practice practice practice paid off

and by practice I don't just mean kicking the ball - Southgate has had them practicing walking slowly from the half way line when taking their pens so they aren't in a rush and getting flustered - plus they already know, physical condition pending, who is taking in what order rather than looking round for volunteers as has often been the case in the past and folk have shit out

there is an element of luck, but it's more about being able to perform under pressure, which is why he's taken practice and preperation to the next level

guess that Euro 96 miss came in handy for him

aye, seems practice practice practice paid off

and by practice I don't just mean kicking the ball - Southgate has had them practicing walking slowly from the half way line when taking their pens so they aren't in a rush and getting flustered - plus they already know, physical condition pending, who is taking in what order rather than looking round for volunteers as has often been the case in the past and folk have shit out

there is an element of luck, but it's more about being able to perform under pressure, which is why he's taken practice and preperation to the next level

guess that Euro 96 miss came in handy for him

When you’re under pressure you don’t rise to the occasion

You sink to the level of your training

Indeed. What a change from "make it up as you go" Hodgson!

read somehwere yesterday (it may have been on here) that in the Euro's not one member of the back room squad bothered to go and watch Iceland in the groups before we met them

Hodgson & Lewington decided to go on a boat trip instead  :lol:

fucking pensioners and organised trips out

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.