Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Atherton Colls V Bwfc

Leyther_Matt

• Moderators

I'm not sure if the Scarborough crowd was entirely accurate... We also had that sort of figure against Marine without issue. There was no need for us all to bust our bollocks like we did.

In context, Colls are in the Evo West, the league above is the Evo Prem, this is the highest level of genuine non-league football. Plenty of the teams in and around us can pull 4 figure crowds.

There was no need for us all to bust our bollocks like we did.

In reality though, did anybody have to bust their bollocks? - what did you have to do that was out of the norm?

So would Colls have been disappointed with a crowd of c700 do you reckon?

• Site Supporter

In reality though, did anybody have to bust their bollocks? - what did you have to do that was out of the norm?

Id say yes looking at previous years.

• Moderators

Absolutely, the pitch had to be up to scratch which is virtually fucking impossible in this weather. Teams are calling games off, ours was good enough to have pros playing on it due to volunteers grafting 24/7, entirely for this game.

Absolutely, the pitch had to be up to scratch which is virtually fucking impossible in this weather. Teams are calling games off, ours was good enough to have pros playing on it due to volunteers grafting 24/7, entirely for this game.

I didn't realise that

Bit of a pisser then, especially if the club did suggest that some of the proper players would be turning up, and then they sent the stiffs and kids - hopefully they at least left some stuff afterwards for you lot to raffle off 

Parky last season was impressed with the pitch and said he would have sent some 1st team if had been aware of its quality. This year they sent the BWFC groundsman to inspect the pitch to confirm it was good enough for first-teamers, this happened last Sat morn when he gave the seal of approval. 

Others on here are more ITK on what happened last night but I believe at 5pm a decision was made not to play the first team.

I was chatting to Marc Iles pre-game and he was expecting the first team to play 45 to 60 minutes.

He didn't know they weren't coming until David Lee arrived and broke the news about 15 mins ahead of a load of kids pretending to be Bolton players turned up.

If those kids are our future, send the fucking diggers in and sack Jimmy Phillips, they were shit.

As for Colls, it looked like a very well-organised set up. Plenty of food and drink outlets available so little/no queuing and I got the impression that people were actually made to feel welcome :  a lesson Bolton could learn.

Re: the first team not even showing to sign a few autographs, it's another piss poor PR effort.

No slight on them but making 700 people welcome is slightly easier than 15 to 20000.

Really?

Hadn't thought about that.

In which case, it's fine for Bolton to treat the "customer" like an unwelcome cunt.

Don’t know what Colls fans are moaning about its up to BWFC who they send there to play, there was 700 on when usually for a league game they get 200. BWFC have given them a pay day and it’s not as though the opposition is good enough for a decent run out for proper footballers.

I was chatting to Marc Iles pre-game and he was expecting the first team to play 45 to 60 minutes.

He didn't know they weren't coming until David Lee arrived and broke the news about 15 mins ahead of a load of kids pretending to be Bolton players turned up.

No surprise that Iles has no idea what's going on.  I wouldn't expect him to be getting much info from the club in the near future.

No surprise that Iles has no idea what's going on. I wouldn't expect him to be getting much info from the club in the near future.

Iles will get nothing out of the club now.

He revels in reporting negativity and last week he was loving it that the players had given the Ben a statement.

Small time journalist who should be reporting on non league football

Don’t know what Colls fans are moaning about its up to BWFC who they send there to play, there was 700 on when usually for a league game they get 200. BWFC have given them a pay day and it’s not as though the opposition is good enough for a decent run out for proper footballers.

I think you've missed the point.

If those kids are our future, send the fucking diggers in and sack Jimmy Phillips, they were shit.

As for Colls, it looked like a very well-organised set up. Plenty of food and drink outlets available so little/no queuing and I got the impression that people were actually made to feel welcome : a lesson Bolton could learn.

Re: the first team not even showing to sign a few autographs, it's another piss poor PR effort.

He was probably expecting them cos he’s thicker than mince. I’d never have expected first team to bother last night.

I had 100% sympathy with you and Traf Jnr for Saturday’s debacle, but I don’t think ire at the 1st team not being there last night is justified.

I give up.

I'm not going to keep repeating facts for you to tell me I'm wrong when you haven't got a fucking clue.

Was your point the PR exercise? If so were in the middle of pre season I’d rather players be resting after a full days training and getting ready for a full days training the next day than getting home at 11 o’clock after signing autographs at Atherton Colls.

BWFC ladies [ or BWFC] do not pay anything to use the facilities at Colls nor do we get any freebies, we do it to keep our good relationship with the club,

That is very commendable. Hopefully you keep any money that you get on the gate, however that might not be that much. I look forward to going down to watch Colls the only other time I have been is to watch a Bolton game.

Edited by Mounts Kipper