Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bradshaw

DazBob

Presumably they're happy for their juniors to be travelling here, there and everywhere and parents have all been consulted and are on board?

... Or will they expect their juniors to allowed to stay in BCL like Egerton did?

Edited by DazBob

• Site Supporter

The GML have regional junior games. Furthest Bradshaw would travel is maybe Rochdale way. Is that any worse than going to Walkden?

And talking of junior cricket; I lost count of the number of junior wickets we cut, rolled, marked and then the opposition opted to no-show. So I'd spent a few hours getting things ready for some wanker not to bother turning up. Maybe the teams in GML put more respect into the game rather than not bothering showing up because Bradshaw had a reasonable U15 side. (Or U13, 11, etc.)

• Site Supporter

Can't speak for Egerton at all, I have nothing to do with that club. I attended the meeting at Bradshaw but felt that these things ought to be decided upon by the players rather than the members. After all, creating a playing surface for BCL is no different than for GML so my part in the process doesn't change. 
I'd imagine, however, that the folk who run Bradshaw aren't idiots. They will have spoken to people before announcing their plans for the future. It does, however, seem that someone mixed up "opinion" and "rule" when giving the club advice.

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Sorry, thats the easy way out.

we will agree to disagree

Clubs who cant field juniors should be given 12 months to sort it before sanctions apply.

If there was a senior points deduction, I am sure walkden, farnworth and kearsley would do something about the situation.

Times are changing. There’s more activities than ever before for cricket clubs to compete against. Summer football being a big one for us. 

Think how many miles are between Clifton, Kearsley, Farnworth, Farnworth Social Circle and Walkden and how many schools play cricket in that area. Last year we had a good group of under 7s and 8 year olds and they have football training on a Monday night all summer. Can’t compete with football, it’s that simple. 

• Site Supporter

Should make the clubs who fail to show for any junior fixture pay the wages for the ground staff because they still need to prepare a wicket. 

At Bradshaw, teams would no-show because it was completely the opposite side of town. Strangely, when those teams were playing Eagley or Tonge and were in with a reasonable chance of a win, being the opposite side of town wasn't an issue. I've no doubt many teams with a decent junior set up suffered similarly.

• Site Supporter

From the constitution of Bolton Cricket League.

Membership The League shall consist of not more than 24 clubs.

Applications will only be considered after any vacancies have been advertised.

Those clubs who have in the past been elected to the membership of the league and are still participating in the league structure.

A condition of continuing membership is that all clubs should field two senior teams each week and junior sides as informed to the league prior to the commencement of the league season.

That pretty much says D/H and a number of other clubs aren't fulfilling their commitment to the future of their own clubs. There was talk, towards the end of last season, that D/H and Atherton or Little Hulton were to provide a junior team between them. What a load of bollocks that is (Unless the constitution changes to "A condition of continuing membership is that all clubs should field two senior teams each week and at least a half of a junior side."

Agree with most of that, but allowing teams to merge offers cricket to kids that wouldn’t normally get it. 

Kearsley and Farnworth have merged the u13s and U11s. This isn’t to win more games or because both clubs are lazy. Both clubs could fill an u13s side but both would be asking kids to make the numbers up and asking a kid that’s not upto it has all sorts of issues. 

Both clubs are playing U15s and u18s and Kearsley u9s. That’s a lot of cricket to get in, the number of kids that play means quite a bit of cross age group which some can deal with but some could get hurt. I notice Bradshaw and Horwich aren’t competing at u18s. 

• Moderators

Nothing at all to do with numbers at Horwich. We could of put a team out and walked the league.

We decided to play the under 18s in the 3rd team on a Sunday. 40 overs and better opposition. Most of them are playing 1st or 2nd x1 and the under 18s is just a waste of time for everyone