Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ashes 2019

SalfordOriginal

3 hours ago, Smiley said:

Dreadful weather yesterday. That wind was pretty aggressive. Saw a few fences go tumbling inside the ground. 

Can’t believe it was £5.50 a pint. Only a fiver at Headingley!

No doubt the Yorkies moaned about it

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Didledee said:

Momentum was  the word used for what Stokes did, for the series. well the selectors removed most of that even before a ball was bowled. pathetic couple of days, not winnable now, just hope for rain.

One change of an out of form player, and the selectors have removed positivity?

Could England have bowled better- yes. Is it the end of the world- no.

Pitch is a slow road, and it is incumbent upon England's batsmen to do well on it.

More showers expected too.

A draw is the most likely result, but there are many factors behind it.

30 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Pitch is a slow road, and it is incumbent upon England's batsmen to do well on it.

The positivity came solely from Stokes and Archer with his bowling, though him bowling low to mid eighties was disappointing, our poor batting at the top wasn't changed bar changing Roy and Denly round, it might work out, but I think we could have looked to bring in some fresh players for clear out of form ones. not sure Overton is that great, though Woakes deserved dropping.

Curran did well last summer, many good things said about Pope and Sibley.

Again though we would have gotten Australia out for summat decent without Smith, so it's not all doom and gloom, just can't get him out for cheap and out dropped catches have let us down.

Sorry for edit, but I wasn't saying the selectors making a change removed positivity, I was wanting the selectors to make more changes to a team that without one or two have been pretty poor.

Edited by Didledee

5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You think we will get a draw? Unless it rains or we suddenly find a way to bat for 2 and a half days then I find it very unlikely.

We bowled incredibly poorly with no discipline and for long periods looked like we couldn’t be arsed. It made no sense after Headingley. 

Aussies will probe outside off stump and whilst pitch isn’t doing much that is all you need do against both these batting line ups.

Smith is superb but England have been awful and abysmal for two days. 

I think it’s unlikely Australia will need to bat again.

6 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

You think we will get a draw? Unless it rains or we suddenly find a way to bat for 2 and a half days then I find it very unlikely.

We bowled incredibly poorly with no discipline and for long periods looked like we couldn’t be arsed. It made no sense after Headingley. 

Aussies will probe outside off stump and whilst pitch isn’t doing much that is all you need do against both these batting line ups.

Smith is superb but England have been awful and abysmal for two days. 

I think it’s unlikely Australia will need to bat again.

Can we get a draw? Yes

Do I think we wll? No

Did I think we'd win last week? No

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Traf said:

It has to be said that whatever the results, this is a pretty piss poor England team right now.

Batting yes. Bowling is ok. Just needs a bit more support from those with the willow.

I do get frustrated with the negativity. Presenters of sports bulletins almost gloating that Australia have had a good day.

Back your team then be critical after. Of course they've not been great, we know that, but let's see what happens today. If the rain stops.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Batting yes. Bowling is ok. Just needs a bit more support from those with the willow.

I do get frustrated with the negativity. Presenters of sports bulletins almost gloating that Australia have had a good day.

Back your team then be critical after. Of course they've not been great, we know that, but let's see what happens today. If the rain stops.

We've two bowlers in Broad and Archer. I remain to be convinced that others are really test quality as bowlers. Including Stokes. I think we're a quality spinner and one more out and out test quality quick away. 

URGENT! Mate just called me. He's printed out our tickets for tomorrow...... and they're for today. None of us can make it. So we've 4 going spare if anyone wants to make a very cheeky offer for them - can email over. Play should start around 2pm. And in the meantime, on the lookout for 4 tickets for tomorrow now! Captain Fuckup will be his new nickname!!

• Site Supporter

They have the world's best batsman. By quite some way, who flies in the face of coaching books.

So far we have a couple of lads who have scored 80 and a 70. That would put them second and third in their innings in terms of scores.

Still plenty to do, but another hundred and the follow on is saved.

They have done well today and deserve credit, not criticism.

Whatever happens tomorrow, they deserve support.

2 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Australia bowled way better than we did. It’s a fairly slow pitch. They stuck at it with some really testing spells even when Root and Burns looked set. We bowled terribly. That’s what it comes down to. 

fancy you embracing the negative!

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Boothy said:

Smith is a class above but look on the bright side, Australias batting is going to be woeful in 20 years with their young un learning terrible technique 

Or maybe bringing up an entire team of unorthodox batters each capable of 200+ each innings.

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Rubbish from Archer

We're doomed

We're going to be ok.

Avoid the follow on, Jos to have a thrash. Trail by 150.

They will look to put another 200+ on and lose a few wickets in doing so.

Bat out time tomorrow.

Onto London, warmer at the oval, Archer to skittle the buggers and we win the ashes.

Sorted.

3 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

We’ve batted for 24 overs less than them but are over 200 runs behind. Just shows how terrible our bowling was. They scored at 4 an over. We are at 2.8.

Bit of context missing there