Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Coyle

maje

• Moderators

He was unlucky to a degree with Holden and Lee, but not Muamba, he only played against Spurs as it was a cup game

Not sure unlucky is the word but despite everything had we not spunked that 2-0 lead v West Brom we'd have stayed up

Our best run that season came when he played 5 in the middle in Jan when we got 7 points from 4 v Liverpool, arsenal and away at Everton

Yet he just couldn't wait to play 4-4-2 with no spoiler in the middle

He was a stubborn prick

But he wasn't a cunt

Megson was a cunt

Why was he unlucky with Muamba ?

He had stopped playing him. We had our best midfield two for years and he changed it round.

Not a cunt for me but a terrible manager.

To be completely honest I’d forgotten that he’d stopped playing him before that cup game

He can go up a level of shitness then

His treatment of Muamba possibly saved his life in a bizarre way. If he'd have been in favour then he'd possibly have had that heart attack at somewhere that wasn't White Hart Lane. The fact he had it there is what saved him.

Anyway, for me, Coyle was a fucking useless manager, but I can't bring myself to think of him as a cunt.

I'll always have a soft spot for Owen Coyle just from when I was a lad.

We used to live at a house on Wigan Rd just near the traffic lights where it meets Beaumont Rd. The week before we travelled down to Wembley for the play off final I'd dressed our living room window up with flags and scarves and shirts and stuff. One night I heard a load of beeping from the road and my Mum called me to the front room. Owen Coyle was parked at the lights giving it a big thumbs up. Meant a lot to me as a nipper that did.

Memory slightly ruined by the fact that he botched the Manager job mind :)

He's not the greatest manager - but he's no cunt.

I'll always have a soft spot for Owen Coyle just from when I was a lad.

One night I heard a load of beeping from the road and my Mum called me to the front room. Owen Coyle was parked at the lights giving it a big thumbs up.

His pre match team talks never evolved from that!

There are poor managers who just don’t have the ability but try and do everything in their ability to improve results.

There are poor managers who don’t have the ability, but when offered help, refuse it and stubbornly refuse to change even when senior players ask them if they should be spending some time maybe working on a defence that conceded 4 or on set pieces, rather than having a ping pong tournament and eating pic n mix.

Coyle was taking Burnley down till we took him on

They got sussed out and he had no plan b

Just like we eventually got sussed out and he had no plan b

The idea he had cult status amongst fans from his playing days is bollocks

I didn't want him to get the job and I was at Burnley away on boxing day when it all turned nasty on Megson

You could argue Burnley had no real right to be up? As for taking them down I think it was nearly agreed he was signing wilshire and Holden for Burnley before moving. Lots of ifs and buts, not clear cut though

His treatment of Muamba possibly saved his life in a bizarre way. If he'd have been in favour then he'd possibly have had that heart attack at somewhere that wasn't White Hart Lane.

Maybe it was just the shock of being selected that did him. If Coyle had started him more often he might still be playing.

Maybe it was just the shock of being selected that did him. If Coyle had started him more often he might still be playing.

i dunno where i read it ( his book ?) but i remember he said he kinda knew he were on the 'outside' and overdid it with the personal training routines in the off-season , to prove (to coyle?) he still had it.

fitness fanatic , cardiac arrest ; gets tons of results on google..

Coyle I liked as a player & was glad when he got the job although I thought Megson did a decent job but pissed on his own chips by being a contrary fucker

The West Brom game did for us & Owen's tactical genius to bring on the half fit brittle CYL to stem the flow down our right side will haunt most of us forever

Coupled with the other sub the non tackling Klasnic did for us .

Cant forgive the ineptitude just totally out of his depth ....but not a cunt.

It’s his continued belief that he’s a genius in management that winds me up - I guess believing in himself and having such a positive outlook is no bad thing but whatever he does doesn’t work. I’ve had it at places I’ve worked people totally inept clearly out of their depth they know I knew it we all knew it yet they plough on pretending ..... it’s that just be honest enough to admit you’re not up to it or you need to get more experience training and go again.