Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Thoughts On Southgate And The Future Of England

Didledee

So for this world cup, the people's savior Gareth Southgate managed, in order of impressiveness

Beat Sweden

Thrashed a pub team (Panama)

Beat Tunisia in injury time

Drew with Colombia

Lost to Belgium B (arguably his best result)

Lost to Croatia

It was an historic opportunity which unfortunately he flunked. We'll never get a draw anywhere near this easy in my lifetime.

I look forward to reading about how proud we all are, and how he has brought us together.

• Site Supporter

So for this world cup, the people's savior Gareth Southgate managed, in order of impressiveness

Beat Sweden

Drew with Colombia

Lost to Croatia

It was an historic opportunity which unfortunately he flunked. We'll never get a draw anywhere near this easy in my lifetime.

I look forward to reading about how proud we all are, and how he has brought us together.

Pretty much my thoughts,

but maybe next time, just maybe.

Beat Sweden

Drew with Colombia

Lost to Croatia

You miserable devil! We've had easy draws before and flunked it. When we don't we lose to the first bit of quality we face.

We've performed above expectations for once. Players did us proud. Enjoy it!

Beat Sweden

Drew with Colombia

Lost to Croatia

There is truth in this. Equally though an element of English big head. Croatia have better players playing at top European clubs with trophies to their name. They would have seen playing an inexperienced and unfancied England team in a semi as a massive chance.

• Moderators

Aye, no one expected anything from this England team yet the route was "easy", even though we've not got anything like the quality of Modric and Rakitic

Lads did well but probably best not to start knocking Southgate on what could've been

We could and should have buried Croatia in the first half.

For the rest of the match England ran out of steam and the better side won.

Gutted, but proud of our young lads.

This was our only hope against the top sides really - blow them away early.

We almost did . . . I think GS will get it right and adapt.

Great effort from all

A young team that can improve

Southgate will, hopefully, find what’s missing.

A genuine creative force in midfield is badly required. Chances in open play were something we lacked through the WC.

As good a players Sterling, Alli & Lingard are i don't think any of them were "played" in the most preferred position. Hence none of them really dazzling, though for effort and graft I think Lingard and Sterling can be commended. Am still not convinced about Alli as an "England" player yet.

Maybe there is another player who would fit in midfield better and enable a better midfield combination/outcome. A Lallana, Ox, RLC or even Wilshire??

Edited by jimmyjoojar

Pleased with how Southgate approached it all, however what is clear is that:-

- struggle to score from open play

- struggle to bring quality of the bench (ie we only have what is in the first 11)

Problem with the next tournament, is that the press will whip up hysteria and everyone will have much higher expectation.

That said, missed a great opportunity to get to a World Cup Final

One thing I'll say is that I'm not a big believer in "next time" or planning for the future in international football.

Anything can happen in two years and it isn't in Southgate's or the FA's control. A tournament is a separate entity and next time it will be different.

Not complaining, we overachieved. But it has no bearing on 2 years and certainly not 4 years. Those tournaments will depend upon form, fitness for us and other teams at the time. 

We did this with the golden generation - next time, in 4 years they'll be stronger etc etc....

What I'm excited for the future is that now England have it's own identity, their own style, Spain had/have their tiki-taka and England now have this, not sure if it has a name, but I'll call it the Southgate to heaven

3 ball playing cb's, 2 attacking wingbacks with excellent delivery, a non stop midfielder in Henderson, pace and power upfront, everygame we have created chances, we are absolutely lethal at set pieces, we are inventive with them too (John Stones 2nd goal vs Panama) training drills showing off on the pitch.

There are exciting players coming through and players like Oxlade and Lallana will come back into the scene in the future, Ox was in great form before his injury as was Lallana, who played a big part in our qualifying.

After what happened at the WC2014 and against Iceland in the 2016, England leave this tournament with restored pride and excitement for the future, most of our team have now gained valuable experience and are young, I can see England and GS being so successful in the future, this style will only get better, it's evident it can be improved on, but it's very evident it's the way we should go forward and is clearly working, set backs against Tunisia, Colombia and Croatia all down to England failing to get a 2nd goal and chances missed, is that a fault of GS? 

One thing I'll say is that I'm not a big believer in "next time" or planning for the future in international football.

Anything can happen in two years and it isn't in Southgate's or the FA's control. A tournament is a separate entity and next time it will be different.

Not complaining, we overachieved. But it has no bearing on 2 years and certainly not 4 years. Those tournaments will depend upon form, fitness for us and other teams at the time. 

We did this with the golden generation - next time, in 4 years they'll be stronger etc etc....

Difference for me is the stability and unity from grass roots up and the success of the youth teams - something we've not had in my lifetime (ever?)

We've followed the German model and it's already bearing fruit.  Never felt so positive about a tournament exit :) 

Difference for me is the stability and unity from grass roots up and the success of the youth teams - something we've not had in my lifetime (ever?)

We've followed the German model and it's already bearing fruit.  Never felt so positive about a tournament exit :)

But we have no control on those players in the unders squads progressing. Their clubs have to play them. That is the issue.

The German model worked...or was it simply they had a world class generation of players at the right time? Given it seems now that generation is past it and they didn't seem to have much behind it.

For England to really progress I believe we need English players playing regular in the premiership and across the top leagues in Europe. Only a 3rd of the premiership are English players and we basically have nobody abroad. Croatia's team was full of players playing in top leagues across Europe with champions league winners medals.

What I'm excited for the future is that now England have it's own identity, their own style, Spain had/have their tiki-taka and England now have this, not sure if it has a name, but I'll call it the Southgate to heaven

3 ball playing cb's, 2 attacking wingbacks with excellent delivery, a non stop midfielder in Henderson, pace and power upfront, everygame we have created chances, we are absolutely lethal at set pieces, we are inventive with them too (John Stones 2nd goal vs Panama) training drills showing off on the pitch.

There are exciting players coming through and players like Oxlade and Lallana will come back into the scene in the future, Ox was in great form before his injury as was Lallana, who played a big part in our qualifying.

After what happened at the WC2014 and against Iceland in the 2016, England leave this tournament with restored pride and excitement for the future, most of our team have now gained valuable experience and are young, I can see England and GS being so successful in the future, this style will only get better, it's evident it can be improved on, but it's very evident it's the way we should go forward and is clearly working, set backs against Tunisia, Colombia and Croatia all down to England failing to get a 2nd goal and chances missed, is that a fault of GS? 

Yes and no.  He can't kick the ball in the net, obvs, but his system lacks the ability to be more responsive.  Players are mostly young so you'd think that will also come with experience.  He also has to work with what he;s got and he has overachieved to be fair.  Had he a world class play maker at his disposal . . .

What I like about GS is that he clearly thinks and reflects - he'll learn from this and I don't see him going anywhere for a while

Edited by madthatter

Great effort from all

A young team that can improve

Southgate will, hopefully, find what’s missing.

Any of the 11 players being creative would be a start. Just a team of runners with no one who can play a ball. Would have looked very poor against any of the better teams.

Genuinely can't understand anyone who thinks there are signs we can go on and compete regularly with this team. All the stick about Allardyce's style for football and Southgate is lauded for a team who can only score from set pieces.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.