Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Reading Away

burnden

Our worst run also came with madine up front. We got relegated with him leading the line. Not a champions hip player in a million years, would love us to play against him sometime. We scored 3 on last day when ALF came on, scored 1, set up 2. Wilbraham scored the goal of the decade but if that game had to be replayed you would want ALF to start ahead of AW as we all would.

I wouldn’t. I thought ALF was a waste of space most of last season. Great off the bench but as a starter did very little. A good impact sub and I thought the team picked last day was best we could do in the circumstances. Worked well. Should have picked Wilbraham sooner and it wouldn’t have gone to the last day.

Our worst run also came with madine up front. We got relegated with him leading the line. Not a champions hip player in a million years, would love us to play against him sometime. We scored 3 on last day when ALF came on, scored 1, set up 2. Wilbraham scored the goal of the decade but if that game had to be replayed you would want ALF to start ahead of AW as we all would.

I wouldn't,  we were going down with Le Fondre starting upfront & picking Wilbrahim for the Forest game was proven to be the right choice.

and....Parky was a genius for keeping us in the championship with Wilbrahim, Le Fondre & Walker as his choice of strikers........2 are now in the 4th division & the other had to go to the Australian pub league to get a game.

No one wants a shit load of possession.

Just an end to giving the ball away for no reason.

We really need to stop confusing the 2

Well said. Whenever I see that mad 60 seconds that kept us up, I am eternally grateful for that pass by a forest midfielder that was well over hit under no pressure. 20 seconds later AW was heading us to safety. A big difference between being like Silva or Messi and simply being able to weather a storm by putting a few passes together with composure. I'm certain Otzumer would improve us massively in that department.

I've never made someone a scapegoat in all my 40+ years following the Wanderers. Doesn't mean I haven't shown my frustration with a player at a particular time, or not rated one. In recent seasons we've had plenty I've not rated so wouldn't be easy picking a scapegoat out even if I was that way inclined.

I know a fair bit about Will Buckley having watched him come through at Rochdale as a young lad. Not sure he's current Championship standard but he'd look better if he was played on the right, where he's at his best, and where he'd be in front of a better full back.

Madine was very good in that period. He won us a lot of games with his all round performance. When he left we had nobody suitable to replace him with.

That’s not anything other than plainly obvious.

It's just opinions and mine is that we were held back by having a player up front with no pace and no shooting ability. Magennis is no world beater but just looks like he offers far more. We are no longer restricted in how we build attacks so we won't have 2 points after 11 games.

I wouldn't,  we were going down with Le Fondre starting upfront & picking Wilbrahim for the Forest game was proven to be the right choice.

and....Parky was a genius for keeping us in the championship with Wilbrahim, Le Fondre & Walker as his choice of strikers........2 are now in the 4th division & the other had to go to the Australian pub league to get a game.

Parky signed 2 strikers that are now at Rochdale and Mansfield. And we are supposed to say that supports a theory he has a good eye for a player? You've lost me there.

Spot on. Early indications are we have better players and I’m guessing a lower wage bill. Can’t complain.

I wouldn’t. I thought ALF was a waste of space most of last season. Great off the bench but as a starter did very little. A good impact sub and I thought the team picked last day was best we could do in the circumstances. Worked well. Should have picked Wilbraham sooner and it wouldn’t have gone to the last day.

That's 1 thing we agree on. We would have stopped up more comfortably if parky had picked a different forward line.

I've never made someone a scapegoat in all my 40+ years following the Wanderers. Doesn't mean I haven't shown my frustration with a player at a particular time, or not rated one. In recent seasons we've had plenty I've not rated so wouldn't be easy picking a scapegoat out even if I was that way inclined.

I know a fair bit about Will Buckley having watched him come through at Rochdale as a young lad. Not sure he's current Championship standard but he'd look better if he was played on the right, where he's at his best, and where he'd be in front of a better full back.

He has the ability. But the issue is the number of injuries he’s had. If he were at his best he’d been amongst our best players. But injuries seem to have hurt him a lot.

Parky signed 2 strikers that are now at Rochdale and Mansfield. And we are supposed to say that supports a theory he has a good eye for a player? You've lost me there.

One was a 38 year old free transfer & the other was a cheap short term loan, which shows the market that Parky had to shop in, & by keeping us up with such limited players shows what a tremendous job he has done for us.

• Members

You're wasting your time

Think we all are. One of those 'pick a fight in a telephone box' types.

FFS, we have won 2 aways and drawn 1 home game. I will repeat that in bold - we have won 2 aways and drawn 1 home game.

Just contemplate that for a while; cast your mind back to the start of last season and, FFS, just enjoy the moments we have had so far.

If you can't enjoy a start like that as a football (particularly BWFC) fan, find something else to whinge about. Miserable, moaning cunts need not apply.

One of the reasons we stayed up was the fact that so many teams were absolutely dog shit last season, realistically they should have relegated 4 or 5 teams just for being woeful (us included for large parts of it)

Week after week the teams below us kept losing

Not quite the miracle that’s being made out

Don’t forget two of the teams we managed to get ahead of in the last 5 minutes of the season were Barnsley and Burton, it wasn’t the Premier League

That’s because the manager continued to play a system that didn’t suit a 5ft 2 goal sniffer up top on his own.

But let’s not go there again eh :)

Edited by gonzo

You don't fall for that top scorer nonsense surely? If Wilbraham had been the only striker picked for 6 months, hardly ever got subbed and took pens and plenty free kicks, he would have been our 'irreplaceable' top scorer. Wilbraham leaves and suddenly the manager is a genius for just about getting enough points with ALF up front (although he had to shift Tyler Walker first).

No thinking about you are right losing Madine was not an issue.

One of the reasons we stayed up was the fact that so many teams were absolutely dog shit last season, realistically they should have relegated 4 or 5 teams just for being woeful (us included for large parts of it)

Don’t forget two of the teams we managed to get ahead of in the last 5 minutes of the season were Barnsley and Burton, it wasn’t the Premier League

We stayed up because 3 teams had worse records than us. We stumbled over the line but the middle period of the season we were top half in terms of form and results.

The reality is we will have shitty patches this season. I dread to think what it will be like in here.

That’s because the manager continued to play a system that didn’t suit a 5ft 2 goal sniffer up top on his own.

But let’s not go there again eh :)

There isn't a way to play that suits that player without a big lad alongside him doing the donkey work. And again that would've meant playing Wilbraham. 

That is always the case. When you stay up its because there are three worse teams. None of the relegated teams had the financial restrictions we had though. None were in embargo in the summer with serious restrictions on who they could sign. They all spent more than we did. 

The reality is we will have shitty patches this season. I dread to think what it will be like in here.

I dread to think what it will be like if we lost on Wednesday, Parky out etc

This is an unbelievable start. Absolutely delighted and impossible not to enjoy what feels like our first great start for a long time!