Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England V Colombia

gonzo

Not Columbia

I’d start with the team that started v Panama.

Maybe Rose instead of Young, but don’t mind young for ball retention/steady head.

Wouldn’t put Ali back in if he’s fit. Think we are more fluid without him.

ask anyone before the tournament starts we would face the 3 teams in the Group then Columbia, Sweden / Switzerland to qualify for the Semi Final of the world Cup which we havent got anywhere near for nearly 30 years every man & his dog would've bitten your hand off

very happy with the Columbia tie. players will be more switched on than if we had played Japan for me as they know they can be a threat

we probably wont have another better opportunity to get to a WC semi final & beyond in my lifetime

Just as positive if not more so than before the game yesterday, comfortable 2-0 win 

ask anyone before the tournament starts we would face the 3 teams in the Group then Columbia, Sweden / Switzerland to qualify for the Semi Final of the world Cup which we havent got anywhere near for nearly 30 years every man & his dog would've bitten your hand off

very happy with the Columbia tie. players will be more switched on than if we had played Japan for me as they know they can be a threat

we probably wont have another better opportunity to get to a WC semi final & beyond in my lifetime

Just as positive if not more so than before the game yesterday, comfortable 2-0 win 

Pretty much this. Its a dream draw. Doesn't mean you take Colombia or whoever comes after likely. These are 50:50 games. But for knockout games England have to be happy with that sort of a chance. 

We might have better players than these sides, but we also have a terrible history in world cup knockouts, so it balances out.

Would people seriously want us in the part of the draw with Brazil?

and France, Argentina, Portugal & Uruguay

James being injured could be a huge loss to Columbia.

Also looking slightly further on, Spain v Croatia QF is no gimme for either side 

Not Columbia

I’d start with the team that started v Panama.

Maybe Rose instead of Young, but don’t mind young for ball retention/steady head.

Wouldn’t put Ali back in if he’s fit. Think we are more fluid without him.

i'm in agreement with this

Rose in over young, thought Rose was our best player last night

RLC has done no wrong imo, i knew very little of him coming into the tournament, but he's been very impressive

i'm confident we can beat colombia

james is a massive miss for them

• Site Supporter

If we do get through - Quarter final saturday 7th July 3pm kick off - has all dayer down the pub written all over it  :thumbsup:  :drinks:

I'll be on a plane with no wifi so this is a very sore subject.

We should have won the group

cunts

Think it will be the same team that played vs Tunisia myself but wouldn't be surprised to see Rose and RLC start, was a bit surprised RLC played v Belgium given he was on a yellow card, perhaps that suggest he won't start and was worth a risk or perhaps he's been impressive and GS wanted to see more? 

---

This is a huge chance to get to a semi final and no one knows how good England actually are yet, our first team have won 2 out 2 and are flying. Stones played but came off injured at 0-0, the only other certain first teamer was Pickford and well he was the big negative, looked proper dodgy.

Columbia probably wouldn't have lost with 11 men v Japan (who knows) played great v an abysmal Poland and very average vs Senegal and they have their main player injury hit,

They like us have had joy from set pieces and crosses, can't allow players like Quintero cutting in on his left foot like Januzaj did.

Edited by Didledee

Pretty much this. Its a dream draw. Doesn't mean you take Colombia or whoever comes after likely. These are 50:50 games. But for knockout games England have to be happy with that sort of a chance.

We might have better players than these sides, but we also have a terrible history in world cup knockouts, so it balances out.

Yes

I think Mexico will beat Brazil and we would have had Japan, Mexico then Uruguay or Belgium

Now it’s Colombia, Sweden or Switzerland then Spain or Croatia

Much tougher route for me

Yes

I think Mexico will beat Brazil and we would have had Japan, Mexico then Uruguay or Belgium

sorry mate i dont agree

Japan yes id prefer that but then, its Mexico / Brazil. whoever wins that is very tough regardless. No one can say Mexico would be an easy game if they had just turned Brazil over?

Then, Uruguay / Portugal / Argentina or France 

tough tough games whoever the opponents are, a lot tougher than the side we're on 

Edited by barrycowdrill

Yes

Your analysis is really odd. Sweden beat Mexico 3-0 but Mexico are going to turn Brazil over? Ok......

Who said turn them over? I think Mexico will progress though

Granted they were awful against a decent Sweden side but looked very good in the other two games

On the other hand Brazil have laboured in all three games against weaker opposition than Mexico

I think both Mexico and Sweden will progress and we are now in the half with Sweden, as you say they beat Mexico 3-0 which for me backs up why we are in the harder part of the draw

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.