Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ashes 2019

SalfordOriginal

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, maaarsh said:

Interesting to see what the plan is with Roy - no record of success in first class cricket, so should they be telling him to go out and try and make 77 off 65

Quite possibly. Suppose the red ball can swing quite a bit more first up, but there are fewer fielders outlying.

Jennings seems to have gone right off for lancs and hameed done nowt special either.

If you're doing anything other than asking Roy to play his natural game you're wasting your time. He's going to frustrate people getting in then getting out. But in the circumstances there aren't better options. He'll have to find a way to naturally adapt slightly - because there will be times its about staying in for an hour. But I'd let him find his own way. 

If he clobbers them for 6 in over number 2 that's fine. Will give Aussies something to think about. I don't know if he's got the mentality to really make a go of it but I'm sure as hell certain that Jennings will never be an international batsman so Roy might as well have a go. 

2 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

If you're doing anything other than asking Roy to play his natural game you're wasting your time. He's going to frustrate people getting in then getting out. But in the circumstances there aren't better options. He'll have to find a way to naturally adapt slightly - because there will be times its about staying in for an hour. But I'd let him find his own way. 

If he clobbers them for 6 in over number 2 that's fine. Will give Aussies something to think about. I don't know if he's got the mentality to really make a go of it but I'm sure as hell certain that Jennings will never be an international batsman so Roy might as well have a go. 

That’s my way of thinking too, instead of letting the Aussie seamers pin us down, give those Kangaroo shagging convicts something to worry about.

Subdue them, get the crowd going and they’ll soon wish they were at home watching Cell Block H.

Yes, it’s a Len Fairclough thumbs up from me for Jason Roy.

• Site Supporter

So long as he pitches it up on bowler friendly wickets, then Broad is still a major threat.

Not an easy decision, though I think he now has to be judged purely as a bowler, not an all rounder.

At some point Curren has to come into thinking. He did very well yesterday, in putting pressure back on the bowlers.