Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Reading Away

burnden

Going down that route again.

Looking at the odd result in isolation is hardly appropriate.

I'd be intrigued to see these sorts of stats for all teams in a league over a whole season.

As we have had a decent start teams may set up to frustrate us and we will need to be open teams up from time to time.

Without looking, I'm guessing leicester had less possession throughout the season when they won the league

Counter attack

Without looking, I'm guessing leicester had less possession throughout the season when they won the league

Counter attack

At the minute you see teams with a play from the back style dominate possession against more direct opponents but the number of chances created are roughly the same.

It can be a worthless statistic unless you have an axe to grind with a particular manager.

I do wonder if the folk criticising Parky and how we played were the same ones who moaned Sam was boring, SKD was too slow, jay-jay never tackled back and gave Nolan shit.

I guess they just a mind set

I think its lots of things. There are a few, not on here, but elsewhere, who claim to support the club, but clearly enjoy it losing and struggling.

Then I think there are the usual purists and teenage fantasists who watch more premier league than anything else and can't really get into their home town club grinding out results.

Then there are the Rioch generation who started following us around then and can't accept that football is a different beast now. Or don't want to.

Fans are odd - not just at our club. How many City fans can't really enjoy their current success because they aren't having the same experiences they had following them in the 70s or 80s. People want what they don't have often I think. Football fans are far less homogeneous than they once were. 

• Site Supporter

At the minute you see teams with a play from the back style dominate possession against more direct opponents but the number of chances created are roughly the same.

It can be a worthless statistic unless you have an axe to grind with a particular manager.

Or if poor quality football isn't your thing?

I too am not a fan of passing around purely for the sake of it, it can be equally boring and unentertaining.

There is a fundamental point though, that whilst you've got it, they can't score and you can. 30% possession is undeniably going to cost you at some point. Hopefully we have it within the team to be able to come from behind.

We can all accept that our manager has worked with one hand behind his back, and that overall he has done well.

That doesn't mean he's beyond reproach with some of the tactics and I personally don't 'enjoy' a lot of what is offered up. Sure I can accept it as a means to an end, but equally want to see some evolution- which I actually believe is happening.

We all pay our money to watch and will see things differently, but that's the 'beauty' of the game.

Or if poor quality football isn't your thing?

I too am not a fan of passing around purely for the sake of it, it can be equally boring and unentertaining.

There is a fundamental point though, that whilst you've got it, they can't score and you can. 30% possession is undeniably going to cost you at some point. Hopefully we have it within the team to be able to come from behind.

We can all accept that our manager has worked with one hand behind his back, and that overall he has done well.

That doesn't mean he's beyond reproach with some of the tactics and I personally don't 'enjoy' a lot of what is offered up. Sure I can accept it as a means to an end, but equally want to see some evolution- which I actually believe is happening.

We all pay our money to watch and will see things differently, but that's the 'beauty' of the game.

Highly subjective though isn't it. 

I quite enjoy physical, direct teams that upset the odds. Its harder to rattle the big boys playing the same game they do.

I quite enjoy physical, direct teams that upset the odds. Its harder to rattle the big boys playing the same game they do.

If my team is winning I don't care if they play like current era man City, like 80s Wimbledon or the ultra defensive style loved by 90s Italian sides

• Site Supporter

Precisely, and as I've said before, don't mind a direct game, but go for it.

Knock it long, with a degree of accuracy and get folk up to support.

I also believe sjm has a decent eye for goal and would like to see a good few crosses going in, as per ameobi at West Bromwich

We needlessly gave away so much possession in the second half

Belt it out or just hoof it

It wasn't down to tactics. It was nervousness

If they had decent strikers they would have won. Plenty of teams in this division do

They didn't. So they didn't but I don't think we should think were not in for a struggle

• Site Supporter

We needlessly gave away so much possession in the second half

Belt it out or just hoof it

It wasn't down to tactics. It was nervousness

If they had decent strikers they would have won. Plenty of teams in this division do

They didn't. So they didn't but I don't think we should think were not in for a struggle

I agree, but on the back of our start I've gone from expecting us to go down to thinking mid to lower table.

Cheery fucker that I am.

• Moderators

I think its lots of things. There are a few, not on here, but elsewhere, who claim to support the club, but clearly enjoy it losing and struggling.

Then I think there are the usual purists and teenage fantasists who watch more premier league than anything else and can't really get into their home town club grinding out results.

Then there are the Rioch generation who started following us around then and can't accept that football is a different beast now. Or don't want to.

Fans are odd - not just at our club. How many City fans can't really enjoy their current success because they aren't having the same experiences they had following them in the 70s or 80s. People want what they don't have often I think. Football fans are far less homogeneous than they once were. 

I know one and he convinces himself City are still the underdog, up against it all the time and never do things the easy way, cos, you know, they're city (richest club in the world record breaking PL points tally City)

I know one and he convinces himself City are still the underdog, up against it all the time and never do things the easy way, cos, you know, they're city (richest club in the world record breaking PL points tally City)

My city supporting mate is enjoying the ride before it all goes tits up in a spectacular city kind of way.

• Members

My city supporting mate is enjoying the ride before it all goes tits up in a spectacular city kind of way.

Don't expect it any time soon. I can see a period of domination coming akin to what those red bastards up the road did under whisky nose.